Help guessing age of male veiled chameleon?

Continuing on….
From what information as can find with a quick search of the archives, gardenia blooms are toxic. I don’t know about the leaves, but I would suggest erring on the side of caution and remove it. I didn’t even realize it but a couple of my chams have Hawaiian Ti in their enclosures. My male veiled doesn’t eat his plants much and I don’t see any bites on his. …and I’m also using the Chinese Evergreen with my panther. :rolleyes: Guess I really need to learn the common plant names - I know them by their complicated and impossible to pronounce names.
Plant lights - I have the Sansi 70w above each of my enclosures. I was lacking one 70w for one, so I have a Sansi 36w over it instead. I’ve been using these for about 2 1/2 years now and the only issue I’ve found is it’s the brightest light and my chams try to bask under them. I have the lights hung now so I can place their basking and uvb lights over where they prefer to bask. I’ve found that the 70w is strong enough to keep hibiscus alive and thriving (as long as the plant is tall). As for color spectrums and all that, I’m completely incapable of wrapping my head around that stuff. I do know that there have been several posts about it that you can search the forum for. @nightanole knows about lights, color spectrums and all that and maybe he can answer your questions.
Again, thank you so much! As for plant names, we are opposites on that one, lol! My daughter is like you and knows them all by their correct botanical names and I’m like, “which one??”🤔 I’m jealous a little and wish I could do it, but I guess it’s just too much for my brain to remember, lol. 🤯😅 I’m off to check out your video and look up more info on the lights. Thanks again for your help! You’re awesome!😊🙏🏼

In a perfect world with a perfect grow light, all leaves would look "black" to us. We see green, because the plant does not absorb/use green, it reflected it. The "blurpuple" funny lights are great for hydroponics, because they do not produce colors the plants do not use. All the T5HO fixtures are not designed for "cages". They are designed to hover a few inches over a 12-18" industry standard grow tray.

And there is also marketing and markets. Home growers are not growing food to sell at the maximum efficiency. Home growers typically want to "see" their plants because it is a "hobby". They want full spectrum so what they are growing can look as lovely as possible. They might even be growing hydro roses and other "inedibles".

Finally, ALL THESE LIGHTS ARE FAKES, both LED and florescent. You worry about what your chameleon sees? A T5HO full spectrum bulb only puts outs dead center red,green, and blue. It does not put out orange or pink or brown. The thing between our ears and the thing between the chameleons not ears, interprets the 3 RGB spikes as "white". Same with the LEDS, though the single white ones are starting to put out "a little" light inbetween RGB, but for the most part its still just the RGB spikes.

But at the end of the day, it really doesnt matter much. The magic 6500k everyone shoots for, that just mimics the 1 hour a day at noon during summer. Outside of that window, it could be 3000-9000k depending on the time of day and time of year :p
I’m with you on what you’ve written here, especially the fake part. So true! However, my question wasn’t what the lights are putting out, (RBG) but rather, if it’s SAFE for our chameleon to be blasted with these lights 12 hours a day? There are many lights on the market providing different spectrums for different purposes. My question and concern is that after I purchased the light that was recommended here, the included instructions of that light (sansi 70 w grow light) says in black and white that it can be dangerous to humans and animals if they were to look into the beam. (I’ll Attach the safety warnings from the instruction manual.)

Attachments

• 70CF785F-2193-4943-A30D-D5A46912142E.jpeg
    70CF785F-2193-4943-A30D-D5A46912142E.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 55
I’m with you on what you’ve written here, especially the fake part. So true! However, my question wasn’t what the lights are putting out, (RBG) but rather, if it’s SAFE for our chameleon to be blasted with these lights 12 hours a day? There are many lights on the market providing different spectrums for different purposes. My question and concern is that after I purchased the light that was recommended here, the included instructions of that light (sansi 70 w grow light) says in black and white that it can be dangerous to humans and animals if they were to look into the beam. (I’ll Attach the safety warnings from the instruction manual.)

That warning is on every high power led. In order for it to be a problem the unit would have to be "above terrestrial" just like the warnings of UVB bulbs.

But lets break my brain...

Lets say the highest you want to expose the chameleon to is 15 moles a day, enough to keep plants happy, but not enough to grow fruit (that takes 30 moles).

https://www.sansiled.com/collections/led-grow-lights/products/par30-36w-led-grow-light-bulb
You are exposing to 12 hours a day

347 µmols x 60 seconds x 60 minutes x 12 hours = 15,000,000 µmols​

So there is your magical limit. You want the sansi to be far enough to not hit 347 micro moles a second. And for the 36 watt that is technically impossible.

And here is a handy dandy chart, and for cheaters, March is about 12 hours days...

OregonEditDLI-maps-640x621.jpg

That warning is on every high power led. In order for it to be a problem the unit would have to be "above terrestrial" just like the warnings of UVB bulbs.

But lets break my brain...

Lets say the highest you want to expose the chameleon to is 15 moles a day, enough to keep plants happy, but not enough to grow fruit (that takes 30 moles).

https://www.sansiled.com/collections/led-grow-lights/products/par30-36w-led-grow-light-bulb
You are exposing to 12 hours a day

347 µmols x 60 seconds x 60 minutes x 12 hours = 15,000,000 µmols​

So there is your magical limit. You want the sansi to be far enough to not hit 347 micro moles a second. And for the 36 watt that is technically impossible.

And here is a handy dandy chart, and for cheaters, March is about 12 hours days...

View attachment 323234
Great info. And I’ll definitely hold on to this. (Sidebar: Do we have a way to save threads we like? That would be fantastic so we don’t have to search each time.)

Ok back to the lights. The concern is regarding the 70watt - which Sansi says is 5000 kelvin and gives the warning for. They don’t give the same warning for the 36w I bought. I have to look up how to convert umols to kelvin. (Sorry don’t know how to do the change in text, so just a plain “u”, but I know you’ll get it.)😉 thanks

Great info. And I’ll definitely hold on to this. (Sidebar: Do we have a way to save threads we like? That would be fantastic so we don’t have to search each time.)

Ok back to the lights. The concern is regarding the 70watt - which Sansi says is 5000 kelvin and gives the warning for. They don’t give the same warning for the 36w I bought. I have to look up how to convert umols to kelvin. (Sorry don’t know how to do the change in text, so just a plain “u”, but I know you’ll get it.)😉 thanks

odds are they put the warning on the 70 watt, because its like staring into a 800 watt halogen?

in other news, you cant convert mole to kelvin. Kelvin is the "color", it as nothing to do with output intensity. 5000k just means its a bit redder than 6500k, just like those super blue headlights on cars are 8000k.

odds are they put the warning on the 70 watt, because its like staring into a 800 watt halogen?

in other news, you cant convert mole to kelvin. Kelvin is the "color", it as nothing to do with output intensity. 5000k just means its a bit redder than 6500k, just like those super blue headlights on cars are 8000k.
Ahhhh thank you very much for the info on kelvin as color and not intensity! Very nice to know. And it explains why the info I’m looking up is almost what I’m looking for, but it’s just not quite right.😅😂😅 You saved me from a few more searches. Lol

Back
Top Bottom