Help! 7 month old Chameleon having issues for 2 days

rclgulley

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled,female, 7/8 months old. I have had her for almost 5 months
Handling - two/three times a week with no problems. Does not show stress.
Feeding -5-6 crickets every day dusted with calcium supplement without D3; greens usually every day; fruit 2-3 times a week.
Supplements - ReptiCalcium with and without D3. Also, on Exoterra Multivitamin. She gets without D3 daily; Multivitamin and D3 once every two weeks.
Watering - She has a big dripper set up to drop once a second into her holding down into a tray. Also mist 2-3 times a day for 1-2 minutes.
Fecal Description - Has not been tested for parasites. Fecal has been very dry and small with normal amount of urate. Change recent.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen on front, top, and sides. Plexi back and bottom. 18″x18″x36″
Lighting - 12 hours daily schedule of heat lamp and UVB bulb from 6 AM to 6PM; no lighting at night. 2 deep dome lights fixtures with 45 watt Zoo Med Daylight Blue Bulb; exoterra REPTILE UVB100
Temperature - digital thermometer set up; ranges from mid-70s to low 90s. Overnight low 72.
Humidity - digital hygrometer; 40-70% humidity
Plants - Just fake vines, but put in clippings for browsing and real wood perching.
Placement - Off the ground 3 feet; in separate quiet room with other reptiles away from windows and vents
Location- Alabama, US

Current Problem -

Fecals have been very dry and small. Still has urate. Noticed three days ago. Upped misting and made sure dripper was continuous. Is irritable when putting in food items when she used to be hand fed. Did not eat today. Has been very dark in color and puffed up like she is stressed, but goes back to normal when she is asleep. I will post a picture tomorrow when she is active in the morning. Came home today to check on her and found her with mouth gaped open. Closed it once I came in to mist her. I have a nesting box set up that's 2 ft deep with moist play sand, thought she may need to lay eggs, even though when palpated, she does not feel like she has any eggs. Left her in for about two hours, but nothing was done. Returned her to her normal cage for bedtime, and immediately went to sleep, turning back into her bright green self, still a little puffy then normal. Is there anything else that could possibly be wrong? This is my first chameleon and know only what I have read and looked up. Regardless, if she is not better in a day or two, will be going to the vet for a visit. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rachel

Morning update

Well this morning her color is more normal, but her grip and movements are much slower. I gave her a mixture of calcium without d3 and pear baby food which she normally loves. I'm hoping she will eat. If anyone has any thoughts, they are greatly appreciated. I'm very worried about her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 120
Not an expect but I would say she's getting ready to lay. My female veiled always used to get really pissy on the run up to a shed also. She was always irritable!

I do not have one in her cage, I was actually planning on buying her a potted plant to go inside for her to dig in on my off day, which is tomorrow, because I knew since her gravid color pattern appeared almost two weeks ago, she'd probably need to lay soon. I have set up a temporary bin outside of her cage, which is a two foot deep tub filled with moist play sand. I had her in today for about three hours and didn't really dig around. She did eat a cricket this afternoon and a small amount pear baby food.

She is my first chameleon so I greatly appreciate the help and advice. I have been super worried about this egg laying time, and reading something is totally different from actually seeing it for yourself.
Thanks again so much!
Rachel

From what I have read, it can take them quite a while to decide when and where to lay eggs. I think many folks leave the bin inside the cage so the female can access it as she pleases. Also they need privacy and often will stop the laying process if disturbed which could lead to egg binding, which is a serious problem. I don't have girls for that very reason so hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience will share their knowledge with you. From the picture she looks like she is carrying eggs.

Back
Top Bottom