Heater bad?

golf33

Hello all,
My chameleon's cage is right next to the heater in my living room and I was wondering if it would be bad to run it at night to keep it a little warmer as it cools down more in the winter. I don't have central heating and air and the heat would not be blowing directly in to his cage but parallel to it. Should this be ok? Maybe if I cover the side of his cage with a towel to keep air from blowing in? Also, how hot would be too hot for him (6 month male panther)? Mainly I need to warm the room for my snakes a bit and would rather heat the whole room with my heater rather than go buy a space heater just for the snakes.

As long as you allow for the temp to drop some it should be ok. They need the temperatures to drop a little during night. I wouldn't heat the room to more than 68 Fahrenheit. Ideal sleeping temp if you ask me. What kind of snakes are you keeping. Most need this night time drop as well.

Blocking the cage or even better pointing the heater in another direction is a very good idea. I wouldn't allow the heated air to blow directly into the cage unless it was VERY cold in the room.

I agree with Pure. I use a space heater radiator (I find the oil filled heat radiators more efficient and less disturbing than one that blows heat) in the winter in my reptile room, so that it doesnt go below 18C / 65F (when I had young ones, the lowest temp was higher, around 20C/69F). I do have central heating in half my house (the half the reptiles are in), but I dont waste energy heating the whole house when Im asleep and under the blankets.

Back
Top Bottom