Hello everyone

Russ.lee

Good evening everyone, hope you are all well
My name is Russ or as my mum calls me Russell , usually means I'm in trouble even tho I'm 50 and got my own place many years ago lol
I used to keep reptiles years ago until circumstances changed . I love being outdoors experiencing nature , music films and all the usual rubbish . I am married with 3 wonderful kids , now grown up and I am now in the situation where I have more time and a spare room ,so now rekindling my hobby
Introducing George the Yemen chameleon
IMG20201031103600.jpg
IMG20201031113239.jpg

If you'd like to answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum, we could check to see if everything is ok.
The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear Reptisun 5.0 tune light. The one you're using isn't then best.

I’ll try to share some experience here. Mercury vapour bulbs put out a ton of light and heat. They certainly produce high levels of uvb, but they also get very hot. On top of the cage, a 100watt MV will be too much uvb for anything within 10” of the bulb, and will cook anything within that range too. MV bulbs can be used to good effect, but it’s almost impossible without a solar meter. The highest temp your Cham should be able to experience is 85f. And, depending on the species, uv indexes higher than 8 are dangerous. My humble opinion is that, unless you’re using a solar meter, and carefully monitoring the highest temp your Cham can experience, MV bulbs should not be used.
Also, MV bulbs tend to put out a lot of light and heat below the bulb, but very little to either side. I’d recommend getting a good t5 uvb bulb, and using a cheap 40 watt incandescent bulb for heat.

I dont want to be a downer here, but please consider these points.

I should add to my last post: if you have a female veiled, there’s some evidence that basking temps (highest reachable temp your Cham can experience) higher than 80f, can contribute to large clutch size. This can be stressful to them.

Ugh! I sound like one of those posters that never has anything positive to say, but loves criticizing. I’m sorry! Welcome to the forums, and please excuse my proclivity for criticism.

I’ll try to share some experience here. Mercury vapour bulbs put out a ton of light and heat. They certainly produce high levels of uvb, but they also get very hot. On top of the cage, a 100watt MV will be too much uvb for anything within 10” of the bulb, and will cook anything within that range too. MV bulbs can be used to good effect, but it’s almost impossible without a solar meter. The highest temp your Cham should be able to experience is 85f. And, depending on the species, uv indexes higher than 8 are dangerous. My humble opinion is that, unless you’re using a solar meter, and carefully monitoring the highest temp your Cham can experience, MV bulbs should not be used.
Also, MV bulbs tend to put out a lot of light and heat below the bulb, but very little to either side. I’d recommend getting a good t5 uvb bulb, and using a cheap 40 watt incandescent bulb for heat.

I dont want to be a downer here, but please consider these points.
Thanks it's getting late hear now and George (Georgette) has gone to bed and me too very soon I will have a look for the form tomorrow and double check all temps humidity again . I am keeping a close eye on her and am appreciative of any advice/help

Females will lay eggs without being mated....if you overfeed them once they get their big girl colors and keep the temperatures too high in the basking area you will almost certainly end up with her producing huge clutches, developing MBD and quite likely prolapsing and becoming eggbound ...and dying young.

Good evening everyone, hope you are all well
My name is Russ or as my mum calls me Russell , usually means I'm in trouble even tho I'm 50 and got my own place many years ago lol
I used to keep reptiles years ago until circumstances changed . I love being outdoors experiencing nature , music films and all the usual rubbish . I am married with 3 wonderful kids , now grown up and I am now in the situation where I have more time and a spare room ,so now rekindling my hobby
Introducing George the Yemen chameleonView attachment 282060View attachment 282061
Welcome Russ and George(ette)! Looking forward to seeing more of you both. :)

Back
Top Bottom