hello, can I get some answers from those in the know

If the bulb fits into a clamp lamp-it is a compact UVB-if possible I would try to return it for the linear tube type-you can get a fixture for the 18" or 24" size bulb at WalMart for under $10.00. The compact flourescents have been linked to eye issues and other problems. They are trying to fix them, but there is still alot of testing to be done.

you are talking the type of lighting that goes over an aquarium right? I think we have one somewhere! on it!
thanks!
an I think the guy at the shop will exchange the bulbs, it is a small family bussiness, they are pretty good to work with.

you are talking the type of lighting that goes over an aquarium right? I think we have one somewhere! on it!
thanks!
an I think the guy at the shop will exchange the bulbs, it is a small family bussiness, they are pretty good to work with.

Yes-but you need the UVB-most recommended Reptisun 5.0, but Reptiglo would work also--you can order from Reptmart.com and get one for $13.99. All UVB bulbs must be changed out every 6-9 months.

good! will do!
and you all are right, looks like a Senegal. wonderful site packed with info!
I'll have my son read it in the morning.

the site has all the colors and moods, that is good stuff.
it had been light green in the old cage, that was good. but this afternoon the move to the new cage and he is darker, not black but fairly dark, guess they don't like change. I am hoping to see a green fellow in the morning once he hass settled

While the darker coloring does mean stress it could also mean he is cold.
You should get a digital themometer in the ccage asap!
And place it around the basking area (in most cases the basking area should be around 80-90 degrees F depending on what cham you have).
It's crucial to know the exact tempetures because chams need to be warm to best 'process or take in' the uvb rays and also incorrect tempetures could lead to
repistory infections or some times burns.

Its a male, BTW.

You can/should gutload/feed your crickets a wide variety of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet red peppers, sweet potato, celery leaves, etc.)

Since many of the feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus so its important to dust with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder at most feedings.

If you dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder it will ensure that it gets some D3 without overdoing it and it leaves it to produce the rest of its D3 from its exposure to the UVB. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to problems while D3 produced from exposure to UVB shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it.

Dusting with a vitamin powder with a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that it gets its vitamins without overdosing the vitamin A since beta carotene won't build up in the system. However, there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene into prEformed vitamin A so some people give their chameleons a little prEformed vitamin A once in a while. Excess prEformed may prevent the D3 from doing its job and lead to MBD...so don't overdo it.

Appropriate temperatures also play a part since they aid in digestion and so indirectly in nutrient absorption.

Calcium, D3, vitamin A and phos. are all important players in bone health and need to be in balance. You need to look at the supplements, what you feed to the chameleon and what you feed to the insects when trying to balance them.

This species need special attention to be given to hydration. Make sure it drinks every day even though it may take persistance.
Good luck with it!

ok, so the light I had was a ful spectrum NOT a uvb... got that corrected now and have the proper lighting. the little cham seemed very excited to have this light! do you think they know or feel the difference? he couldn't get close enough to it! I think he would have curled up on top of it if he could have!

Yep, they can "see colors" that we can't see that are produced only by UV rays. This is a good story of progress and it looks like you are doing good. You will eventually need an automatic dripper or mister and a way for the water to drain into a tub or outside the house.

And just to double check you did get the liner uvb bulb not a coiled one right (<--looks like a energy saver bulb)?
The coiled one can cause eye damage and i remember when i first started cham keeping I got one for pedro and thanks to the lovely people on here i corrected the mistake but i swear some times pedro doesnt see so well, and I keep telling my self its that darn bulb i used :(

well crap, guess it is back to the store! it is the coiled kind.
do both kinds of bulbs fit in the same housing?
and I didn't see the other kind :(

...the store people were clueless. I am learning this is very similar to the type of pittfalls of koi keeping. finding local knowledgeable help is difficult.

as far as drip system I was hoping to be able to mist and keep the leaves wet, doing a good job so far, I didn't understand how the drip system worked but it is starting to make sense. so, do I run the drip down a branch or just let it fall?

side note.....this little cham LOVES my son! from reading the article, it's calmest/happy color is light green and this little guy lite green anytime Ryan is holding him. He can be a gray tan color all day in the cage but as soon as Ryan picks him up he is green. hand him off to someone else and it is back to tan. but then again it is Ryan who hand feeds him crickets :rolleyes:

Its great to hear that :)
Alot of chams dont enjoy being picked up and looks like ryan got lucky with a cham that tolerates it :p
Any way i would suggest returning both the bulb and the fixture, unless you need the fixture for a basking lamp, because remember you need both a basking lamp and a uvb bulb.
Those fixtures should be able to fit a 50watt common house hold bulb and that should be good for basking (buy a digital thermometer to measure temps)
the uvb bulb will need a special florescent liner looking fixture.
it doesnt matter what brand the fixture is but ideally you want a reptisun 5.0 liner bulb OR a reptiglo 5.0 (only use the reptiglo 5.0if its your last option and still try finding a reptisun while its in use)
Heres some pics
hoodlamp.jpg

repi.jpg

ok, as I have been looking around I have read and seen a couple things bout chams eating greens, one was a video showing a cham eating hybiscus flower pedals. Does ours need any thing other than the bug/worm feedings?
(yes, calcium and vitamines I know)

Back
Top Bottom