Help 1st time owner

Nwarden

I got kiwi (I pretty sure it's a girl) about a week ago. I did buy her from a pet store which I know is bad but they had three in a very little all glass cage. I am currently building her her adult cage which is 2 ft by 2ft and 4 ft tall. For now I have her in a exoterra cage. She is eating good and her bowel movements look good too. I am just wondering if anyone could double check her sex, approximate her age, and just tell me if she looks over all healthy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 121
From the second pic you posted, there appears to be a tarsal spur which means you have a male. It is hard to tell the age by the first pic as I need something to compare his size to like your hand. Pics can be deceiving when the chameleon is just taken by itself. Maybe someone else can tell you the age by that pic, but I don't want to give you the wrong answer. If you an post a few other angles of the back feet it would be helpful to be certain it is a male.

In the picture it looks like a female but the picture of the foot has a spur...so... I would guess male. My guess on the age would be 4-5 months.

I agree with carol. Appears to have a spur- which would indicate male. Age would be easier to determine with picture of chameleon on your hand. Health wise he/she looks to be nice and hydrated. Limbs are good and straight from what I can see in the pictures. So overall looks healthy to me. If he/se is from a pet store they probably didn't gut load their feeders so I would make sure you are gut loading them about 24 hours before you give them to him/her. Repashy bug burger is what I recommend for new owners. It's very easy/fast to make and a well rounded gut load. As you get more comfortable and set in with your routine of taking care of him/her it will be easier to make those gut loads even better! Lighting and supplementation are also key factors. Water needs to be dripping and not in a bowl. A lot of times big chain pet stores have bowls of wAter in the cages. Mainly because if they don't have a source of water present in the cage people assume the chameleon isn't being cared for properly. Which in turn causes people to complain to corporate offices. A lot of people are not aware that chameleons don't recognize standing water. Only the reflection in drops as they cascade down leaves. You may know all this already I'm just throwing all this out there incase you were unaware. Here is the care sheet for your veiled. It has all the basic info you will need!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Also- rescuing chameleons from pet stores only makes the problem worse. Supply and demand. If the chameleons are being bought, they simply replace with another victim. It's very hard to turn an walk away I know! Just keep that in mind for the future :) glad this guy/gal has a good owner though!

Back
Top Bottom