Help, help help!

jenstar

So I woke up this morning to find Ink still in his sleeping spot. I thought this was kinda weird but whatever. When I got closer I saw there was something wrong with his eye. It looks like a huge amount of "sleep" is in there. I will fill out the "how to ask for help" but can someone possibly tell me what this is and a possible solution? The eye is still moving but I'm sure he can't see out of it. I need to be at work in an hour and i'm afraid to leave him :(

Can you take a picture? Mist him really good, towards the eye for a good bit to see if you can help him clean it out.

i have had a similar issue and i always use saline solution and a good shower, but as suggested i would put up some pics and the how to ask for help form

Update

Ok, so i put a saline solution together on a Qtip and dabbed his eye. It has now come off and his eye looks normal again. I put him back in his cage and set up a dripper. He's not moving like he would in the morning to drink. He is just sitting where i put him.

Here's what is looked like before:

CIMG3585.jpg

I would still mist the eye really well to help him remove whatever is still in there. I see you mentioned dripper-do you ever mist?

i have had a similar issue and i always use saline solution and a good shower, but as suggested i would put up some pics and the how to ask for help form
I don't have time before work to fill out that form but I will after work.. He's moving to his basking spot now so I hope he's ok. I will try to feed him now..

I would still mist the eye really well to help him remove whatever is still in there. I see you mentioned dripper-do you ever mist?
Oh yes I mist and I just bought a mist king so he gets regular mistings while I'm at work. That should be up and running this weekend.

it looks just lke what happens to my guy i just use a eye dropper with saline not the qtip i would def, be carefull with the qtip near his eye. i have found that my problem seem to be the result of a vit a problem. i would def, fill out the how to ask for help form so we can see if there are any areas that can be looked at.
also after the saline i have found that i need to keep his eye well moisturized untill he is able to clear out his eye or it just dries up and comes back.
JMO Hoj

it looks just lke what happens to my guy i just use a eye dropper with saline not the qtip i would def, be carefull with the qtip near his eye. i have found that my problem seem to be the result of a vit a problem. i would def, fill out the how to ask for help form so we can see if there are any areas that can be looked at.
also after the saline i have found that i need to keep his eye well moisturized untill he is able to clear out his eye or it just dries up and comes back.
JMO Hoj
would vasaline help?

He may have scratched his eye on a branch.. maybe there is a plant that is caused irritation. Or maybe he just got some debris in his eye.

When this happens to me , I give the chameleon a good long mist with warm water and they are able to clear out their eyes on their own. If it is more stubborn you can use some saline solution and a moist q-tip (like you did) to remove the film.

Sometimes all it takes is a few good mistings to flush out whatever is irritating the eye.

If the problem persists there may be an infection and antibiotics may be needed.

Last edited:
Re: Help Help Help

Defiantly stop with the Qtip, it is very abrasive and could do more damage. As stated by others, increase misting and showers. Also you can use the "Real Tears" drop to add extra hydration to the eye. If the stickiness persist or worsens best have a Vet Check. Also check all Temps and Humidity parameters. Good Luck!

Ok, all seems well now, it didn't come back since I was gone but we will see what he's like in the morning. In the mean time, here is the form.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Ambilobe Panther, male, 7 months old and has been in my care for 4 months.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
3 times a week. He doesn't get mad or puff up, just lets me pick him up and take him out.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
I feed him a mix of silk, wax, and butterworms everyday. As well as 10 or more crickets almost everyday. He gets fed every morning. The crickets are fed cricket feed by Bug Tub and the silks have cubed stuff that needs to be refrigerated (can't remember the brand).

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I dust with Rep-Cal calcium w/o D3 everyday and mix Rep-Cal's Herptivite and Calcium w/D3 twice a month.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I just bought a Mist King and need to get a drill to but the hole in the reservoir and then I will set it up to mist multiple times a day. Right now, I set a dripper in the morning and mist like crazy and then when I get home from work i set the dripper on again and mist like crazy. On days of, I mist every couple hours.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Dropping are brown in colour with white bit on end. Sometimes a bit yellow but that's only on days I work long and will be fixed once the mister is up and running.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
He's been fine up to this morning. healthy poops and always see him drinking when i put on the dripper. When he was in a smaller cage is was always hydrated properly and poops always with white bit.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
2x2x4 foot screen cage.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Zilla linear UVB light in a hood and a sunglo basking bulb in a dome.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
I have a digital therm/hygrometer w/probe to measure temps. Basking is about 83, over all is around 73 and at night goes down to 66

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
It varies once I mist and how long between mistings. I am gonna hang shower curtains on 3 sides to keep it more humid once i set up the mist king.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Only live plants. A pathos, schefflera and dracena

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
It's in the corner of my living room where no one walks by to go anywhere. No fans or air vents. Top of the cage is at about 6 and a half feet (I am 5'5).

Location - Where are you geographically located?
Calgary, AB Canada

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
See first post.

Back
Top Bottom