Hello and how am I doing so far?

Alright I have been creeping around these forums constantly for months and its about time I actually post and introduce myself. So without further ado, hello all and I hope you seasoned and unseasoned members alike will be able to tell me how I am doing so far. So here we go!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - I am herp sitting a male veiled chameleon of unknown age but supposedly less than a year old.
Handling - Not since I brought him home on the 21st. However it used to be whenever he wanted -I have been working with him since January-
Feeding - I give him butterworms, silkworms, wax worms, and superworms. Soon to also have Dubai roaches. They are all gut loaded with fresh fruit and veggies.
Supplements - Repcal w/o d3 every feeding
Herptivite twice a month alternated with Repcal w/ d3 every other week.
Watering - Hand mist with luke warm water for a few minutes not long after lights come on at 8. Then every now and again through out the day. He also has a little dropper that drips all day for him.
Fecal Description - I was actually in a vet science class when I was working with him so we tested for parasites, none just a few cricket legs haha. But decals looks normal brown and solid, uragtes are white with a tad of orange (working on his hydration so we can get that mostly white)
History - Well before he came to my old vet tech class he was a Christmas present for some gal who didnt want him, we ended up taking him from her off Craigslist and since January he has been with us. Up until May 21st when school ended and I took him for the summer where I now try to spoil him a bit till he has to go back in August when school starts up again.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - The glass cage he used to have was about 16x16x30 or so. Now he has a wood DIY enclosure with glass doors and screen on top that measures about 44 wide, 44 tall and 24 deep or so. He has all live plants that include one pathos, one umbrella plant and 4 fuchsias (Lisa, dark eyes, pink marshmallow, and swingtime) soon to add in tree mallow plants.
Lighting - He has an 18" repti sun for uvb as well as his old uvb bulb for a bit more. And for basking he has a normal 250w heat bulb in a clip lamp fixture. Lights come on at 8am, and go off at 8pm.
Temperature - I have created about a 20 degree temp gradient from his basking spot to the opposite side cage floor going from the lower to mid 90's basking down to room temp in the 60's.
Humidity - Hand mist to maintain plus live plants. Ranges from the 40's to 80's at the highest.
Plants - As stated in his cage description he has a pathos, umbrella plant, and 4 fuchsia plants with soon to be tree mallows.
Placement - Cage is in my room where there is very low traffic minus dogs and myself or the occasional parental observer. Total height of the design is a tad over 6 foot so he is always taller than me haha. About 2 feet off the ground as well.
Location - Eagle River Alaska. So would love to hear from any of you other Alaskans :)

Anyway that is the info now here are the pictures! Oh yes by the way he was named Pascal during the school year. Anyway some pictures of him and his enclosure:

Welcome, I also lurked a couple of months but learnt alot!
Seems like you are doing a great job with your adopted little one! Great to see people looking after their pets/kids and spoiling them so much!

Welcome to the forums! Pascal is looking really good, and your husbandry seems right - I'd just cut out the wax worms. Think of them as a treat - great for getting him to walk onto your hand from time to time, but you don't want to make a steady diet of them. They are fatty, and your guy is a good weight right now. Other than that it looks good to me!

Welcome, I also lurked a couple of months but learnt alot!
Seems like you are doing a great job with your adopted little one! Great to see people looking after their pets/kids and spoiling them so much!
Hard not to lurk, I too learned so much here and am glad I researched before hand! And thank you, I try hard to make my pets (or in this case foster) happy. Still have a tad but of work to do on his enclosure as far as more branches to climb on :D

Welcome to the forums! Pascal is looking really good, and your husbandry seems right - I'd just cut out the wax worms. Think of them as a treat - great for getting him to walk onto your hand from time to time, but you don't want to make a steady diet of them. They are fatty, and your guy is a good weight right now. Other than that it looks good to me!:p
Thank you, he really is a handsome boy. As far as the wax worms, can do. He has only had 3 total in the 10 days of being at home with me, mostly so I could get him to eat his vitamins :p but I am glad my husbandry is good to go so far!

It looks very very nice. The one thing I see is that it looks like u have the uv one on side and the basking on the other. In my experience my veileds will tend to spend most of their time under the basking light and as such he may not spend enough time under the uv lights. In nature the uv and heat come from the same source so they do not seem to heave the thought that they need to leave the heat in search of uv.
Like I said tho very nice.

It looks very very nice. The one thing I see is that it looks like u have the uv one on side and the basking on the other. In my experience my veileds will tend to spend most of their time under the basking light and as such he may not spend enough time under the uv lights. In nature the uv and heat come from the same source so they do not seem to heave the thought that they need to leave the heat in search of uv.
Like I said tho very nice.

Yeah that was a slight design flaw on my part with the enclosure as they can only be on either side due to it being a very large enclosure and the best placements for them being there. Watching him he spends his mornings in the uvb then afternoon he will bask until near bed time where he sleeps just about anywhere haha. If I could I would fix the top up so I could put both fixtures at an angle to blend in the middle more for that purpose but that will have to wait until the new house. For now the ceilings are too short :eek: thank you for the pointer and compliments by the way, I will be sure to work on that.

Back
Top Bottom