Helmeted chameleon

Humm no i really mind the door access because one time a week im pumping excess of water around clayballs and.. 1 time every day im putting a new plant, moss, isopods that i find fancy or rock or cork :p kind of an addiction so i will be sad to lot such access! :)

i still can see the difference with air "chimney" with addition of fan system, ts subtil but still better than withou t (i tested with 18x18x18 same system) but definitey not on point (nothing perfect :/ )

You must be right for the natural airflow, room air flow do sucks.. i use multiple fans and open my windows to help with air circulation otherwise air is thick.. having screen enclosure will not help if air stagnant and many people forget this "detail"!

Curious to see this drawing!
Do you have pictures of some of your enclosure?

Im not a glass or screen believer but im definitely a "if you do something.. do it right believer ;) "

Ho! is the temperature get too hot in an all glass enclosure? or chimney prevent this?

Fair enough, :).

I am All Glass, or "enclosed" rather myself.

On your future revisions, If you don't mind not having the door access, 40 gallon breeders can be had at Petco sale for 40 dollars (they have dollar per gallon sales quite often).

No a 40 gallon breeder doesn't have the air vents, however putting the screen on top as you have, makes those vents do basically nothing. The glass cages are designed for the chimney effect. However, a solid side screen, or a top half screen, or screen cages in general negate this effect.

I want to do some comparison testing, however in a room with no air movement (no AC, or Fans, Ect) a glass vivarium, likely has more airflow than screen TBH. They are designed as they are, to simulate airflow, where a screen cage is at the mercy of room air flow.

I posted a picture diagram (loose, made in paint) illustrating this the other day. I'm on break for a minute, from fixing a water leak in my bathroom, but will find it and post it up in a bit.

Humm no i really mind the door access because one time a week im pumping excess of water around clayballs and.. 1 time every day im putting a new plant, moss, isopods that i find fancy or rock or cork :p kind of an addiction so i will be sad to lot such access! :)

i still can see the difference with air "chimney" with addition of fan system, ts subtil but still better than withou t (i tested with 18x18x18 same system) but definitey not on point (nothing perfect :/ )

You must be right for the natural airflow, room air flow do sucks.. i use multiple fans and open my windows to help with air circulation otherwise air is thick.. having screen enclosure will not help if air stagnant and many people forget this "detail"!

Curious to see this drawing!
Do you have pictures of some of your enclosure?

Im not a glass or screen believer but im definitely a "if you do something.. do it right believer ;) "

Ho! is the temperature get too hot in an all glass enclosure? or chimney prevent this?

I had forgot lol, been LONG day lol.

This example was wrapping 3 sides of a screen cage, and how the chimney would function in that setup (or not really function lol)

Red, obvious the hot air out, (there really should be more red, but as I said it was a quick sketch :p) Blue to Lavender, are for different levels of air, darker color more air.

chimney-effect-jpg.258900

So having Glass designed the way the Exoterras are, create a wind tunnel effect, where the Air can only come from 1 place, the bottom of the viv (right above the soil, if setup as bio, as it should)
So this in turn creates a forced ventilation, when the hot air rises, it creates a negative pressure, that forces cold air to be pulled inwards, in a screen cage, that air comes from the sides, however when the only place for the air to come from is the bottom, it comes from the bottom.

Air flows, just like water, it will always take the path of least resistance. In a screen cage, that path is to the side, its going to take the closest easiest cooler air to replace the warm air.

As to pics, of one of mine, I use a bunch of exos, for other things, and currently only have 1 Panther, but am working on talking the wife into letting me have a rack, of cages. Which I will have to custom build, to fit my needs.

I dont have any recent, full size Shots, let me see how my Flash fairs, and swap to phone.

Pretty dimmly lit, flash didn't want to work, and I didn't want to bother him too much, so just turned on UVB for a second to grab a current pic.
IMG_20200219_211916.jpg

It's taking a long time to grow in, much longer than I was thinking/hoping it would :(. Every plant is Madgascar native from panther elevations.

Screen top, and there is vents in the sides, right at the soil line. 3.5 inches, by 18 inches wide. Living area is 47wx25dx50t, 8 inch soil bin, and cupboard underneath.

Last edited:
I had forgot lol, been LONG day lol.

This example was wrapping 3 sides of a screen cage, and how the chimney would function in that setup (or not really function lol)

Red, obvious the hot air out, (there really should be more red, but as I said it was a quick sketch :p) Blue to Lavender, are for different levels of air, darker color more air.

chimney-effect-jpg.258900

So having Glass designed the way the Exoterras are, create a wind tunnel effect, where the Air can only come from 1 place, the bottom of the viv (right above the soil, if setup as bio, as it should)
So this in turn creates a forced ventilation, when the hot air rises, it creates a negative pressure, that forces cold air to be pulled inwards, in a screen cage, that air comes from the sides, however when the only place for the air to come from is the bottom, it comes from the bottom.

Air flows, just like water, it will always take the path of least resistance. In a screen cage, that path is to the side, its going to take the closest easiest cooler air to replace the warm air.

As to pics, of one of mine, I use a bunch of exos, for other things, and currently only have 1 Panther, but am working on talking the wife into letting me have a rack, of cages. Which I will have to custom build, to fit my needs.

I dont have any recent, full size Shots, let me see how my Flash fairs, and swap to phone.

Pretty dimmly lit, flash didn't want to work, and I didn't want to bother him too much, so just turned on UVB for a second to grab a current pic.
View attachment 259049

It's taking a long time to grow in, much longer than I was thinking/hoping it would :(. Every plant is Madgascar native from panther elevations.

Screen top, and there is vents in the sides, right at the soil line. 3.5 inches, by 18 inches wide. Living area is 47wx25dx50t, 8 inch soil bin, and cupboard underneath.
cyberlocc and mawtyplant nice hyjack! I believe the post title is Helmeted chameleon. LOL!

cyberlocc and mawtyplant nice hyjack! I believe the post title is Helmeted chameleon. LOL!

Didnt mean to :(.

You should really make a care blog on this species, if you find the time. This question has been coming up alot lately, as have this species. This was one of 3 posts about this species and and its care in the last few days.

Didnt mean to :(.

You should really make a care blog on this species, if you find the time. This question has been coming up alot lately, as have this species. This was one of 3 posts about this species and and its care in the last few days.
I did a blog With Bill Strand a few weeks ago. He'll post it after editing.

Back
Top Bottom