Help! Female veiled laying eggs

haskdog26

We have a female veiled chameleon who recently has seemed very weak, we just recently put a large potted plant in her terrarium. After two days she was in there today digging around with her face. We later found that she started laying eggs and has laid 11 so far. Before this for the last several weeks she has seemed very weak and not been eating very well

My question is this: what do we do when we wake up tomorrow and she has laid 20 to 30 eggs? Is there anything that we need to make sure we do to maintain her health and make sure that she is able to recover correctly? Any tips regarding feeding cleaning removal of eggs or rehabilitation would be greatly appreciated

I hope she is strong enough to to get through this. Is she laying the eggs in the hole she dug or just on top of the substrate?

Was she with a male?

She is laying eggs on top of the soil. I think she was trying to dig but didn’t have the strength. I feel like it’s at least good that she is getting them out. Any tips on trying to keep her healthy? Do folks go to the vet after something like this?

Was she with a male? If so the eggs could be fertile. If not count the eggs and tell me how many there were. It's up to you if you incubate them if she's been with a male or not. If she wasn't with a male then they will be Infertile and can be tossed.

It is good that she's getting them out. I just hope she has the strength to lay them all. Don't disturb her until she's done. Don't let her see you watching her while she's laying.

I hope she will return to the branches when she is done. Then you should feed and water her well for a couple of days. If you over feed her after that she will/may lay another large clutch and once they have laid one clutch improperly then it often happens the next time ...or even worse they can become eggbound.

If she shows signs of not recovering or getting worse then she will need a vet right away. Signs to watch for,...she sits low in the cage, sleeps during the day, isn't drinking or eating properly, lethargic, etc.

not been eating very well
This is common before laying, but the weakness is not.

what do we do when we wake up tomorrow and she has laid 20 to 30 eggs?
Throw them out.

She is laying eggs on top of the soil.
This is a classic indication that she does not have the strength to do this unassisted and is in trouble.

Do folks go to the vet after something like this?
Weakness and dropping eggs are grounds for an automatic vet visit.

You need a full husbandry review, if interested fill out the help form linked in my signature and post it back here with pictures when your done.

Back
Top Bottom