Help - Calcium Deficiency

She has quite a bit of damage from the MBD and she is showing mature coloration so she could be producing eggs too. Don't wait too long to get her to the vets.

As has been said...the damage will mostly remain. She should get her bone strength back though if you get her treated quickly. I can't tell how much other damage could have been done because of the calcium levels though since I'm not a vet. I have seen a lot of chameleons live long lives once the calcium is corrected.

A vet could give her injections of calcium and when her blood calcium levels are high enough, she could be given a shot of calcitonin to draw the calcium rapidly back into her bones. This would be her quickest way to recovery.

Here's an article you should read...
http://adcham.com/html/veterinary/mbd-fractures-kramer.html

You said you use T-rex supplements...does it have calcium, phosphorus, D3 or vitamin A (acetate or palmitate or beta carotene) in it? How often do you dust the insects...at every feeding? Once a week? Etc.?

What do you gutload/feed your insects specifically?

You also might want to change things in her cage for now so she won't fall and cause more breaks to her bones. If you take out the tall branches and give her a piece of bark leaning on a small angle (45 degrees) against the side of the cage and lower the lights so she will still keep warm and get her UVB it would be safer for her until she gets stronger.

You also want to look at your husbandry to ensure that once this is corrected it doesn't happen again.

Its important to dust the insects just before feeding them to the chameleon with a phos.-free calcium powder at most feedings. This helps to make up for the usually poor ratio of calcium to phos. found in most feeder insects.

I dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. I leave it to produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB light. BTW...the UVB light should not pass through glass or plastic.

I dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. Beta carotene will not build up in the system like prEformed vitamin A will...however, there is controversy as to whether any/all chameleons can convert the beta carotene into vitamin A....so some people give them a little prEformed once in a while. Excess prEformed vitamin A may prevent the chameleon from using its D3 and push it towards MBD so be very careful with it.

Gutloading/feeding the insects a good diet is important too. I gutload crickets, superworms, roaches (and you can gutload locusts too) with a wide assortment of greens (dandelions, collards, kale, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, celery leaves, zucchini, etc.).

Appropriate temperatures...aids in digestion and thus indirectly in nutrient absorption.

Here are some articles that might help...
http://chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=102
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
Read the ones about vitamin A and D3/Calcium...
http://web.archive.org/web/20060502...als.com/vet/index.php?show=8.Gout.Basics.html
BTW...please don't ever leave her without a place to dig in the cage.

I don't know how old you are....so it might be a good idea to let your Mom read this post and look at the sites I listed too.

Good luck with her recovery!

Hello,Right,
Im 14, so i will yeah, show my mum, but it is mainly me looking after her, I will also show my dad cause he helps when im at school.
The T - Rex which i used to use hasabout 15% of calcium, but im using Komodo Cricket dust which is 99% Pure Calcium.
I do gutload with lettuce and things like that, but not as much as I should, I dont think.
My mum spoke to the nearest vet today and is going to book an appointment for this week, It is £28 for the consultation and the injection, But I will see how it goes and what He / she says about her... Fingers Crossed that she can get better, but if she can't...
Thanks, for all the help and the articles.
Josh

My mum rang up the vets today and I have an appointment for her on Friday.
Fingers Crossed it all goes well.

I've been to the Vets today, and the Vet said that she will be fine, She has had a injection into her blood stream, Which should start to make her better in about 4 - 5 days.
I also have a paste, which i need to feed her. It is calcium, vitamins and minerals to help her.
Thanks

Good luck Josh and Cham Cham :D

Keep us posted on her progress!

And dont forget to come back here as often as possible, even if it is just to read other peoples threads...but even more so if you have a question or worry that you think these guys could help you with :D

Good luck Josh and Cham Cham :D

Keep us posted on her progress!

And dont forget to come back here as often as possible, even if it is just to read other peoples threads...but even more so if you have a question or worry that you think these guys could help you with :D

Thanks :), i think she feels better than before because she is becoming more of a lighter green and she looks more lively. Aswell she was trying to climb yesterday, but i stopped her because i didnt want her to hurt herself.
Thanks
Josh.
I will keep you posted, in a about 4 days i will send another picture, and of the setup.

Back
Top Bottom