Heat Lamp Help

UrbanChameleon

I need some suggestions regarding my heat lamp. I have no way of hanging it from the ceiling, and the clamp angles it too far away in the wrong spot. I need to find something that will sit the lamp just an inch or two above his basking spot. I can't think of anything that would work. Any suggestions at all would be wonderful. I'm want it to be something that will sit on top of his cage with the lamp resting on it. I've been going nuts trying to find something! :eek:

I need some suggestions regarding my heat lamp. I have no way of hanging it from the ceiling, and the clamp angles it too far away in the wrong spot. I need to find something that will sit the lamp just an inch or two above his basking spot. I can't think of anything that would work. Any suggestions at all would be wonderful. I'm want it to be something that will sit on top of his cage with the lamp resting on it. I've been going nuts trying to find something! :eek:

Post a pic of his cage set up so we can see what you're working with.

If its a deep dome I just sit it on top of the screen cage as long as the bulb doesn't touch the screen ,and if it does I put a couple of spacers made of metal or something that doesn't burn I have 8 cages that way and no problems.

Ok I'll take a pic of his cage and post when I get to my laptop.

I've had the lamp sitting on top of his cage for a while. But he's getting bigger and his back is closer to the lamp. 25 watt is too low, and 40 is perfect but I'm worried about burns now that he's growing. I'm not sure where I could get metal spacers. I looked around Lowes one day but I didn't really know what to look for.

photo-194.jpg

photo-193.jpg

photo-192.jpg

photo-191.jpg

Guessing from your pics that the terrarium is 1.5' x 1.5' (18" x 18")? I'm not much at cad drawing but maybe this would give you an idea. I thought a tripod made out of 1"x1"x12" uprights with some sort of triangle on top to hold it all together. Then clamp the light fixture to that? or make it shorter with a hole in the top piece for the light to sit on? Just a couple of ideas. Or you could make it out of flat or tubular metal ware but it would cost a few dollars more. Good luck.

Attachments

• tripod-light-brace.jpg
    tripod-light-brace.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 195
Well the easiest solution is:

A different clamp light. Goto walmart and get a 8.5 clamp work light. The wider dome vs deeper dome will emit more heat with the wider reflector.

I was running that same light fixture and it took a 40w to heat my basking spot, I picked up some 8.5 clamp lights off amazon and noticed my chams wouldnt goto the basking spot for long, and put the heat sensor on it and the air temp. was up from where it was before. So I put in a 25w and they will sit there happily now.

Just a option, or you could put a 25w in the existing light and bend the branch up closer. Because in those pictures it looks like plenty of room to raise the branch some.

I use a variety of wattages and dome reflector sizes all sitting directly on the screen with no problems with burns or anything. If you are worried about it though you could get a lamp stand that is adjustable and hangs the light over the cage, while the stand stays on the floor. They are about $30, available at many pet stores or through LLL. I would just play with the wattages and dome sizes until you find something that provides proper temps and doesn't heat the screen up too high. Best of luck.

Thank you for the replies. :)

Guessing from your pics that the terrarium is 1.5' x 1.5' (18" x 18")? I'm not much at cad drawing but maybe this would give you an idea. I thought a tripod made out of 1"x1"x12" uprights with some sort of triangle on top to hold it all together. Then clamp the light fixture to that? or make it shorter with a hole in the top piece for the light to sit on? Just a couple of ideas. Or you could make it out of flat or tubular metal ware but it would cost a few dollars more. Good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I've considered finding/making something that would clamp the lamp in the correct spot. The cage is 16x16x30. The problem with hanging the lamp, or making a contraption, is that he will be out of that cage in 2 months. He's also small for his age, and he might just throw a growth spurt my way sooner than I expect. It's surprising how complicated this is. You'd think I could find something (safe) and just plop it under the lamp to raise it. There's bound to be someone on this site that uses this method.

Well the easiest solution is:

A different clamp light. Goto walmart and get a 8.5 clamp work light. The wider dome vs deeper dome will emit more heat with the wider reflector.

I was running that same light fixture and it took a 40w to heat my basking spot, I picked up some 8.5 clamp lights off amazon and noticed my chams wouldnt goto the basking spot for long, and put the heat sensor on it and the air temp. was up from where it was before. So I put in a 25w and they will sit there happily now.

Just a option, or you could put a 25w in the existing light and bend the branch up closer. Because in those pictures it looks like plenty of room to raise the branch some.

I use a variety of wattages and dome reflector sizes all sitting directly on the screen with no problems with burns or anything. If you are worried about it though you could get a lamp stand that is adjustable and hangs the light over the cage, while the stand stays on the floor. They are about $30, available at many pet stores or through LLL. I would just play with the wattages and dome sizes until you find something that provides proper temps and doesn't heat the screen up too high. Best of luck.

I'm going to check out some different lamps too.

I've experimented with different wattages/lamps but I'm limited with this cage. I wasn't even able to set a mister nozzle on top of the cage. The heat lamp/UVB lamp take up everything. The width/length of the cage is just not enough. I feel like I'm out of options with this.

It wasn't a huge deal until summer hit. 25 watts isn't enough and 40 is too much. I will be going out of town at the end of the month, and I'm worried about it. I occasionally move the lamp throughout the day (which drives him nuts) because I'll catch him getting too hot. I hate how summer can dramatically change temps.

If you still want some help I can post some pics of my setup tomorrow. But I'll try to explain it best I can.

I have my lamp angled down on his basking perch, with the black clamping part hooked to the ceiling. This lets me suspend the lamp from the ceiling and angle down, which is a lot easier.

If you still want some help I can post some pics of my setup tomorrow. But I'll try to explain it best I can.

I have my lamp angled down on his basking perch, with the black clamping part hooked to the ceiling. This lets me suspend the lamp from the ceiling and angle down, which is a lot easier.

Yes please do! It would be much appreciated! :)

Alright here's my setup. The lamp to the left is his UVB lamp and the right is his basking.
attachment.php

Last edited:
That would be the easiest, cheapest way to go!:) However, you said you couldn't hang anything from the ceiling...:(

Thank you for posting the picture. That setup looks simple and uncomplicated. That's definitely the direction I need to go in. I could possibly make something coming off of the wall. Hmm..

The main thing is that hanging from the wall/ceiling will be pointless in 2 months, and just leave holes in the wall. I was able to screw with the clamp a little bit, but it's still not quite right. He is not happy about it either. With the lamp at an angle, half of his cage isn't lit up. It confuses him into thinking its the late afternoon. I also caught him crawling on the ceiling of his cage to get heat (which he's never done). He was acting like a crack addict. The basking spot is lower than he's used to temp wise. I feel like I'm at a loss with this. It's either too hot or too cold for him. I NEED to find the middle ground, without burn concerns.

If anyone thinks of something please post. In the meantime I'm going to be screwing with different bulbs and lamps. I highly doubt I'm going to figure this one out. :(

I bought lamp dimmers from home depot for 10 bucks, it plugs in, then the clamp lamp plugs into the dimmer. A little controller let's me set how hot I need it to.

Hello =)

My idea may seem silly, however it would be a no cost, temporary solution. In your first post you said you were looking for just an inch or two of lift.

Have any spare forks?

Attachments

• 2012-07-07 12.17.03.jpg
    2012-07-07 12.17.03.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 236
  • 2012-07-07 12.18.04.jpg
    2012-07-07 12.18.04.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 203
Im pretty sure it doesn't work with mercury vapour bulbs, But regular light bulbs it works with just fine. And as for actual fixtures I haven't found one it doesn't work with.

Thank you for posting the picture. That setup looks simple and uncomplicated. That's definitely the direction I need to go in. I could possibly make something coming off of the wall. Hmm..

The main thing is that hanging from the wall/ceiling will be pointless in 2 months, and just leave holes in the wall. I was able to screw with the clamp a little bit, but it's still not quite right. He is not happy about it either. With the lamp at an angle, half of his cage isn't lit up. It confuses him into thinking its the late afternoon. I also caught him crawling on the ceiling of his cage to get heat (which he's never done). He was acting like a crack addict. The basking spot is lower than he's used to temp wise. I feel like I'm at a loss with this. It's either too hot or too cold for him. I NEED to find the middle ground, without burn concerns.

If anyone thinks of something please post. In the meantime I'm going to be screwing with different bulbs and lamps. I highly doubt I'm going to figure this one out. :(

Well if you are not focusing the light into one corner you will need to put plants, etc. around it so it does not overheat the rest of the cage. Holes are fixable in the walls and ceilings with plaster and paint ;)

Back
Top Bottom