Hello all i am new to chameleon keeping but not to reptiles!

L8NiTe

Hello i joined a while ago and wanted to introduce myself.My name is Mike i live in Cincinnati Ohio.I have kept sudan plated lizards various geckos and pythons and many different tarantulas and scorpions in my time.I have always wanted to get a chameleon but at the time i had the thought my 2 children were small and i was worried they would be touchy feely when i wasnt keeping a good eye on them.Now they are 9 and 8 and understand more about giving reptiles their space.

I am purchasing "Homeboy" from Drcrossfire as my first male,i plan to purchase a female as well so down the road if they are ready to mate they will of seen each other before so hopefully i get a good reaction out of them both.Im not getting into the hobby to become a breeder,just want to go through every phase of life a chameleon goes through.

I would appreciate any and all help/tips/tricks for keeping them happy and healthy and nothing i ever get told falls on deaf ears,i give anyone willing to take there time to help me my full attention.

I hope to spend many of years getting to know everyone and helping new members in the future when i am able to do so from what ive learned in the mean while.

I hope to get to know you all soon so dont be shy....say hello i dont bite to hard :p You all have a wonderful day i am off to go buy everything Homeboy could ever want in a cage. BYE!!

Hello and welcome! :)

I am a Cincinnati chameleon newbie as well!

I have purchased my first cham from Kammerflage Kreations and he is set to ship to me Wednsday night for Thursday arrival.

I am so excited!

Good luck shopping for the cage and the accessories!

Thanks Brad Bransworld and Jannb i appreciate the welcome!Homeboy should be here weds after i pay for him tonight.I will read all the care pages i can as i am very into learning all about chameleons.Im kinda ocd about that if i ever get something new or think about it i have to learn everything possible about it lol.I will keep everyone posted when i get the cage all set up and maybe someone can go over the way i set it up to give me any tips or changes you might do to it.Thanks all ill ttyl!

Thank you ibdragons i look forward to purchasing one of those beautiful females you have.

I got the cage today and supplies can someone double check to make sure what i list is what i needed?
I got a 18x18x36 reptibreeze cage
double dome light with a reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb and 100 watt heat light
i got medium crickets,superworms
flukers cricket quencher calcium fortified
flukers orange cubes for crickets
zoo med repti calcium with d3 (i read d3 in the calcium is not needed but its all they had will this be ok or should i look for plain calcium dust?)
repcal herptivite vitamins
a pump spray mister(i will buy a better misted they just didnt have one in stock at petsmart)
Some fake plants to climb on however i plan on putting real plants in there with a grow bulb on top of the tank and i plan on putting a real small 6" fan not right no the tank but behind it to get some air moving around.

If something is wrong please tell me so i can exchange it for what i need.

I was reading you can use 5 to 10 uvb depending on the height and foliage cover in the tank,that the chameleon will regulate its uv intake and move if it was getting to much.If the 10 is to much i will exchange it though.Everything else look ok?

Thank you ibdragons i look forward to purchasing one of those beautiful females you have.

I got the cage today and supplies can someone double check to make sure what i list is what i needed?
I got a 18x18x36 reptibreeze cage
double dome light with a reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb and 100 watt heat light
i got medium crickets,superworms
zoo med repti calcium with d3 (i read d3 in the calcium is not needed but its all they had will this be ok or should i look for plain calcium dust?)
repcal herptivite vitamins
a pump spray mister(i will buy a better misted they just didnt have one in stock at petsmart)
Some fake plants to climb on however i plan on putting real plants in there with a grow bulb on top of the tank and i plan on putting a real small 6" fan not right no the tank but behind it to get some air moving around.

If something is wrong please tell me so i can exchange it for what i need.

Since you already bought it you can use it, but after its gone i would never buy it again:

^^crap and a marketing gimmick. The calcium in them will actually kill off your crickets. Also, keep the cubes in the fridge, as it can build up harmful bacteria (which can also kill your crickets) -- when this is gone; fresh fruits and veggies (even just your scraps) make a better food source for keeping them alive. IE: Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, Kale, Apple, Butternut Squash, Carrots, Oranges. I often just use whatever is on sale for the cheapest (carrots are cheaaaaap)

Homeboy is actually eating large crickets and dubia, so go big next time!

Definitely get a calcium W/out D3. Excessive D3 can cause a harmful overdose. Plain calcium is the #1 product you should be dusting with. Its cheap, and you will use it the most.

I would also switch to the 5.0- if you had a 4ft cage it might not be as much of an issue, but he's on 5.0 right now... so better to be safe than sorry, right?

Will do!I will go get the 5.0 bulb tomorrow.I will try not to use much of the cricket stuff and go to the grocery and buy some fresh veggies.I will have to order some calcium dust without the d3 all petsmart had was w/d3 in every brand i seen.Thanks for the info i appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom