Help he is holding his head to the side

Haze1981

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male Yemen chameleon, roughly 6 months old.
Handling - Handled only a couple of times
Feeding - We are feeding crickets that are gut loaded and dusted with calcium and nutrobal once a month. He has about 5 or 6. They are put in his enclosure in the morning.
Supplements - Dusted with calcium.
Watering - We have a little dripper running all day and he is misted twice a day. We don't see him drinking much.
Fecal Description - Dropping are brown and white and they have not been tested for parasites.
History - He has been ok but has not eaten for 2 days.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage Medium 40x40x76cm
Lighting - He has a ceramic heat bulb and a reptisun 5.0 bulb
Temperature - Temp is 18 degrees on the cage floor and 29.5 degrees at the top.
Humidity - Humidity is generally around 45 to 50%. I spray regally and I have real plants in the enclosure.
Plants - I have ficus and umbrella plants.
Placement - The cage is in the corner of my living room and the top if the cage is above eye level.
Location - England

My little man has been feeling under the weather for the last couple of days. He has gone off eating and is not moving around as much. We have noticed that he has been closing his right eye. We took him to a local vet on Thursday and they looked in his eye and they can't see anything wrong with him and he perked up as soon as we were there. Today he has spent time at the bottom of his enclosure. I just stood up and noticed him on the floor of his terrarium. I am not sure if he fell on the floor or climbed down. My husband picked him up and he was very cold and he is holding his neck to the side and is looked slightly twisted. Any ideas and help on what it could be. I am so very worried for my little man.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male Yemen chameleon, roughly 6 months old.
Handling - Handled only a couple of times
Feeding - We are feeding crickets that are gut loaded and dusted with calcium and nutrobal once a month. He has about 5 or 6. They are put in his enclosure in the morning.
Supplements - Dusted with calcium.
Watering - We have a little dripper running all day and he is misted twice a day. We don't see him drinking much.
Fecal Description - Dropping are brown and white and they have not been tested for parasites.
History - He has been ok but has not eaten for 2 days.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage Medium 40x40x76cm
Lighting - He has a ceramic heat bulb and a reptisun 5.0 bulb
Temperature - Temp is 18 degrees on the cage floor and 29.5 degrees at the top.
Humidity - Humidity is generally around 45 to 50%. I spray regally and I have real plants in the enclosure.
Plants - I have ficus and umbrella plants.
Placement - The cage is in the corner of my living room and the top if the cage is above eye level.
Location - England

My little man has been feeling under the weather for the last couple of days. He has gone off eating and is not moving around as much. We have noticed that he has been closing his right eye. We took him to a local vet on Thursday and they looked in his eye and they can't see anything wrong with him and he perked up as soon as we were there. Today he has spent time at the bottom of his enclosure. I just stood up and noticed him on the floor of his terrarium. I am not sure if he fell on the floor or climbed down. My husband picked him up and he was very cold and he is holding his neck to the side and is looked slightly twisted. Any ideas and help on what it could be. I am so very worried for my little man.

To clarify...you are dusting his crickets with calcium and Nutrobal once a month?. If this is what you meant to describe, this is not enough supplementation and he has most likely developed calcium and vitamin deficiencies. It is most important to gutload all his feeder insects well, using fresh dark leafy greens, fresh fruit chunks, and vitamin fortified cereal grains. Bee pollen is also a good gutloading ingredient. Dusting should be viewed as supplemental to feeder nutrition.

He should be getting crickets dusted with plain calcium (no D3 added) every day. Every week dust with calcium WITH D3. Once a month dust with a herp multivitamin.

umbrella plant sap can irritate eyes if they rub them on it to get the shed off. So chams are just fine, others get a vet visit within a week of introduction of the plant.

I think as Carlton says your supplements seem off.:( I use Nutrabol every 7-10 days depending on which feeders I am using. Can I suggest plain calcium without d3 daily. I USe Komodo cricket dust. Nutrabol contains d3 and multivitamin so can be used every 7-10 days. You don't need anything else.:)

Sorry i didn't write that properly. I dust with calcium every day and nutrobal once a month because it contains D3. We are off to the vets this afternoon as he is not eating and holding one of his eyes closed. He is also lethargic and not really moving around very much. We have increased his misting to see if that will help with his eye but it hasn't. We thought it best to get him looked at as he is not a happy chap at the moment.

Thank you very much. There is so much information and sometime it contradicts each other. I know D3 and multi vits are important but on the other hand too much can be bad too. I just want to get things right for my little fella.

Back
Top Bottom