Help for a newbie with a Fischer and a superworm

Russman

Would anyone have a recommendation how to get my Fischer to take Superworms? I placed one in a small, opaque dish with no success. Leaving it loose doesnt appear to be a good option as they burrow. Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated

If you have a screen cage try puting the super worm little legs on the screen and they should grab on and stay for a min, long enough to notice and see if he is interested. If the bowl doesnt work i sometimes just hang a little cup from a string up where he likes to hangout. I usually feed by cup or hand when i take him out. good luck

Would anyone have a recommendation how to get my Fischer to take Superworms? I placed one in a small, opaque dish with no success. Leaving it loose doesnt appear to be a good option as they burrow. Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated

Your cham has to learn that superworms are on the "safe foods" list. Try putting a familiar feeder or two right in with the superworm. If he shoots at something he knows and gets the worm also he will eventually make the connection. Also, if the worm isn't moving around it won't attract his attention like a cricket. I like to offer my feeders in a larger plastic bin instead of a cup. They move around a lot more and attract the cham's attention. Chams almost instinctively go for green colored insects. I have read that some keepers have ground up dried peas and dusted "new" feeders with the powder. Haven't tried that myself.

If you have a screen cage try puting the super worm little legs on the screen and they should grab on and stay for a min, long enough to notice and see if he is interested. If the bowl doesnt work i sometimes just hang a little cup from a string up where he likes to hangout. I usually feed by cup or hand when i take him out. good luck

Sounds like patience and perseverance rule the day. I placed a worm in a tiny little open top opaque plastic box that is made to hang in a garage on a pegboard and hold small bits and the like. I mounted it to the screen beneath a branch and halfway up the cage in hopes he might see it wriggling and take a shot. If the morning still shows the worm in the box, I'll try putting a cricket in next to it and take it from there. I guess with a bit of coaxing, he'll catch on.

What about holding it with a pair of tongs.? I would not hold them in my hand as I think they would bite!! The only way I can get my cham to eat them(as they fall off the branches and vines) is to put them in a plastic cup and hold it in front of him. He just shoots right into the cup everytime!

Back
Top Bottom