Hello, everyone!!

TwinMomma

:):)I'm new to the reptile life =) I'm preparing a home for a veiled chameleon that I'm going to be purchasing in a week or so. My brother used to own a reptile store which is how my interest got sparked! I'm open to any information any of you have that could be helpful to me. I've purchased a 3'x18"x18" enclosure (screened). I've also purchased artifical vines, UVB bulb, heat bulb, and a night time bulb as well. I got calcium powder that also had vitamin D3 in it for the food. I'm looking to purchase some grapevine for the little guy to climb on, I'm looking into the safest way to attach all of this to my screen cage, though. I am also contemplating purchasing a ficus tree, thoughts??? I'm extremely anxious to adopt my new "baby"! Any information/input is welcomed and appreciated! Thank you!!!

Thanks everyone!! I've grown quite obsessed with him :) I have 4 kids and I don't think I've researched anything about them as much as I have for Perry (yea, that's what I named him ;)) But anyhow, he's done well so far. I've managed to keep misting him a few times a day, I haven't quite gotten down how much he'll eat just yet. Sometimes he'll eat till every cricket is gone and sometimes he won't. Just yesterday he ate 10 crickets in a matter of minutes! Hungry little guy! I haven't gotten him a live plant yet, the temp and humidity have managed to stay at a safe place for the time being. Well, my little ones are awake so I'm off to do more of my TwinMomma thing! Thanks again for the replies!!!:D

Do you also have calcium without 3d ? They can get too much 3d - you also don't want a light on at night - even a colored one

Yeah, no night light. you can use a ceramic heater, if you must and temps are super cold at night. make sure to have all the correct supplements: multivitamin. d3. Calcium w/ d3. Calcium w/no d3. you may want to purchase a cricket cage or worm cage, if needed. don't forget fruits and veggies, baby foods, honey, they like a variety. especially the smaller they are.

Hmm...I actually have been using a nocturnal heat lamp (red one) every night for him. What's bad about them??? I have a cricket cage, I gut load them with fruits & veggies before feeding. I dust my crickets with MinerAll. Perry doesn't seem to be bothered by the taste so far! And as far as feeding them fruits and veggies, what's the easiest way to offer them? Are the veggie clips a good option? Gosh, thanks again everyone for all the info!! I'll take anything I can get =) :D

Chameleons need complete darkness to sleep so a night light will cause problems so please ditch that. For dusting dust calcium without d3 every feeding and calcium with d3 2x a month and a multivitamin 2x a month. I'm not sure if you out any in but for live plants definently use Pothos because they are very hard and offer many walkways. You cane also use a ficus or schefflera.

You've got that right, he's definitely addicting!! I know they're not big on being handled but I try and hold him at least once a day to get him used to it and me. I do keep up with his vitamins and minerals, that's for sure. The night lighting is still iffy :( I'm afraid he won't be warm enough throughout the night, especially since he's been using it since I got him. Aren't there different bulbs, though?? Maybe instead of the red one, maybe the black one? He shed for the first time while he's been here!! It was amazing :D :D

Nope, no type of light for night time. They can see all colors of light so they need no light; they really don't need heat at night either, just during the day. Unless your room temps get below 50-55 at night he will be ok. I actually have a calendar to keep track of supplements. The calcium with D3 only needs to be given twice a month and the same with the multivitamins. Offer a variety of foods besides crickets, phoenix worms, hornworms, silkworms, butterworms. Some people even buy Blue bottle flies, mantids, snails and locusts for their chams. I have a colony of Dubia roaches and am starting a colony of Turkistan roaches for Omar. There is lots of good info on the forums and lots of people willing to help. Welcome and good luck!

Nope, no type of light for night time. They can see all colors of light so they need no light; they really don't need heat at night either, just during the day. Unless your room temps get below 50-55 at night he will be ok. I actually have a calendar to keep track of supplements. The calcium with D3 only needs to be given twice a month and the same with the multivitamins. Offer a variety of foods besides crickets, phoenix worms, hornworms, silkworms, butterworms. Some people even buy Blue bottle flies, mantids, snails and locusts for their chams. I have a colony of Dubia roaches and am starting a colony of Turkistan roaches for Omar. There is lots of good info on the forums and lots of people willing to help. Welcome and good luck!

some good advice here, they dont need light or heat at night as long as it doesnt get much lower then 60* in your house.

Finally, some pictures!!!!

Attachments

• CAM00766.jpg
    CAM00766.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 149
  • CAM00767.jpg
    CAM00767.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 146
Back
Top Bottom