Heat light

So I have my veiled chameleon and he is new in the cage (the cage is 24x24x48) and he seems to be cold he is brown and he is at the top under his uvb light but the problem is his heat light I got a 25 W because I thought it was going to be enough but it's so cold for him i guess, my house is always around 72-74 most of the time and I have a normal house bulb that is 60w and it's a ultra soft white I was wondering if I could use that? And right mow I have him a halogen light that it is more hot than his original one and of that house bulb wont work which bulb should I get considering the temp at my house and the size of the cage

Thank you and merry Christmas

Last edited:
I live in socal and in the summer I use a 65w house bulb but swapped it out for a zoo-med 75w since it got colder here. 25w is way too low.

Since nobody has asked this yet, what are you using to measure the temps? Use a good quality thermometer or laser temp gun for accurate temp readings. measure the temp on the basking branch and adjust either the light bulb wattage or the branch height to the bulb. Do not put the branch within 6 inches of the bulb.

Regular old bulbs work perfect. Just make sure you don't burn the dude. If it's touching the screen on top i like to put some sort of spacer in between the light and the screen. I prefer the clear or blue tinted plant lights as it looks a little nicer. Good luck!

Also! Don't forget, if using a probe thermometer, make sure you measure about 3 to 4 inches above his basking spot. I've noticed a lot of people wondering why their chams are too hot and they are measuring from where there feet are on their basking spot and not their backs or veils etc. A few inches can make a lot of difference in temperature!

@Grandma-to-two I recently went back to the house bulbs for my panthers too reduce the bask temp but kept the 75w zoo med for the veiled so always just check your basking temp to see what it is instead of being concerned with bulb wattage. My locale and house temp tend to stay in the warmer region so my bulb wattage will be more consistent and lower.

@Grandma-to-two I recently went back to the house bulbs for my panthers too reduce the bask temp but kept the 75w zoo med for the veiled so always just check your basking temp to see what it is instead of being concerned with bulb wattage. My locale and house temp tend to stay in the warmer region so my bulb wattage will be more consistent and lower.
Thanks. I’m getting a carpet soon. I currently have a reg 60w soft white (can’t find anything that has the 5000k (daylight) but need to get my cage temp up about 3 or 4 degrees.

Also! Don't forget, if using a probe thermometer, make sure you measure about 3 to 4 inches above his basking spot. I've noticed a lot of people wondering why their chams are too hot and they are measuring from where there feet are on their basking spot and not their backs or veils etc. A few inches can make a lot of difference in temperature!
That’s a great point and one I would not have thought of.

Back
Top Bottom