Heating/Lighting help?

momabeans17

Hello, yesterday I brought home my first chameleon (a baby veiled) along with the zoo med chameleon starter kit. I got a few more plants and things, but I've been having trouble with heating.

The day blue heat bulb the kit comes with gets to 118+ degrees, which is obviously way too high. I went and got a 40w bulb, but it still got over 100 degrees. I also tried lifting the lamp up, but then the temp only got to 78 degrees. So then I put in a normal 29w house light, and it STILL got too hot.

Is there anything else I can do without getting a rheostat? I will if I have to, but I'd prefer not to.

Attachments

• 20180721_170527.jpg
    20180721_170527.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 95
Welcome to the forums! While those chameleon starter kits are convenient, they do not supply all the basics. To start, where are you measuring the temperature at within the cage & how are you measuring it?

Also, based off the picture your cage will need a tad more vines & plant coverage to make your new baby comfortable. The basking spot should be within the top fourth of the cage, I'd say, with an adequate perch.

Thank you! I'm planning on going to a nursery today to get some plants and a ficus tree.
I'm measuring with a digital thermometer on the highest perch, which is about 4 inches from the top (I'll lower it). I've changed the setup a bit since this image.

I'm worried because he'll climb along the screen top where it's really hot and just sit there.

Thank you! I'm planning on going to a nursery today to get some plants and a ficus tree.
I'm measuring with a digital thermometer on the highest perch, which is about 4 inches from the top (I'll lower it). I've changed the setup a bit since this image.

I'm worried because he'll climb along the screen top where it's really hot and just sit there.

You are smart to worry about that because that is exactly what they like to do. To get around this problem, just use something to raise the heat lamp a few inches above the top of the enclosure to be sure your cham can't get dangerously close. There are a ton of changes you need to make to the enclosure to make it habitable for a chameleon. It is a big source of concern that you got the cham and the setup the same day, without taking the time to set up your enclosure and make sure it is safe and complete first... Accordingly, pretty please, if you want to give your cham the best life possible, fill out the following form so we can help you adjust your husbandry because right now it definitely needs work.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

But even before I get those answers, here are some critical changes that need to be made:

(1) Get rid of the UVB bulb that came with that godforsaken (you will quickly learn from longtime members of the community that these kits offer hardly anything useful other than a small cage you will need to upgrade from in just a few months) chameleon kit. The kits are really just a way to trick people new to the hobby into spending money on products that they either don't need or that are bad for their chameleon. What you need instead is a linear tube style of UVB light like a reptisun 5.0 or an arcadia bulb if you have the extra money to spend. The compact bulbs they sell with the kit are very bad at distributing UVB light and are notorious for causing eye problems.

(2) Get rid of the substrate at the bottom of the enclosure. It is going to do nothing besides get sopping wet, grow mold, and become a source for a future respiratory infection or impaction if your chameleon accidentally eats any of it.

(3) For your heat bulb, the trick is really just finding the right combination of bulb wattage and distance above the basking spot. It may involve a lot of guess-and-checking, but you'll figure it out. All you need is a regular household incandescent light bulb. Do not use colored light bulbs like the blue one that came with the kit or a red one. White light only.

(4) This a really big one, from what I can see of your setup so far. You need to add many, many, many more specifically horizontal branches/vines/walkways for your chameleon to walk on. They feel comfortable when they can sit and walk parallel to the ground. The diagonally-placed sticks you have do very little good for your cham's mobility. They can't get nearly close enough to the basking spot or UVB bulb as it is currently set up, which means they cannot metabolize properly or receive the UVB thast is essential for their health. You can fasten branches and vines to the screen using things like zipties, pushpins, eyelets, etc. You are also going to want to add much more foliage in there. Chameleons need the options to hide to feel comfortable and secure, plus the additional live plants will do wonders for your humidity. Ficus, pothos, and schefflera arboricola are all good options to fill the very large amount of empty space you currently have

Back
Top Bottom