Help! Can’t Keep humidity up with heater on

Well I found this response a little rude if I’m being honest.
Thanks for the advice but I don’t appreciate how you’re speaking to me. I understand you have more experience but there’s no need to talk down. I’m a first time chameleon owner and have been going by the best advice I’ve been able to find so far.
I’m not sure what gaps you’re talking about.
And I am not buying a hybrid enclosure when I spent over 400 on the one I have now just to let the old one sit in my spare bedroom. It would have been ideal but that’s not the decision I initially made so I’m trying to make what I have already work.
Well, my chameleon does not enjoy being under the mist at all.
Im not sure how the double misthead can be separated it is one single piece. I have a third nozzle on the opposite side in the opposite corner, and I assembled the nozzles in the spaces provided in the enclosure.
I’m strongly considering going to Home Depot and having pieces of PVC cut to put over the screen but I wanted to exhaust other resources first.
I came on here to seek friendly advice :/

Most just wrap the cage sides in a shower curtain for the winter, then you get air flow from the front up the top. I dont know what mister you have, but just about all of them use the same hosing, so you can buy nozzles and splitters very cheap. Another trick i do is put one nozzle in a bottle with a small drip hole in it. So the nozzle fills the bottle, then the bottle drips onto the plants for the next hour or so.

Hi and welcome! I have a Jackson’s Cham that requires high humidity at night and around 50% during the day and I live in Maine where it’s cold and my heater is on and it’s very dry! I wrapped my cage on 3 sides with a shower curtain and attached it with command strips at the top but made sure there was no sticky tabs that he could get to. I cut it to fit snugly. I have a mistking that goes off at lights out and then every 2-3 hours for 2 minutes each time all night. I also have a humidifier that I attached pvc piping to to take the fog up and into the top of my cage. I set that to go off from 1 am to 5 am. My house heater is set at 65 degrees at night to give my Cham the temp drop he needs at night. That’s how I do it and I get humidity up into the 80% range at night and 50% range during the day. I hope that helps.

Well I found this response a little rude if I’m being honest.
Thanks for the advice but I don’t appreciate how you’re speaking to me. I understand you have more experience but there’s no need to talk down. I’m a first time chameleon owner and have been going by the best advice I’ve been able to find so far.
I'm sorry you took things that way. The folks here answer questions, and give advice, opinions, and tips every day. We have no idea of a new member's age, sex, education level, life experiences, etc. We may be addressing 70 year old retirees, or 12 year old herpetologists. Without knowing for sure, we have to make some judgment calls. We can either explain things plainly, or dole out information piecemeal, which can take a lot longer.

Also, you're not the only person who reads these posts—nor the only one they're intended for.
I'm sure you've learned some things by reading other threads and posts that weren't directed at/to you personally. Others will read this thread. When we respond, we try to address both the OP and anyone else who may be reading.

I’m not sure what gaps you’re talking about.
1637725756088.png

1637725981781.png

1637728229572.png

When these enclosures are wrapped, it needs to be tight as I explained, or it's not going to achieve the desired effect.

And I am not buying a hybrid enclosure when I spent over 400 on the one I have now just to let the old one sit in my spare bedroom. It would have been ideal but that’s not the decision I initially made so I’m trying to make what I have already work.
Explaining hybrids is not saying you should get one—or even that I think you should.
I was very clear about things you've done that I thought were good, and I offered tips YOU asked for.
I added some shower curtain plastic to the front door and the bottom of the screen in the outside and the next step would be to get a humidifier for the room. Anyone have any tips?

Well, my chameleon does not enjoy being under the mist at all.
It was just an example of how individual chameleons can differ.

Im not sure how the double misthead can be separated it is one single piece. I have a third nozzle on the opposite side in the opposite corner, and I assembled the nozzles in the spaces provided in the enclosure.
A double mist head can be split, but it may take an additional fitting or two, and an additional mounting bracket or equiv. I related what I saw; I did not see the third nozzle.

I’m strongly considering going to Home Depot and having pieces of PVC cut to put over the screen but I wanted to exhaust other resources first.
I came on here to seek friendly advice :/
And that's what you got. Some of may not have been what you wanted to hear, but that's not asking for advice—it's looking for validation.

And I concluded with:
I recognize we both live in areas with exceptionally dry (for chameleons) winters, and I'm relating what works—for us—from my own husbandry and a lifetime of experience. Like everyone else here, I'm trying to help, but you're free to ignore.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom