Heat lamp help.

Robyn.lux

Hey guys.
I have the exoterra 90x45x90 aka, extra large extra tall.
I have only one heat lamp (ceramic 150w). Does anyone else have this enclosure? Would it be beneficial to have another heat lamp? So it's one on both sides of the enclosure? The temperature seems to gradient across the viv as well as down. Or is it better to just have the one basking spot and leave the rest as is?

150 watt is a lot of heat. Especially in a glass cage. Chams need heat at the top (varies per species) and pretty cool in the rest of the cage. You probably need more like a 75 watt incandescent. He careful... Not a 75 watt equivalent. Old style light bulbs that are obsolete. Can be hard to find in the US where they tried to ban them a few years ago.

Anyway, a no on the second bulb. Your cham will come to heat in the morning and likely hide from it as the day goes on.

150 watt is a lot of heat. Especially in a glass cage. Chams need heat at the top (varies per species) and pretty cool in the rest of the cage. You probably need more like a 75 watt incandescent. He careful... Not a 75 watt equivalent. Old style light bulbs that are obsolete. Can be hard to find in the US where they tried to ban them a few years ago.

Anyway, a no on the second bulb. Your cham will come to heat in the morning and likely hide from it as the day goes on.

Oki poki, thank you. It is a strong lamp but it keeps his temperature levels bang on all the way through the viv. I have it hanging slightly above his basking spot so it's not pressed onto the mesh. Seems to work well. It is a massive viv to be fair.

150 Watt is going to be waaaaaaaay to much heat and it being ceramic it also doesn't offer any light...

I got my panther under 70Watt incandescent, make sure he can't touch the lamp or the fixture since it can burn him, ideally you want to have it elevated over the top of the enclosure, not standing on the mesh where it will create a hotspot on the mesh where he can potentially burn himself.

150 Watt is going to be waaaaaaaay to much heat and it being ceramic it also doesn't offer any light...

I got my panther under 70Watt incandescent, make sure he can't touch the lamp or the fixture since it can burn him, ideally you want to have it elevated over the top of the enclosure, not standing on the mesh where it will create a hotspot on the mesh where he can potentially burn himself.

Hey, I have it hanging from a proper fixture above the mesh. The enclosure is massive and it is hooked up to a pulse temperature controller, so it never goes above the temp I've set. I also have 3 probes monitoring the heat for me. Eventually I am going to upgrade a few things such as his UVB from t8 to a t5, so he does get light from that. I've only just learned that t5 is way better but I've only had him two and half weeks and his set up and him has cost me in the region of £1000 so I need to recoup before I can get any upgrades done.
I don't think a 75w incandescent bulb would be enough to keep his ambient temperature where it needs to be in this beast of a viv. Or do you have this viv?

Oki poki, thank you. It is a strong lamp but it keeps his temperature levels bang on all the way through the viv. I have it hanging slightly above his basking spot so it's not pressed onto the mesh. Seems to work well. It is a massive viv to be fair.
You don't want heat throughout. Lower temps (like 70F.) Are needed away from the spot.

You don't want heat throughout. Lower temps (like 70F.) Are needed away from the spot.

They are. I have three probes that tell me the temps. It gradients down and across. I have it on a pulse controller as well so it never goes above a certain temperature. I'm happy with the set up and confident his temps are correct. The only bit I was not confident with was if it needed to have the entire top level of the enclosure with heat. Which it doesn't ^.^ so I am happy at that.

Hey, I have it hanging from a proper fixture above the mesh. The enclosure is massive and it is hooked up to a pulse temperature controller, so it never goes above the temp I've set. I also have 3 probes monitoring the heat for me. Eventually I am going to upgrade a few things such as his UVB from t8 to a t5, so he does get light from that. I've only just learned that t5 is way better but I've only had him two and half weeks and his set up and him has cost me in the region of £1000 so I need to recoup before I can get any upgrades done.
I don't think a 75w incandescent bulb would be enough to keep his ambient temperature where it needs to be in this beast of a viv. Or do you have this viv?
My panther enclosure is 200cm x 56cm x 150cm (w x d x h), I've chosen to go with 2 baskingspots instead of 1 for this reason. I have no temperature controller at all, if I wonder about temperature I use my trusty IR temp gun and measure it where I want...

It's nice to see you're willing to spend that much money on your animal but I think you could have had a good setup spending quite a bit less than that.
I think T5 HO will be a worthwhile upgrade because of the better range, it also gives prettier light and since its EVSA it doesn't flicker on power on... I went T8 too at first but changed it to T5 pretty soon after, no regrets here.

Here's my viv:
y4mRbV9RISaGIlRq75WcdGY-qTohotjk8baTj9rb6HdA5aKiAORsahG2ckmsk8zPD3mY0YNYWMd8m7JN3FYl4MlBwlX6xtcqsEVPlQMJuMY0RN1_gbepEkgpkB5Bzui-u686To9mD-FSEDS-rHZrw99g2PdH2T5Mjts6Y45uHruy9ofCyhT3OUHygWvTGt55HFB

My panther enclosure is 200cm x 56cm x 150cm (w x d x h), I've chosen to go with 2 baskingspots instead of 1 for this reason. I have no temperature controller at all, if I wonder about temperature I use my trusty IR temp gun and measure it where I want...

It's nice to see you're willing to spend that much money on your animal but I think you could have had a good setup spending quite a bit less than that.
I think T5 HO will be a worthwhile upgrade because of the better range, it also gives prettier light and since its EVSA it doesn't flicker on power on... I went T8 too at first but changed it to T5 pretty soon after, no regrets here.

Here's my viv:
y4mRbV9RISaGIlRq75WcdGY-qTohotjk8baTj9rb6HdA5aKiAORsahG2ckmsk8zPD3mY0YNYWMd8m7JN3FYl4MlBwlX6xtcqsEVPlQMJuMY0RN1_gbepEkgpkB5Bzui-u686To9mD-FSEDS-rHZrw99g2PdH2T5Mjts6Y45uHruy9ofCyhT3OUHygWvTGt55HFB

Wow, that's incredible!!! I agree I probably could've got a set up cheaper but I just got it all at the same place. It really did cost me a damn fortune. I'm sure they saw me coming from a mile away. But, it's done now and I don't regret it but I know in future. T5 will be happening but first I'm taking him to the vets for a general check up. Just cause, I wanna know.

Back
Top Bottom