Heat tape/cable questions

CamoHerp

Was wondering if it's safe to use these products inside cage with the Cham. I'm going to updating here prob in the next 2-3 months cage size and my room temps are usually low due to running a window ac (Girlfriend likes it cold unfortunately). My room is a decent size and my Cham is on the opposite side of the room farthest from the ac. The ac doesn't usually go off at all since it isn't digital and can't set to a temp but I know when I get the bigger cage it'll be harder to keep a temp. Was wondering if the heating rope would be ok to wrap around branches and such. If so, how do these hold up with getting wet from misting or mister? Also any recommended brands? Of course only if this is ok to do.

I would not use these products they do not recognize its a heat source, they are drawn to light because it provides heat. move him from that room... barring that, i would use a very high quality combo heat/uv bulb. you can pick up a heat only bulb from a place like tractor supply... for a chicken brood. id get a 125-150watt.

Was wondering if it's safe to use these products inside cage with the Cham. I'm going to updating here prob in the next 2-3 months cage size and my room temps are usually low due to running a window ac (Girlfriend likes it cold unfortunately). My room is a decent size and my Cham is on the opposite side of the room farthest from the ac. The ac doesn't usually go off at all since it isn't digital and can't set to a temp but I know when I get the bigger cage it'll be harder to keep a temp. Was wondering if the heating rope would be ok to wrap around branches and such. If so, how do these hold up with getting wet from misting or mister? Also any recommended brands? Of course only if this is ok to do.

What are you using for a basking spot now? Chams don't require super high temps compared to many other herps, so maybe all you will need to do is use a higher watt incandescent basking bulb. Without knowing your particular room situation its hard to suggest what wattage, so you'll need to do some trials. I'd suggest trying a halogen exterior porch floodlight. The bulbs are pretty easy to get, sturdy, last a long time. and provide good warmth for the upper part of the cage. Another idea would be to wrap some plastic around the upper portion of the cage to help hold in the heat a little more. Also, if you run the AC a lot be careful to keep your cham hydrated. May need more misting.

40 watt incandescent. Room temp is normally in the 50s and the light keep bottom of the cage in the low 70s basking spot is always 85. Just know when I get a bigger cage as far as the bottom I know it'll drop into the 60s with the height difference. He like to hang on the bottom of his plants so he goes to bottom pretty often especially to sleep. I just wanna be able to keep it at a better temp at bottom and I'm not gonna wanna go much higher in watts. I figured I'd go to 60w next if needed.

Same problem a while back.

I had the problem a while back.
I used a shower curtain on three sides of the cage. also, you can add a heat mat. on the outside of the cage. Your chameleon won't recognize it as a heat source, but it will help create a 'warm' area.

Worst case, scenario I bought a mini heater from amazon, and had it partially blowing warm air at the cage. But that was when the temperature outside was below freezing.
hope this helps!

I had the problem a while back.
I used a shower curtain on three sides of the cage. also, you can add a heat mat. on the outside of the cage. Your chameleon won't recognize it as a heat source, but it will help create a 'warm' area.

Worst case, scenario I bought a mini heater from amazon, and had it partially blowing warm air at the cage. But that was when the temperature outside was below freezing.
hope this helps!

I like the idea of the mat on the outside. I already have 3 sides covered with the thick plastic tattoo artists use. Helps with the humidity and keep the water in when misting. Yea I use a mini heater now in the winter in the general area of his cage. Would rather not run a heater in spring and summer. But I do like the mat on outside. I'll prob end up doing that.

Back
Top Bottom