Heat resistant plants?

Ares05

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I have a big Pothos plant in the top corner of my cage and I have some of its vines around the edges of my basking place, along with a tiny Pothos plant in front of Amaro's food bowl so he feels safer while eating and basking. Everything in the cage is doing great except for those two places, as they are near his basking spot, and don't like the heat. They aren't dead but they are droopy and the leaves are folded up. The leaves are their normal color and don't feel dry. His basking spot is only 82-85, humidity is 30-40 during the day, and he doesn't eat them (he only eats his umbrella plant lol). I would rather just get a small heat resilient plant to put in those places rather battle with my Pothos plant.

So I have a big Pothos plant in the top corner of my cage and I have some of its vines around the edges of my basking place, along with a tiny Pothos plant in front of Amaro's food bowl so he feels safer while eating and basking. Everything in the cage is doing great except for those two places, as they are near his basking spot, and don't like the heat. They aren't dead but they are droopy and the leaves are folded up. The leaves are their normal color and don't feel dry. His basking spot is only 82-85, humidity is 30-40 during the day, and he doesn't eat them (he only eats his umbrella plant lol). I would rather just get a small heat resilient plant to put in those places rather battle with my Pothos plant.

How much have you been watering your pothos? Since they're closer to the heat source, they're likely drying up faster. I've taken to directly watering my canopy plants every couple days, and they've been much happier since!

Even if you do regular supplemental hand mistings the heat will still dry plants out very, very quickly. I have never had any success with plants near my basking spot so these days I just keep that area relatively bare of vegetation.

I've had good luck with an airplant near my basking area it's aesthetically pleasing and hasn't minded the heat so long as there is occasional mistings. (Mist king and hand)

I've had good luck with an airplant near my basking area it's aesthetically pleasing and hasn't minded the heat so long as there is occasional mistings. (Mist king and hand)
That's a great idea.
And air plants are all over the place here in south Florida

Ive got several tillandsia plants one is now over two feet in length and is putting off some pups.

You can normally find them for a few bucks but if anyone needs a pup lemme know I think they could handle a priority mail trip

20191217_140606.jpg

My pothos is doing superb. As @skoram said, I use a piece of driftwood in that section. I also use a lot of "air plants". (Top left) Though recently I've had some I didn't care for and am replacing them with these xenographica that I'm growing...

15768014251203542956730063422852.jpg

I took out a few of the mid level plants (I was using birds of paradise, but they got too tall).

For the most part, short of a cactus of some variety, any typical plant is going to dry out or scorch if its directly in the basking spot.

Well im having a bit of coccidia problem, so no live plants till its over lol. But I will look into some air plants when I properly setup his cage again in a few weeks, when hes clean of parasites.

Well im having a bit of coccidia problem, so no live plants till its over lol. But I will look into some air plants when I properly setup his cage again in a few weeks, when hes clean of parasites.
Can always start growing them now! I buy them smaller as they're cheaper... or I find them. A smaller plant is less likely to survive in a cham cage. Those xena started at about 2-3" and are well over 6". Now the problem is me deciding if I wanna put them in!

Otherwise, i have a bunch of plants that are "house plants" until i need a new one for the cham cages. I have a porch full of plants too. AND it's a build in excuse... every time i bring plants home i can say "wont this look great on the lanai by the pool?" Only to later put it in a cage, hehe!

Back
Top Bottom