Hello! Am I doing right with this little one?

Gawace

I'm posting this so I can receive some piece of advice about my cham, his conditions and what i'm doing wrong or i should do for him to offer a longer and happier life. So i keep my 5 months cham in a cage with bars ( 50 X 35 X 60 ). I feed him superworms and cockroaches and i supply its food with JBL TerraVit multivitamins and minerals ( contains vitamin D3 )( I use supplement every 3-4 days and i'm not sure that it's quite ok after reading all other posts from this forum). For lightning i use a day light JBL Reptil Spot 28 watt and a night light ExxoTerra Night GLO 75 watt. I spray it's cage more than 4-5 times a day with water to keep the enclosure wet enough. The problem is he does not eat fruits as it's recommended and he is a bit lazy and inactive, but eating well and drinks water every day. I feed him in the first half of the day with 2 superworms and 1 cockroach. Thanks and i'll wait for any advice :)

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 173
I don't see any mention of a UV light in your list of things.

A night light is not needed, 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness is required.

Also, how are you monitoring temperature and humidity?

Start here https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/ if you read thru this it will tell you everything you need to know. You MUST have a UVB light for a chameleon. Please take the time to read the care sheet and info attached to that page. The JBL Reptil Spot 28 watt is not a UVB light, its just a halogen bulb and only produces UVA and not UVB like your chameleon needs

my jbl reptil spot light does have UV, about monitoring humidity and temperature i'll be buying the right stuff this week, what do you suggest? The "night light" which is a source of infrared waves which it's more important for the cham to assimilate calcium in its bones, that's what i read before getting him.

I think you should research a little/way bit more. Look on the forums hear they have real great questions and answers! You really need a UVB light. In my opinion I suggest a 10.0 just because a 5.0 doesn't really give off alot of UVB in a large enclosure. And to much D3 is real bad and can toxicate your little guy. You should buy/have a pure calcium supplement and a supplement with vitamins and D3 (I use reptivite) offer pure calcium 4x a week and supplement with D3 1-2x a month you should aswell feed way more than judt that to him. I feed mines crickets,roaches, and superworm. Feed as many crickets and roaches he wants to eat till its adult. I feed mines 4x roaches 2x crickets 1x superworms

Is it a panther? if it is you should feed more crickets, super worms imo should be treats.i say that because a while back I had one that would only eat supers and he developed anal relapse .all I can think of is his stool was hard due to the harder bodies of the super. I can't prove that but I wouldn't take a chance. You should give give him gutloaded crickets as a main staple.also 4-6 misting a day is easy too much. , winter 2x, summer3×. You should also have a dripper one a day. Too much water can cause ri. Even if it's a veiled it's too much water. Good luck

Congrats!

Do you plan to cup-feed him in the long-term? I would imagine that he'd enjoy hunting around his cage as well, but the cage itself concerns me for 2 reasons:
-I've heard horror stories about bird-cage style enclosures being dangerous because chams can get limbs caught between the wires hurt themselves and that's no good.
-Also because feeders would easily escape through the gaps. I would suggest a larger cage with a mesh screen instead so he can have room to climb higher and hunt for bugs.

Do you plan to cup-feed him in the long-term? I would imagine that he'd enjoy hunting around his cage as well, but the cage itself concerns me for 2 reasons:
-I've heard horror stories about bird-cage style enclosures being dangerous because chams can get limbs caught between the wires hurt themselves and that's no good.
-Also because feeders would easily escape through the gaps. I would suggest a larger cage with a mesh screen instead so he can have room to climb higher and hunt for bugs.

The OP could line the insides of the cage with fine mesh, which would avoid the problem but I agree with you - bars are a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom