Help! fungal infection? papillomavirus??

Mar626

Hi I have a 1yr 3month old panther cham and I’ve noticed these spots on his back popping up. I’m worried he might have caught soemthing when he actually took a dip in his water bowl one day when I didn’t clean it but used it to catch water. The spots that concern me the most are the one on his back left side and on his top right. I went to a vet and mention to them how he was perfectly fine a couple weeks ago and I noticed that two spots were growing slightly. It went from what seems like a pinkish pinch to a red dot now. I was prescribed silver sulfurdiazine 1% creme and was told it may be a thermal burn. Tonight i noticed he has turned a different color than his normal blue and it seems like he turned yellowish on areas affected by spots popping up on him.

He is in a large cage

100w basking 6-7 inches from his perching site
150w UVB

Highest temp is about 95 degrees basking and the ambient temp is 75

misting daily once in the morning and at night for about a 1-3 min at a time

He eats small/med sized dubias roughly 6-10 a day but doesnt always eat them

he drinks water daily, the water i used is filtered and purifed (vet prescribed to give him electrolytes as well) (would Pedialyte work?)

I included a picture of how the spot on his back was a month ago and compared to now.

I also included a triple antibiotic creme that i found, could this be used as an emergency treatment?

I ordered a Reptile Wound and Skin Care spray on amazon today.

Attachments

• IMG_3884.jpg
    IMG_3884.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_3885.jpg
    IMG_3885.jpg
    696.1 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3886.jpg
    IMG_3886.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_3887.jpg
    IMG_3887.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3888.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg
    745.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_3607.JPG
    IMG_3607.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 148
This is the spray i have coming on the way

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 8.40.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 8.40.25 PM.png
    399.7 KB · Views: 122
Circled some of the spots, he has one on his back left thigh and belly too but they seem like dark spots rather than red. One on his tail looks similar to how the one in his left hip started. Spot on his top right back seems to be new but growing. I try to go in and clean him with saline water and a q-tip but it seems to bother him and he flinches for those two spots specifically (hip and back). He has never been this color before! Im so worried!

Attachments

• IMG_3892.PNG
    IMG_3892.PNG
    675 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_67F5C44FF15F-1.jpeg
    IMG_67F5C44FF15F-1.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0678F09D9FE1-1.jpeg
    IMG_0678F09D9FE1-1.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_BC3EB0D39028-1.jpeg
    IMG_BC3EB0D39028-1.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 323
Dubias are fed a diet of kale, collar greens, roach chow (brown sugar and oat and Calcium powder) and sometimes i throw in an apple core, banana or manderine

I wish I could give you an answer. The fact that they are growing makes me wonder if they are something like a pappiloma but to me, they don't quite look like the way they start off.

I wish I could give you an answer. The fact that they are growing makes me wonder if they are something like a pappiloma but to me, they don't quite look like the way they start off.
I wondered the same thing. The vet didnt mention nothing of a virus but seemed to believe it may have been thermal burns. I watch him everyday and dont see him going anywhere he can get burned especially since there is a good distance from the basking spot and the bulb. The dots are popping up random and begin super small. The one on his back hip is the one that worried me the most especially since when he shed last it was kind of uneven, His body shed first but the tail didnt start to shed until yesterday and finished today. His shed seemed to go over the bump on his back hip, i assume that his scales are still trying to grow around that area which is good but the fact that the spot is redish is worrying me.

I wondered the same thing. The vet didnt mention nothing of a virus but seemed to believe it may have been thermal burns. I watch him everyday and dont see him going anywhere he can get burned especially since there is a good distance from the basking spot and the bulb. The dots are popping up random and begin super small. The one on his back hip is the one that worried me the most especially since when he shed last it was kind of uneven, His body shed first but the tail didnt start to shed until yesterday and finished today. His shed seemed to go over the bump on his back hip, i assume that his scales are still trying to grow around that area which is good but the fact that the spot is redish is worrying me.
Google led me down a rabbit whole of viruses and now im just freaking out about my bby bc i have no idea whats wrong but he seems to feel something on those two dots that must cause him to flinch in some pain especially since im gently rubbing them to clean them with saline solution. Should i try some peroxide & water to ensure that any bacteria or fungus is killed?

I don't give Crickets as often as I give dubia roaches. The crickets I get are about medium size and the last time i gave him some was about the end of last week. They're all dead now after a few days, that's why I stick to feeding dubias more especially since my population exploded this year.

I got the spray in today from amazon and used a q-tip to clean each area and made sure that he isn't going anywhere that can burn him or hurt his sores. He seemed to be less flinchy as i cleaned the back spots but ofc he still had a small reaction to touch.

It sounds like you need a really good reptile vet... What city/state do you live in and we can maybe help with options near you?

100w basking 6-7 inches from his perching site
150w UVB

Highest temp is about 95 degrees basking and the ambient temp is 75

So the UVB Is a compact screw in bulb or is it a 2 in 1 Mercury vapor bulb??? 100 watt with a basking 6-7 inches away from branch is VERY close and would be high risk for thermal burns.
95 is too hot IMO.

The UVB is a compact buld, unsure if its a 2-1 mercury bulb. So i should move the basking bulb to a spot lower? Would about 8-9 inches away be better?
I live in California city of Chino. There isnt many exotic pet vets near me so i had trouble finding someone too.

The UVB is a compact buld, unsure if its a 2-1 mercury bulb. So i should move the basking bulb to a spot lower? Would about 8-9 inches away be better?
I live in California city of Chino. There isnt many exotic pet vets near me so i had trouble finding someone too.
So the best bulb option is a T5HO linear fixture with a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. This would run the width on your enclosure with basking 9 inches below.

I would not have the heat any closer then 9 inches and I would drop temps as well. I do not provide a basking spot hotter then 85.

So with the UVB bulb your using is it a coil looking bulb or does it look more like a flood light?

So the best bulb option is a T5HO linear fixture with a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. This would run the width on your enclosure with basking 9 inches below.

I would not have the heat any closer then 9 inches and I would drop temps as well. I do not provide a basking spot hotter then 85.

So with the UVB bulb your using is it a coil looking bulb or does it look more like a flood light?
The UVB is this coiled one. I accidentally thought it was 150w. I moved his basking bulb to another spot where he can perch and bask and it measures at 87 degrees now with an ambient temp of 75-77.5*

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 12.38.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 12.38.12 PM.png
    304.9 KB · Views: 100
His colors are perfectly fine now that hes awake, i have never see him turn those shades of colors before like he did last night when he was asleep. hes still active and climbing all over the place and runs up my arm like a normal excited bby cham. I cleaned the sores with the Vetericyn plus and a q-tip today

The UVB is this coiled one. I accidentally thought it was 150w. I moved his basking bulb to another spot where he can perch and bask and it measures at 87 degrees now with an ambient temp of 75-77.5*
So that is better for the basking bulb. But the coil one will not give him the UVB he needs. THis can lead to him developing MBD. You want to buy the T5HO fixture and a 5.0 bulb the length of your enclosure. and have the closest branch 9 inches below that fixture for correct UVI level.

Can you post a pic of your entire enclosure so we can see if anything stands out that would be causing the issue he is having?

I have that cage size for him and I did have him in there for a while but then saw no matter what i put in the cage or on the walls of the cage he still manages to slip at times and always climbed the cage walls. Because of his clumsiness i worried that since he is still growing he might hurt himself if he slipped or fell. i figured it might be safer to keep him in a large cage until he grows more to fit into the 2x2x4. Hes 1yr and 3months old now and as big as my hand, Would now be the best time to make the switch or should i let him shed a couple more times to grow and then move in?

Back
Top Bottom