Help find 24x24 substrate tray?

saradoggy10

Established Member
I'm looking to get a 24x24 tray for the bioactive substrate of my enclosure. Did you gets yours from a specific store? Do you know of any?
I also have the option of straight up cutting acrylic which would end up being just about the same price. (I would build a planter... But I'm scared of the table saw)
What do you think? any suggestions?

It's just a little too shallow for what I'm looking for :(
Do you have any idea what might be good to cover the sides?

I'm looking to get a 24x24 tray for the bioactive substrate of my enclosure. Did you gets yours from a specific store? Do you know of any?
I also have the option of straight up cutting acrylic which would end up being just about the same price. (I would build a planter... But I'm scared of the table saw)
I got the pouches from the bio dude. Great idea, but they are too small. I looked up the company that makes them and they come in a more appropriate size. But...I can’t find them in stock anywhere. I made the small bag work for one enclosure, but for my other two, I’m going to be getting these. Better too big than too small. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Root-Po..._-plpbrowse_multi-_-306677187-_-306677198-_-N

I got the pouches from the bio dude. Great idea, but they are too small. I looked up the company that makes them and they come in a more appropriate size. But...I can’t find them in stock anywhere. I made the small bag work for one enclosure, but for my other two, I’m going to be getting these. Better too big than too small. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Root-Po..._-plpbrowse_multi-_-306677187-_-306677198-_-N
Aw man I didn't think I could even USE those! Would it somehow rust the aluminum with constant moisture?

Get un-scared? I spent a couple days looking for something similar; I found 24 x 24 but shallow (drain pans) or plastic totes & bins that were deep enough, but not 24 x 24. I think it's a conspiracy.

I found this pic (I think it was in one of the enclosure pics threads), but again—not 24 x 24.
It looks like 2 dishpans dropped into cutouts in a false floor.
1591255711638.png

Is there anybody you can bribe, con, or schmooze into cutting the acrylic for you? :rolleyes:

Get un-scared? I spent a couple days looking for something similar; I found 24 x 24 but shallow (drain pans) or plastic totes & bins that were deep enough, but not 24 x 24. I think it's a conspiracy.

I found this pic (I think it was in one of the enclosure pics threads), but again—not 24 x 24.
It looks like 2 dishpans dropped into cutouts in a false floor.
View attachment 268500

Is there anybody you can bribe, con, or schmooze into cutting the acrylic for you? :rolleyes:

Your local hardware store will usually cut for you, if you buy it there

"Get unscared" advice of the century
I might see if they can, yeah!
My intent was to encourage via a little humor—not be dismissive. Sorry if it came across wrong. :oops:
I do understand. BT-DT. The best way I've gotten through stuff like that is studying up to be as prepared as I can, adhere to all the safety protocols, and have someone to "help", if nothing more than to just be there for moral support. Then just get it done. It might not really be getting un-scared—more like sucking it up and getting through it.

Afterward, it usually wasn't as bad as I'd let myself imagine, and it gets easier—eventually. ?

...And I did offer an alternative. ☺

Dragonstrand use to make one, seems no more sadly.

You can make one from PVC sheet your local HD might sell it, if they do it isn't that tough.

You can make one that the cage sits on, instead of inside. You can make that from wood and flex seal it very well.

Aw man I didn't think I could even USE those! Would it somehow rust the aluminum with constant moisture?
I’m hoping it won’t. The one from the bio dude is too small and doesn’t even come close to the screen, so is probably ok. When I get the larger pouches, I’ll probably paint some flex seal on the screen to help protect it.

I’m hoping it won’t. The one from the bio dude is too small and doesn’t even come close to the screen, so is probably ok. When I get the larger pouches, I’ll probably paint some flex seal on the screen to help protect it.
I'll have to go to menards and scope out some odd materials that I could use. Honestly I didn't know PVC sheet even existed but honestly that would probably work

I think the pouch would look amazing but im hoping for full ground coverage minus an inch or so for backdrop space.
I too am scared of using the power saw and thought about making a pvc box, but can’t stand the stink of silicone (even though I like vinegar), so the pouches are a good solution for me.
You do need to keep us updated on your build. :)

I too am scared of using the power saw and thought about making a pvc box, but can’t stand the stink of silicone (even though I like vinegar), so the pouches are a good solution for me.

Silicon doesn't stick to PVC.

You have to use PVC glue to seal the PVC pieces together, which are a chemical weld, they melt the plastic together and only smell for a minute or 2.

Silicon doesn't stick to PVC.

You have to use PVC glue to seal the PVC pieces together, which are a chemical weld, they melt the plastic together and only smell for a minute or 2.
That's bada**.
I'll talk to the menards dudes about it for sure.
Is it expensive?

Haha yeah the power saw is somehow worse to me than the table saw. I think the only one I can stand is the band saw but it's not like I have one of those in my garage.

Back
Top Bottom