Help! Chameleon Laying on Its Side?!

rcc760

Hi all. Stressful day for us and Charlie. Here is the info:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon Veiled chameleon, female, in my care 2 weeks, assuming 4-5 months old, body is about 4 in long.
  • Handling Has yet to let us hold her, occasionally lets us touch her without running, but sometimes she runs.
  • Feeding 10-15 medium crickets a day, usually. Haven't tried worms yet. She had no interest in fresh produce.
  • Supplements Calc w/o D3 every feeding. So far we've given her reptivite multivitamins once (about a week ago). As I've said, we've had her two weeks.
  • Watering Misting about 3-4 times a day, have a dripper as well that's on continuously, lightly
  • Fecal Description pretty regular, every other day or so. Feces is brown, maybe a little gray, but seems solid. Have not noticed any cricket bits in it. Urate is nice and white, maybe a little on the watery side.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type Screen ZooMed Reptibreeze enclosure 16" x 16" x 30"
  • Lighting 100 watt basking bulb (the 60 that the kit came with was not strong enough and the store didn't have 75. Thought this was fine, but she's been sitting with her mouth open (thermoregulating I hope?) quite often over the past few days, but she doesn't move down from her perch), reptisun 5.0 UVB bulb.
  • Temperature Basking temp is between 75 and 80, ambient temp is about 70
  • Plants no live plants yet, just artificial ones and some branches. We bought a pothos but it's rather large and doesn't fit well with a laying bin in the cage.
  • Placement in my sister's room on a shelf, maybe 5 ft from the ceiling?
  • Location - Cold, dry part of Southern California

• Current Problem - Okay, so the last couple days, Charlie has been acting weird. She hasn't been eating nearly as much as she was and I've noticed her hanging out at the bottom of the enclosure a couple times over the past few days, and her color has been kind of dark lately. I'm afraid it's laying time, though she seems really young, hasn't developed any bright blues or oranges, and doesn't seem to be super round in the stomach. Nevertheless, I put a paying bin at the bottom (8" width, 14 in" length, 9" depth with washed playsand up to the top). Today, my sister found her on her side in the laying bin with her eyes open and her skin was brown. When she touched her, she jumped up and crawled into the leaves higher up in the enclosure. My sister said she was holding onto the cord for the temperature gauge part of the thermometer. I'm *thinking* she tried to grab onto it and fell and was probably stunned, but I was not there. I don't know. I'm at work and I'm freaking out. I know the obvious answer is take her to the vet, but we are realizing we don't have reptile vets around here really. We're trying to find one. When we do take her to the vet, what should we transport her in? Also, we haven't really handled her yet, so I can predict it will be a problem to get her into whatever we use to take her in. Please help! Scared cham mama here.

I know chameleons aren't recommended for beginners, but things have been going well the last two weeks we thought. She was a happy green rather often, was eating and drinking well, and now it appears things have taken a bad term. Nothing has changed in our care. My sister and I have been very dedicated in her care and I thought we were doing well.

I live in the Los Angeles area and there is a great vet in yorba Linda who is recommended by lots of people, his name is Dr. Greek.

Here is a good thread on how to transport your Chameleon.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/traveling-with-chameleons.733/

I'm sorry I can't be much help to your situation but maybe other members will have some good input.

Definitely a helpful thread, thank you! Dr. Greek is a little more than an hour away from me, so I was hesitant to make that trip with a sick chameleon, but I feel a little more comfortable now. I'll give them a call and see what they say. The journey isn't a very light one--I have to go down a big mountain to get there. Thanks for your help!

The 5.0 reptisun bulb that comes in the chameleon kit is not a good uvb bulb. You should upgrade to a linear t5 or t8 fixture with a reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% uvb bulb.

Yeah I recently switched to a reptisun 10.0 linear t5 HO bulb and noticed immediately my Cham has brighter colors and he hangs out under the uvb area more often. I still try to get him as much natural sunlight when I can.

I'm about an hour away from Dr Greek myself, but it's worth the drive. Just schedule it for a time when you can travel with the least amount of traffic.

The 5.0 reptisun bulb that comes in the chameleon kit is not a good uvb bulb. You should upgrade to a linear t5 or t8 fixture with a reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% uvb bulb.

I will look into buying this ASAP, thank you.

Yeah I recently switched to a reptisun 10.0 linear t5 HO bulb and noticed immediately my Cham has brighter colors and he hangs out under the uvb area more often. I still try to get him as much natural sunlight when I can.

I'm about an hour away from Dr Greek myself, but it's worth the drive. Just schedule it for a time when you can travel with the least amount of traffic.

Yeah, Charlie hangs out near the lights most of the time right now anyways, but I definitely want the best for her, so I will look into getting a better bulb for her. That's the UVB bulb, correct? Any suggestions for a basking bulb? I'm using a blue daylight ZooMed 100 wt bulb right now for her basking. The 60 my kit came with just wasn't strong enough.

She's still acting strange so I called Dr. Greek's office and plan to make a trip tomorrow. Dr. Greek is unavailable at that time so they set an appt with one of his associates--Dr. Moore? I am worried about her and want to ensure she's getting the best care. After reading the above travel info, I feel much more comfortable with taking that trip.

Dr. Moore is good to go. She is well-versed in chameleons and took care of my boys on my last trip there. You're in good hands.

Dr. Moore is good to go. She is well-versed in chameleons and took care of my boys on my last trip there. You're in good hands.

That makes me feel great, thanks! I just feel like I can't be too careful with a chameleon, them being so sensitive and such. I've only had her two weeks and I'm already so attached.

So when my baby cham sleeps she opens her mouth and makes a hissing gasping noise it kinda looks like a yawn then she makes that noise and I read it might be a respiratory problem any suggestions?????

So when my baby cham sleeps she opens her mouth and makes a hissing gasping noise it kinda looks like a yawn then she makes that noise and I read it might be a respiratory problem any suggestions?????

You should start a new thread for this for more experienced cham owners to respond to. I am new to cham ownership, but to me, that sounds like a respiratory infection. If it were me, I'd take her to a vet. You really can't be too careful with these guys.

You should start a new thread for this for more experienced cham owners to respond to. I am new to cham ownership, but to me, that sounds like a respiratory infection. If it were me, I'd take her to a vet. You really can't be too careful with these guys.
Thank you how do i start a new thread

Thank you how do i start a new thread

Go to "Forums" click on "Health Clinic" there is a thread there called "How to ask for help" that has some questions you need to copy and answer in order for readers and responders to get all necessary info. Then go back to the "Health Clinic" sections and there should be a blue button near the top middle that says "Post new thread"

Back
Top Bottom