heat -light

budd

hi just been told not to use a all in 1 bulb and been told to use 1 not sure on this now i am useing a Arcadia D3 UV Basking Lamp 160w, all in 1 atm any thoughts on this wood be good as it was the reptile shop that told me it was the right 1 :( if i need dif lights what 1s wood be good my cham(bud) is 22 weeks old had him for a week got him vet cheeked as his last owner had him in a box with no heat the c?£$

hi just been told not to use a all in 1 bulb and been told to use 1 not sure on this now i am useing a Arcadia D3 UV Basking Lamp 160w, all in 1 atm any thoughts on this wood be good as it was the reptile shop that told me it was the right 1 :( if i need dif lights what 1s wood be good my cham(bud) is 22 weeks old had him for a week got him vet cheeked as his last owner had him in a box with no heat the c?£$

What? :confused:

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon -yemen, male, 22 weeks old . How long has it been in your care a week
• Handling – I don’t he comes to c what im doing in his cage
• Feeding – crickets, locs, 10-15 day 10 in mor and 5 in after noon if he whats them carret and greens(rocket)
• Supplements – using atm is calci-dust I use it ever other day was told
• Watering – mist his cage 2-3 times aday got a dripper on I have it going for 10mins he drinks well seen a few times now
• Fecal Description –brown and white normal . He has been when tested for parasites when i took him to vet
• History – last owner left him to die so I thought I try and give him a better live

Cage Info:
• Cage Type – Combo 3x4x2 lxhxd feet
• Lighting –arcadia d3 uva uvb all in 1 160w

• Temperature – at top cage is 83-87 bottom is is 71 night time it gos to 62 I use dig ther to read it
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels 74 How are you creating and maintaining these levels I don’t it stays like it as I mist and dip that’s all What do you use to measure humidity dig hum
• Plants - Are you using live plants yes what kind got weeping fig x2/ spider plant/grape ivy
• Placement – conner of front room/Is it near any fans no or high traffic areas ya At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor 7 foot got a 3 foot stand on bottom
• Location - Where are you geographically located UK london

Current Problem – the heat-light I was told by my reptile dealer that this light was the best for him at the time so I bought it now been reading all over the web that its to much for him(bud) and was asking what wood be better to get and were to put on top or in side things like that thanks for all the help if any thanks

I've never heard of that type of lamp so I can't necessarily comment on it's efficacy. Your tempuratures are not too high with it... I don't remember off the top of my head what temps people keep their veileds at and I'm too half asleep to check but I think high 80's is good. Is it sitting on the top of the cage? Has your chameleon been squinting or sitting in the cage with his eyes closed during the day?
Most people here use a Reptisun Linear 5.0 bulb in whatever length fits the top of the cage, and a regular incandescent lightbulb. That's what I use, I have a 24" reptisun across the top of the cage and a 60 watt incandescent bulb over my male and a 40 watt over my female.

On a side note, a good suppliment schedule is calcium dust without d3 for regular supplimentation and calcium with d3 two times a month and mutivitimins 2 times a month.

Other than that it would appear that the set up you have is pretty good.

Lol.
Anyways, I think the general issue with those all-in-one bulbs, although not familiar with that brand in particular, is that they are powerful for starters, and that especially if focused right centre over a cage, don't give much option for the chameleon to choose. If he wants to be up high, where they like to be, they're in the path of it, like it or not. If they want UVB, they have to have heat with it too. If they want heat, they have to have UVB with it too, etc. There's no options there, besides crawling down to the bottom of the cage to escape from it.
Whereas what most chameleon keepers will do, is put the linear reptisun UVB bulb across top of cage, then put a basking bulb to one side. Therefore, if the cham wants heat, he can go to the left, if he wants UVB but no heat, he can go to the right. If he wants none of either, he can go down. So he has options, can thermoregulate properly, while still staying up high where he feels comfortable & safe, etc. The reptisun bulbs are known to be the most trusted for appropriate levels of UVB output, whereas some other brands have been questionable and or known to occasionally cause eye issues. I don't know about these all-in-one bulbs for that in particular, but given their strength, they are usually recommended to be kept a certain distance away, as they are designed for larger enclosures like iguanas. I believe quite a few keepers use them in freerange areas, as there is more options to escape from the direct area of the bulb than there is in a cage.
And also, if using a combo of two bulbs rather than an all-in-one, you can adjust to whatever wattage of basking bulb you need to achieve your desired
temperatures, so you have more options there as well, which comes in handy for seasonal changes and whatnot.
Anyways, that's basically i believe why they're not usually recommended for chameleon cages. I would recommend in the future relying more on experienced advice from people here at a chameleon-specific forum than what people at a pet store recommend -and that's coming from someone who works at a pet store. :)

Reptisun 5.0 linear style UVB bulb, plus a household incandescent light bulb (usually a 60 watt will do the trick, but adjust accordingly to get the right temperature you need) in a dome fixture is the usual setup.

Back
Top Bottom