HELP ! How Old is my Cham ?!?

I got my Cham from petco around 2 months ago and the lady told me he was about 2-3 months but it seems like she’s didn’t really know. Here are a few pics. Lol he started to get mad about all the pics..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 116
I hope you are well informed and have read the caresheets on this forum. Don't hesitate to ask questions, the only dumb question is the one not asked. Welcome aboard!
Thank you ! Yea I’ve done a lot of reading and I think I got Vekters cage looking good now with mistking system and live ficus tree with lots of branches and vines. Lol I think he’s been a happy guy lately.

You have to get a linear bulb my friend. Pick up a fixture that supports a 24" bulb and buy an Arcadia 6%. The bulb you are using is worthless, and will cause problems with your guy in the future.
How is this bulb worthless I asked some guys at this repltile store what kind of fixture and lights to get and he recommended this one

The bulb you are using directs uvb straight down. A linear bulb will spread out the uvb across the fixture. Some people in pet stores do not know what they are talking about and will sell you what they have. This site (chameleonforums) is specific for the care of Chameleons, and not a "reptile store." The collective consensus of this chameleon forum believes with strong conviction that linear uvb bulbs should be used. You joined this forum so you could engage with persons keeping chameleons as pets like you. I am simply advising you to the " standard of care."

Ok thank you for the help I’m going to find one as soon as I can! And the light is hanging about a foot and a half from his cage I put it farther because it started getting above 90 degrees and I thought it was too hot.

Ok thank you for the help I’m going to find one as soon as I can! And the light is hanging about a foot and a half from his cage I put it farther because it started getting above 90 degrees and I thought it was too hot.
Ok so he has not had any form or uvb lighting with that distance. He is high risk for mbd so you gotta get the t5 fixture and bulb asap. Lay the new fixture directly on the top of the cage and the basking level 7-8 inches below. As far as the heat. Lower your bulb wattage this will drop the heat level if you have it closer to the cage.

Ok so he has not had any form or uvb lighting with that distance. He is high risk for mbd so you gotta get the t5 fixture and bulb asap. Lay the new fixture directly on the top of the cage and the basking level 7-8 inches below. As far as the heat. Lower your bulb wattage this will drop the heat level if you have it closer to the cage.
Oh no ! Ok I’ll go pick one up tomorrow any brand recommendations? Also jus lay it on top middle or back of the cage ?

Oh no ! Ok I’ll go pick one up tomorrow any brand recommendations? Also jus lay it on top middle or back of the cage ?
Yeah so basically once you get past 8 inches with a compact you have nothing for UVB lighting reaching the cham. Even then it is only in the spot directly below the bulb. This is why we do not prefer them. So you are looking for a T5HO fixture that runs the length of the cage down the middle. You need this with a 5.0 uvb T5 bulb. You will need to upgrade his cage to a 2x2x4 size so you might as well get the fixture in a 24 inch length so it will work for the final cage size. In the mean time it will not hurt anything to hang over the sides. What you will find in the stores is the Zoo med brand. Just make sure it is a T5HO and not a T8. :)

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Definitely recommend a linear T5HO fixture for UVB. Artificial UVB radiation loses strength rapidly over distance especially when it has to pass through screen which is why we lay the fixture right on top of the screen cage.

Best thing to do until you can get the proper fixture and bulb is to take him outside for natural sun light for maybe 20-30 minutes acouple times per week. Maintaining a proper supplement schedule with calcium plus D3 being used twice per month will keep your guy healthy as well.

Just a friendly FYI in case you haven't read it yet but UVB will not pass through glass. We have seen people put there chams new a open window for natural UVB before because they did not understand UVB doesn't penetrate glass.

Yeah so basically once you get past 8 inches with a compact you have nothing for UVB lighting reaching the cham. Even then it is only in the spot directly below the bulb. This is why we do not prefer them. So you are looking for a T5HO fixture that runs the length of the cage down the middle. You need this with a 5.0 uvb T5 bulb. You will need to upgrade his cage to a 2x2x4 size so you might as well get the fixture in a 24 inch length so it will work for the final cage size. In the mean time it will not hurt anything to hang over the sides. What you will find in the stores is the Zoo med brand. Just make sure it is a T5HO and not a T8. :)

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Ok thank you so much ! I’m pretty worry for my guy now I’m gonna get the light today after work! Based on the pictures do you think he looks healthy?? I’ve had his light hung higher like that for about a month now.

Ok thank you so much ! I’m pretty worry for my guy now I’m gonna get the light today after work! Based on the pictures do you think he looks healthy?? I’ve had his light hung higher like that for about a month now.
Yeah so I am not seeing obvious signs of MBD but that does not mean that he does not have it. It makes the bones brittle. So essentially the calcium is sucked from the bones when they do not have the correct lighting and supplementation.
get the lighting asap since it has only been a month I think you may have caught it before it caused major issues.

If you would like to fill out this form with detail we can give you additional feedback on your husbandry. :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Definitely recommend a linear T5HO fixture for UVB. Artificial UVB radiation loses strength rapidly over distance especially when it has to pass through screen which is why we lay the fixture right on top of the screen cage.

Best thing to do until you can get the proper fixture and bulb is to take him outside for natural sun light for maybe 20-30 minutes acouple times per week. Maintaining a proper supplement schedule with calcium plus D3 being used twice per month will keep your guy healthy as well.

Just a friendly FYI in case you haven't read it yet but UVB will not pass through glass. We have seen people put there chams new a open window for natural UVB before because they did not understand UVB doesn't penetrate glass.
Ok thanks for the tip yea I try and take him out everyday for the sunlight and I have the calcium without D3 that I use on his crickets and sometimes his other feeders but mostly crickets and then the calcium with d3 and vitamins once a month as I was told but I’ll start doing it twice

Back
Top Bottom