Help find 24x24 substrate tray?

I think the pouch would look amazing but im hoping for full ground coverage minus an inch or so for backdrop space.
Would something like a Sterilite or Rubbermaid storage bin or a restaurant tote box do the job?
Here's one that's 24 x 16 x 7 deep
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite-32-Qt-Latching-Storage-Box-14968006/206721469
Might take some looking to find one closer to what you're looking for, but it seems there's no shortage of mfrs or sizes.
There are a couple 23 x 18 on this page.

That's bada**.
I'll talk to the menards dudes about it for sure.
Is it expensive?

Really depends, on how thick you are using.

I thjnk Dragonstrand used Solid PVC sheet for their substrate trays. Doing that you get thin material and rely on the solvent weld.

Or you can use Foamed PVC, and use a thicker piece and screw and glue it. This is cheaper, but to get the thickness needed will likely cost about the same.

If you cant find PVC, you can also use acrylic. Same idea, and get the Acrylic Weld. Your going to want 1/4 inch cell cast acrylic though.

Really depends, on how thick you are using.

I thjnk Dragonstrand used Solid PVC sheet for their substrate trays. Doing that you get thin material and rely on the solvent weld.

Or you can use Foamed PVC, and use a thicker piece and screw and glue it. This is cheaper, but to get the thickness needed will likely cost about the same.

If you cant find PVC, you can also use acrylic. Same idea, and get the Acrylic Weld. Your going to want 1/4 inch cell cast acrylic though.
Acrylic was my first thought because I at least know how to conveniently cut that and glue it.
Is it similarly priced do you know?

Acrylic was my first thought because I at least know how to conveniently cut that and glue it.
Is it similarly priced do you know?

PVC is slightly cheaper.

You might be able to get away with 1/8inch extruded, as the height won't be much? 1/4 would be fine, 1/8 would be a test I am not sure.

Menard also carries HDPE, which will also work.

Just play with them and see which you prefer, from a rigidity standpoint. Just be sure to use the right solvent. All those plastics have special chemical weld solvents for them only.

Ya I was working on a soil bin blog post. However I was really trying to find a suitable soil bin without DIY and then a DIY guide for more custom needs.
I actually found an 18x18 cube planter that I was going to cut a portion out of the middle to make it shorter and drill a hole or two in the bottom. Unfortunately everywhere is Out of 18x18 AND 24x18 enclosures but that was going to be pretty simple

Ive seen the 23x18 but the extra 6 inches would be hard to conveniently cover
Sorry, I got the impression you were looking for a substrate tray with more depth for bioactive.
So... are you looking for a substrate tray or a drainage tray? I still think there's gotta be something out there—might just take some searching.

I actually found an 18x18 cube planter that I was going to cut a portion out of the middle to make it shorter and drill a hole or two in the bottom. Unfortunately everywhere is Out of 18x18 AND 24x18 enclosures but that was going to be pretty simple

You should send me a link to the 24x18 and 18x18 ones you found.

I prefer the exoterra screen cages anyway (24x18)

Sorry, I got the impression you were looking for a substrate tray with more depth for bioactive.
So... are you looking for a substrate tray or a drainage tray? I still think there's gotta be something out there—might just take some searching.
Im looking for it to cover the full bottom of the enclosure with depth for the bioactive substrate.

Im looking for it to cover the full bottom of the enclosure with depth for the bioactive substrate.
OK, AFAIK, that would be a substrate tray. From the videos I've seen, they're usually around 6" deep (including drainage layers). Like you mentioned though, nothing wrong with cutting one down if it's too deep.

OK, AFAIK, that would be a substrate tray. From the videos I've seen, they're usually around 6" deep (including drainage layers). Like you mentioned though, nothing wrong with cutting one down if it's too deep.
Most substrate trays for sale are far too shallow. The best option would normally be to look for a plant tray but they're just never that right size haha

The sheets I got are used to like yard sale signs. It in the glass crafting section and it is waterproof. It's not the most sturby material in the world but it's plastic and probably about as strong as a burlap sac. (Probably more)
I managed to buy *almost* everything I needed today. I'll get the rest and document it properly on a bioactive setup list

Back
Top Bottom