Help. Chameleon really sick..

kmorgan

Hey guys I am new to owning a chameleon, we've had her for 1 week as of today. The rest of the week was really good she was eating drinking pooping white and brown like i read she was supposed to. She's very young I think around 6 or 7 weeks old. Until yesterday. Yesterday she wouldn't eat as much as usual she only ate 2 crickets that we seen, and I dont know for sure if she's drinking as much as she's supposed to. Then when she fell asleep she was sleep walking all over her cage then hanging upside down from the ceiling, I read some posts and they said that might be normal because she's so young. Then this morning I woke her up around her usual time, and she was very sluggish and weak, only slowly moving around in the dirt on the bottom of the terrarium. We offered her food and she refused. We would very much appreciate any and all information you guys have! We are still looking for a exotic vet in our area but will have to travel quite a ways to get one. We also found throw up on the rock beside where she was sleeping which was white and clear goo and an undigested cricket. She is refusing to eat today, and is a very dark color.

cage: 12X12X18
water: misting 2/3 times a day
lighting: 75 watt UVB bulb 12 hours of the day
basking bulb 12 hours of the day, tempatures seem normal usually around 85 on the top which should be higher but not sure how to do that, and usually around 70 on the bottom.
humidity: is usually around 60
the bedding she uses is soil which also makes me nervous because she was seen eating it a couple times.
she has vines in her cage that she usually loves, she is currently hiding behind a rock.
We think she might be low on calcium because she usually refuses the crickets which have the liquid calcium on them, so we tried to feed it to her by mouth which also didnt work. So we are going to get the calcium dust today.
We have been gut-loading the crickets with flukers water gel and dust.
Please help she is our first pet and we are really worried thank you.

having dirt in the cage is a big no no, i would get rid of it asap, it will cause a blockage in digestive tract amongst other things. If she has been eating it i would recommend going to a knowledgeable vet. Read up on the nutrient list/schedule provided on this website, and you need to gutload your crickets with fresh veggies, not just the flukers cubes and dust.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? VEILED CHAMELEON, FEMALE, APPROX 3 MONTHS OLD, BEEN IN OUR CARE 1 WEEK.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? HAVE NEVER HANDLED IT, EXCEPT FOR TODAY TO CHANGE ITS CAGE TO GET THE DIRT OUT.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? FEEDING CRICKETS THAT HAVE BEEN GIVEN FLUKERS WATER GEL AND FOOD, BEEN FEEDING AS MUCH AS SHE WILL EAT WHICH HAS BEEN APPROX 5-8 (VERY LOW), TODAY AND YESTERDAY SHE REFUSED TO EAT, FEED IN THE MORNING AND AFTERNOON.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? HAVEN'T BEEN DUSTING THE CRICKETS, BEEN USING LIQUID VITAMIN AND CALCIUM, HAVENT GIVEN ANY VITAMIN YET AS SHE WILL NOT EAT IT, AND SHE MOST LIKELY HAS NOT HAD AS MUCH CALCIUM AS NEEDED DUE TO HER NOT EATING THE CRICKETS WITH IT ON AND NOT OPENING HER MOUTH TO BE HAND FED.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? MISTING, 3 TIMES A DAY, 5-10 MISTS, HAVENT SEEN DRINKING
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? EVERY DAY FOUND WHITE AND BROWN FECES, MEDIUM-HARD CONSISTENCY, LAST NIGHT FOUND JUST SOFT BROWN FECES. ALONG WITH TWO THROW UPS.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
12X12X18, 3 SIDES GLASS TOP MESH.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 HOURS UVB 75 WATT, 12 HOUR BASKING LIGHT, NOTHING AT NIGHT.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? BASKING SPOT: (LOW) 80-85 CAGE FLOOR: 65-70 Lowest overnight temp? 65 How do you measure these temps? 2 THERMOMETERS ONE ON TOP ONE ON BOTTOM
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? LEVELS NORMAL, AROUND 55-60 How are you creating and maintaining these levels? MISTING 3 TIMES A DAY What do you use to measure humidity? HYDROMETER
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? NO JUST FAKE AS OF RIGHT NOW.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? IN BEDROOM OF GROUND APARTMENT, NO FANS NO VENTS, SLIGHTLY HIGH TRAFFIC. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? ON COFFEE TABLE.
Location - Where are you geographically located? VANCOUVER BC.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
She went from being very active and eating well, to not eating at all for the past two days and noticed two seperate vomits. Also seems very weak and not climbing staying at the bottom of her cage. Also sleeping or keeping her eyes closed for the most of the day so far. Last night we noticed she was sleep walking all over her cage and even hanging upside down from the ceiling.

I hope someone responds soon (I wish I could help but don't have a lot of experience).

I have a couple of questions: Can you load a picture? Do you have a vet ready if you need to take her there?

I hope she feels better soon!

yes we need to know what brand of uvb. 75 watt uvb is throwing me off. Are you sure it is a uvb bulb and not a uva?

Does anyone have anymore information? The vet's aren't open today.. and we don't have a vehicle to drive her to another city today. She is still sleeping all day not eating not moving and staying at the bottom of her cage.. I am extremely worried

I assume you mean UVB 10.0. I'm not an expert when it comes to babies, but I believe that's too strong for a baby in a small enclousure.
It is recommended to use 5.0 UVB for veileds.

yes, never heard of uvb 100. I would also agree with the above and switch out the 10.0 for 5.0. However, I do not think that is causing her to vomit and it could be due to something more serious like parasites. I would get a fresh fecal if possible when you go the vet and have her tested for parasites.

unfortunately cleo passed away last night.. I wish i could have done something.. Thanks for the replies though..

Back
Top Bottom