Heating Novalsan

Syn

Avid Member
I have read a thread on another forum that they used heated (diluted) novalsan to clean their cages. I have read on several sites to keep it cool.

Are there any risks to using heated novalsan? Benefits?

I would think it would break it down somehow or be dangerous.. figured I'd ask.

What kind of heated? Like boiling heated? I imagine if it were dangerous when heated, it would become more dangerous as it got hotter.

This is all I know, "To clean them i remove them from the tank and soak them in a hot chlorhexidine solution, then rinse them off in the shower and there good to go right back in the cages."

I would assume hot means not quite boiling but warm.

When I worked in a clinic for puncture wounds on dogs we used Nolvasan diluted in hot water to to soak and do hot compresses with. I couldn't answer if you heated up strait without diluting Nolvasan what the outcome would be.

It will evaporate so that could be a major reason to keep it cool.

Interestingly I've been using this and never knew it was called Nolvasan! I got it from a local snake breeder who is also an MD. She sells it as a 2% chlorhexidine gluconate solution which I then dilute 1 ounce per gallon of water. According to her directions, you can spray the diluted solution in the cage to disinfect and don't have to rinse it off. Although for chams, I sure do rinse it off.

I have used this occasionally, but never heated. I don't really see the great advantage to heating it as it should work just fine at room temps. If you'd like, I can give you the info about the breeder and you can contact her, she may know more about heating it.

I love chlorhexadine! :) Cheap and effective! Sorry I can't help much. Maybe call your vet and see if they know?

I was just wondering to see if anyone has had experience with the stuff. My vet isn't too apt to help out over the phone, they really only see dollar signs... :rolleyes:

I think someone who works with chemicals might know a bit more.

My main thoughts was heat breaking down the Novalsan a bit. Who knows.

The only thing I have found is that it is not good to inhale. Heating, depending on temperature and if you are indoors may make inhaling the fumes more of a problem.

I had considered using it in a steam cleaner, but I can't find anything that would indicate that it would be more effective used in that manner.

Here is a link for the MSDS (material data safety sheet).

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...D4ZeKa&sig=AHIEtbS6fwKs3eZBuHtZHzsEA9Usdo3HCw

Reactions: Syn
Thanks steel! I also wondered about fumes. I will pass the sheet along as well as the fume issue.

Back
Top Bottom