Heat Question

Paulycham

Its getting warm out and that means its warm in my house. My Digital Thermometer says 98.6F, should i dim his basking light? He's usually sitting on top of his basking branch but right now he's hanging under it. Could it be to hot for him?
Thanks for the help.... Pauly

What is the temp lower in your enclosure?
He is most likely regulating himself, this is why we offer a range of temps throughout the enclosure.

What is the temp lower in your enclosure?
He is most likely regulating himself, this is why we offer a range of temps throughout the enclosure.
I dimmed the light, it went down to 85 then it went up to 90. Its 80 through the rest of the cage.

Your adjusted upper temps sound good now. But the lower part of he enclosure could be a little cooler...
You should really read the care sheet provided on this site to make sure your enclosure is just right...

image.jpeg

There is a fountain of knowledge on this forum. I am no expert, but there are many here. Basic husbandry should become second nature.

You have a nice enclosure, and you are on the right track @Blanca&aramis

A few changes I would recommend:
* loose the substrate, feeders will hide, might grow bacteria or mold, cham could ingest it trying to pick off a feeder
* you could use alot more branches and cover, especially close to the top (6-8") this gives your cham a nice range of areas to either warm up or cool down
*a nice live plant to help keep humidity up, and give the cham something to drink off of after a good misting, live plants hold the water real well on the leaves.

Just my opinion... :D

If your room gets that warm most days you could use a timer to control the basking light...let the basking light come on in the morning so your cham can warm up initially, but set the timer to switch the basking light off before midday when the room gets that warm. Leave the UV light on...it doesn't add much heat to the cage.

The reason it is keeping so warm in the bottom of the cage is because the cage is mostly glass. Only the top is screen correct? It is usually suggested to have at least the top screen and one of the sides screen unless you have a lot of ventilation through out the cage. I agree with Carlton, you can adjust pretty easily to keep your glass enclosure. But your chameleon is getting pretty big for your enclosure in general, I think you should upgrade. For a veiled chameleon the minimum size is suggested to be a 2ftx2ftx4ft enclosure.

Either lower the wattage of ur bulb or turn them off until the proper temperature reduce to the desire temperature for ur cham needs and/or work on the room temperature by increasing the cold air flow like air conditioning...etc,hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom