heat lamp on top of cage?

kingjohn

hi just wondered if its ok to have the light dome thing resting on the mesh (alluminium mesh) will it get hot and burn his feet?

if not is it ok to have it resting on timber? i meen the dome edges not the bulb its self?

btw im using one of the mercury vapour bulbs

thanks in advance

john

If you are using a mercury vapor bulb, there is no way you will be able to get that bulb far enough away from the basking spot if the fixture is touching the screen.

The use of MVB's with chams is pretty heatedly debated here but the one universal conclusion that most seem to agree on is not using one unless you have a solarmeter (UV meter) to ensure the proper UV exposure.

Do what you can to stick with the tried and true fluorescents. Here in the states, we like the reptisun 5.0

ok mate thanks for that advice ill go with that, do i put a standard bulb like 80w in the dome thing then for basking? and have seperate repti sun for uv?

yes a regular incadescent house bulb for basking and a reptisun 5.0 for UVB would do the trick.

Play around with different watt house bulbs until you get the right temp at basking spot. I use a 40 watt.

Yeah get a repti sun 5.0 for uvb. Get a flourescent linear tube for plants also
with a cage your size you will need a light for the plants to grow. Then get your digi therm probe set at the basking area. And play around with a 60-75 watt incandescent to see which is going to give you the approp temp you need. Depends on how cool you keep your house as too how high a watt bulb you need.

What brand and wattage is the MV lamp? Did it come with instructions? Maybe they can give you some idea of distance..... but if you can, return the lamp and get a Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 and make the basking lamp about 6-8" from the basking spot. Then use a household lamp for heat. Place the head lamp close to the UVB lamp so the animal is exposed to both UVB and heat.

i got my ambanja today from jim at the chameleon company. i got him a reptisun 5.0 uvb light but its not the bar kind it is the the coiled looking energy efficient looking bulb. this is not the mvb you are talking about is it? ive never heard of that. just wondering. thanks

i got my ambanja today from jim at the chameleon company. i got him a reptisun 5.0 uvb light but its not the bar kind it is the the coiled looking energy efficient looking bulb. this is not the mvb you are talking about is it? ive never heard of that. just wondering. thanks

No, that is not the MVB that we are talking about. An MVB is a mercury vapor bulb that serves as an all-in-one type of bulb by providing heat, light, and UVB. The problem with it is that it tends to put out so much UVB that it is usually better left to sun-worshiping animals like uromastyx and beared dragons.

As for the coiled reptisun, I will leave my opinion out as I personally have tried to steer clear of them. In the past there were some of those bulbs that were causing major eye issues. I have heard that many of them have been fixed but I do not know enough about that to say anything conclusive.

Back
Top Bottom