hello

heretolearn

Hi! I am new to this site. I am looking for general information that anyone is willing to share with me regarding chameleons. I would like to purchase my first two in the next few weeks and am trying to learn all I can to make sure that I'll be able to take care of them the way that they need to be taken care of! I also have two small boys (5 and 2) and am wondering what your thoughts are on chameleons as pets with children in the household? Are they friendly :) ?? I am an avid pet lover who is very much into aquariums among other things, but I have never dabbled with reptiles! Does anyone care to share their thoughts/experiences with me?? Thank you.

Chameleons are more to look at than to hold and touch. Now if you think your boys can understand that...then thats great. Most chameleons aren't aggressive if held but they don't enjoy it so to speak. Now veileds have a rep for being biters but i think half the people here will say they have one that doesn't. Still something to consider with small children.

Reptile recommendation

Hi there....if you are looking at delving into reptiles and you have two small children, I would not recommend a cham. What a would recommend is a bearded dragon. They are awesome little critters that are very social and very much enjoy being held. Aswith any animal, but especially reptiles, make sure you do your research before purchasing one. They have pretty high heat requirements, but as I said they are awesome reptiles. We have a baby beardie now. Good luck!

You should have little concerns to if Chameleons are friendly or not, as they are not meant to be handled or botherd. They are meant to be enjoyed, watched, and I'm absolutely positive that everyone in this forum will agree that the best part about keeping them is the personal study of them. How they live, interact, think.

If you are looking for reptiles your 5 year old can handle, then maybe opt for a Bearded Dragon, Collard Lizard, or a Cornsnake. A 2 year old does not have the thought capacity to responsibly handle these delicate animals though.

Good luck, and welcome to the world of reptiles.

Back
Top Bottom