Heating Water Resivore

Vince

For my auto mister i use a white trash bin similar to the one i have attached to this thread. What could i do to heat this and not create a fire hazard. Ive thought about a heat pad (like the ones for our backs) underneath. But you cant buy them anymore that dont shut off in two hours. Also was thinking about one of those little heat pads that stick on the side of a aquarium. The only other thing i can think of and still use this container would be if i could find a heater that could be submerged.

I have also seen on another thread where someone used an inline heater. I dont think mist king sells one of these though. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• P11802305.jpg
    P11802305.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 95
If your water resevoir isn't pressurized, I don't know why you couldn't use a standard submersible aquarium heater?? The inline heaters are also made for aquariums. The Inline heaters are supposed to have continuous water flow through them though, for them to heat the entire resevoir of water. I don't think an inline heater would have enough contact time to heat the water much, if any.... Just going from the resevoir to the nozzles. The heat pads you stick on the side of an aquarium, dont seem to transmit heat as well through plastic(rubbermaid type), and they don't heat a volume of water very well either. I don;t think they are high enough wattage for that type of use. I'm not an expert by any means on chamelon care. I have kept fresh and saltwater aquariums for about 10 years now though.

If your water resevoir isn't pressurized, I don't know why you couldn't use a standard submersible aquarium heater??

I was thinking the same thing haha

I don't think an inline heater would have enough contact time to heat the water much, if any.... Just going from the resevoir to the nozzles.

The flow in most misting systems is low enough that these in line heaters warm the water well. They do not heat the water as much as some of us may want them to... but they do an OK job.

I want to mess around with some copper tubing and heating tape:D

I was thinking the same thing haha

The flow in most misting systems is low enough that these in line heaters warm the water well. They do not heat the water as much as some of us may want them to... but they do an OK job.

I want to mess around with some copper tubing and heating tape:D

That would be really interesting , The copper tubing and heating tape. Coil it enough and keep the pipes warm.

I use an in-line heater and the water is just like Kevin said is "warm" I use it just so the water is not as much of a shock.

Yeah that is what im looking for. My cham has places in his cage where he can get away from the mist. Therefore, if it is cold he wont go near it. I never see him drink from the leaves. Therefore, i have to make mist acceptable for him. He will only drink water from the mist as its falling.

Ive been wondering, since he only will drink from the mist should i put more nozzles in the cage so he cant get away from it or should i just try to heat it and see how it works.

So im still kind of wondering, should i make it so he cant escape the mist? Or should i just warm the water and see how much he likes it. I currently have 2 nozzles in a 23.5x23.5 is this adequate or should i put one in each corner kind of facing in? That way the whole cage would be getting mist.

I only have one nozzle pointed straight down in the middle of my guy's 4'x2'x2' cage. If he is in his basking spot he gets a bit of mist which usually provokes him to drink and he'll move closer to the nozzle. Personally I have to where he can escape the mist if he so chooses. Of course my mister comes on 4 times a day for about 5 min and the dripper runs 4 times for 10-15 min, so he has plenty of opportunity to drink.

All right i bought a submersible pump. Seems to be working great. What do you guys normally keep the temp at?

Well i'll be damned... even better! LOL what kind of nozzle or... end do you put on your dripper hose?

Adjustable dripper nozzles found in the micro-irrigation section at HomeDepot, next to the sprinkler stuff. They system was pretty easy to put together, pump on a timer, 1/2" tubing, 1/2" to 1/4" adaptor, 1/4" tubing, 1/4" barbed Ts and the adj dripper heads. Came in around $50 when it was all said and done. Just have to have sure you get a pump that will pump the water high enough.

Adjustable dripper nozzles found in the micro-irrigation section at HomeDepot, next to the sprinkler stuff. They system was pretty easy to put together, pump on a timer, 1/2" tubing, 1/2" to 1/4" adaptor, 1/4" tubing, 1/4" barbed Ts and the adj dripper heads. Came in around $50 when it was all said and done. Just have to have sure you get a pump that will pump the water high enough.

I have one of those pumps... You can get them at LLL Reptile for like 9 bucks! hehe. Do you keep your tub of water elevated? How long do you operate the drippers? What is the flow like?

All right i bought a submersible pump. Seems to be working great. What do you guys normally keep the temp at?

Crank it to max temp, you still will only get warm water. If the heater is on 24/7, your power costs will be up, and warm water grows things that can be harmful. You might want to put it on a seperate timer to heat before the misting takes place, and off after misting.:D

Crank it to max temp, you still will only get warm water. If the heater is on 24/7, your power costs will be up, and warm water grows things that can be harmful. You might want to put it on a seperate timer to heat before the misting takes place, and off after misting.:D

a submersible pump won't heat the water fast enough to provide any meaningful heat gains. Ya might as well just pour in scolding hot water before each misting if your going to operate the heater just before operating the misting system.

If he was using an inline heat, your suggestion would make a bit more sense.

Back
Top Bottom