Helmeted Chameleon died just two weeks after purchase. :(

Darkjester

I purchased it from Underground Reptiles two weeks ago. When he came in he had a small injury on his lip that never really went away. Just today I find him dead on the bottom of the enclosure. :(

He was eating, drinking, sleeping. Have heat, UVB, proper misting, live plants.... I had a Veiled in there before that was happy and thriving so I don't know what happened but I am not happy that they sent me an injured one to begin with. it cost me $110 (70 for chameleon + overnight shipping)!

In one of the pictures, it's slightly blurry, but has a big red bump that's been there since I got him.

Attachments

• IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 224
Hi Darkjester,

I see this is your first post, so Welcome; I wish it were under better circumstances. Condolences on your loss—it's difficult to lose a pet for any reason.

I don't discern any questions, so I surmise this is more of a vent—which is fine.

I hope it's OK if I ask you a couple/few questions...
  1. Did you know or realize that you were buying a Wild Caught (WC) vs. Captive Bred (CB) animal, and that there are more inherent risks (e.g. disease, parasites, injury, stress) with WC animals than with CB? This vendor thinly veils this fact by calling them "Field Collected"; IOW, field collected = wild caught.

Captive Bred vs Wild Caught

2. Did you happen to take your chameleon to a herp (one who specializes in reptiles) veterinarian for a health check and fecal exam? This is recommended (minimally a fecal exam) for any new reptiles, WC or CB.

3. Aside from the injury on his lip, did he manifest any other symptoms (e.g. discharge, limp or favoring, coordination issues, eyes, lethargy, etc.)?
For future reference, there's an article with good advice on Purchasing A Chameleon in the Resources section of this site. I encourage you to read it, and everything else in the Resources section. I spent several hours doing just that when I first signed up here.

IDK if there's any way that we can help, but if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

It was Wild Caught.

No vet.

Yes, blood from lip when I got him though it stopped after a day. Nothing else that I'm aware of.

The bump could have been an abscess, which if not lanced and cleaned out could cause sepsis. Being wild caught it could have had a high parasite load or other health issue. The stress of shipping would have exacerbated it all. Very sorry. He was beautiful. :(

First let me say I'm sorry for your loss.
I never buy animals from anywhere with pet, back or under in the name. The odds of getting a healthy pet are much lower than from a private breeder. They few dollars you save will likely be spent on vet bills or heart ache.
I do know a few people that breed them contact me if you want to try again with a captive bred.
Note: the care is different for helmeted chameleons than it is for veiled but I doubt two weeks made a difference in the out come.

Sorry for your loss

Whag temperatires did you habe at daytime and night? What was the basking temp and how kong the basking lamp was on?
What hydration method have you used?
Have you used bee pollen?

Sorry, beautiful lil guy... sure the injury was actually on his lip or possibly being thrown up (internal) ?? (maybe a transport injury??) we were thinking ordering from them...

Underground Reptiles has a reputation for this sort of thing. As Jill mentioned, finding a private breeder and former loving home will greatly enhance your happiness and the animal’s health (usually).

The injury to its mouth was likely due to it trying to escape the cage or container it was in... rubbing its face against the sides and not understanding why it cant push through. One of my WC chams has that (healed up little scar now).

I’m very sorry for your loss.

I purchased it from Underground Reptiles two weeks ago. When he came in he had a small injury on his lip that never really went away. Just today I find him dead on the bottom of the enclosure. :(

He was eating, drinking, sleeping. Have heat, UVB, proper misting, live plants.... I had a Veiled in there before that was happy and thriving so I don't know what happened but I am not happy that they sent me an injured one to begin with. it cost me $110 (70 for chameleon + overnight shipping)!

In one of the pictures, it's slightly blurry, but has a big red bump that's been there since I got him.

Sorry for your loss its always sad to lost an aminal especially without knowing the reason :/

at two week.. it barely can be your fault, so he might be a wc in already poor condition, the seller might event not realise this himself, chameleons, especially when they are stress are master to hide symptoms.

But, i ear you say you got everything. can you show me or describe me your enclosure? Hoeh are really different from veiled sp if you want another in the futur, i might be able to help you setting your next home ;)

Thanks guys, but it is also likely it wasn’t cold enough at night like helmeted chameleons apparently need. Either way, I’m not trying another one. Will save up and get a Panther when I can. I only went with a hemleted because my veiled outgrew my enclosure and I didn’t have the space for a bigger one. I will be making changes so I can make room for a big enough space for a panther.

Thanks guys, but it is also likely it wasn’t cold enough at night like helmeted chameleons apparently need. Either way, I’m not trying another one. Will save up and get a Panther when I can. I only went with a hemleted because my veiled outgrew my enclosure and I didn’t have the space for a bigger one. I will be making changes so I can make room for a big enough space for a panther.
So sorry for your loss. As already stated it was more then likely a wild caught cham. Make sure you strip the enclosure and clean it thoroughly. Just in case it also had a parasite issue that could transfer to a new cham.

So sorry for your loss! ?
If you ever decide to get another Cham, I hope you’ll get one who lives with you a lot longer.

Back
Top Bottom