Help! He ate a grasshopper!!

PattyCake

Long story short Archimedes was playing outside when he found a grasshopper and quickly ate it. It was brownish yellow with reddish legs. Grasshopper was about 1 inch long and half a centimeter wide. Right now he seems to be fine with normal behaviour. What should I do?

(I know it is definetly not an eastern lubber)

Score! :D

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 164
Short version: he'll almost certainly be fine, but watch him carefully, and don't make a habit of it.

Long story short Archimedes was playing outside when he found a grasshopper and quickly ate it. It was brownish yellow with reddish legs. Grasshopper was about 1 inch long and half a centimeter wide. Right now he seems to be fine with normal behaviour. What should I do?

(I know it is definetly not an eastern lubber)

ummmm....find more grasshoppers to feed him? That's what I would do! lol

Just as long as it's not in an area where they're spraying for bug control. About 10 years ago, I used to live out in the country. I used to buy grasshoppers from the neighbor kids, along with other insects, to feed to my cham's. They never ate crickets! It was a great success!

ummmm....find more grasshoppers to feed him? That's what I would do! lol

Just as long as it's not in an area where they're spraying for bug control. About 10 years ago, I used to live out in the country. I used to buy grasshoppers from the neighbor kids, along with other insects, to feed to my cham's. They never ate crickets! It was a great success!

I agree, i would look for more grasshoppers.

I agree. Catch more. Variety is great and anyone that gives their cham outside time and thinks they have never eaten a "wild" bug while out there is fooling themselves. Even the feeders we buy from the store can carry parasites. It's not like they're being bred in sterile labratory conditions :)

Best course of action IMHO is feed them some wild caught bugs (from pesticide free areas only!) for variety and get annual fecals done. Only way to be sure anyhow.

grasshoppers can be an excellent addition to your chams diet. However I would not recommend getting them from your back yard. Grasshoppers travel significant distances, so even if you don't use pesticides and herbicides and spray on fertilizers, its probable that several others in the surrounding mile or two do.
catch in wilderness /untouched park areas instead.

grasshoppers can be an excellent addition to your chams diet. However I would not recommend getting them from your back yard. Grasshoppers travel significant distances, so even if you don't use pesticides and herbicides and spray on fertilizers, its probable that several others in the surrounding mile or two do.
catch in wilderness /untouched park areas instead.

Yeah ok, thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom