heat bulb

Jewel

The heat bulbs are so expensive at the pet store $11.99 for a 150w so went to TSC and they have a heat bulb for $8.99 for 175w which is a better bulb because it is thicker. My question is, is there a cheaper way of purchasing bulbs? I was wondering if something like a flood bulb would give off a lot of heat or am I better to stick with the heat bulbs. Thanx.

halogen

I use a halogen, they are very powerful lights and have to be used carefully. They give off lots of heat and also last ALOT longer then standard heat bulbs.

otherwise get a regular spotlight at a hardware store. i even know of ppl who use regular bulbs. i use a coiled fluorescent in my geckos cage just for photoperiodism and that provides a little heat also. if your looking for heat then i suggest getting either a regular bulb or a cheap spotlight.

Hi Jewel,

175 watts is pretty high. Have you checked the temps under that to make sure your chameleon isn't going to scorch? I use 60 watt halogen lights for my heat lamps, but have used regular househould light bulbs as well. Both worked, but I like the light of the halogens better. They are around three and a half dollars each at Wal-mart.

Heika

Hi Jewel,

175 watts is pretty high. Have you checked the temps under that to make sure your chameleon isn't going to scorch? I use 60 watt halogen lights for my heat lamps, but have used regular househould light bulbs as well. Both worked, but I like the light of the halogens better. They are around three and a half dollars each at Wal-mart.

Heika

My basking spot is 90 to 95, depending on the day, we live in Canada and it is freezing outside so I need one this large to achieve the temps I am looking for.
As for the halogen bulbs, I had no idea how hot they got because I have never used one so I picked up a 90w flood light and put it in a empty cage so I could test it and oh my god, within a minute it was up to 127 degrees :eek: so I turned it off and I think I will go and buy several small bulbs and experiment with them to achieve the proper temp.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Hi Jewel,

Heika
do you have a picture of the halogen lightbulbs? i would like to see what kind they are. i already know halogens generate lots of heat but i didnt know people use them for chameleons.
what kind of reflector do you use with halogens?

do you have a picture of the halogen lightbulbs? i would like to see what kind they are. i already know halogens generate lots of heat but i didnt know people use them for chameleons.
what kind of reflector do you use with halogens?
Here is a picture of the bulb and the package. They are just plain halogen flood lights I purchased a Walmart. I use a the bulb holder with a ceramic holder that I purchased at the pet store. Keep in mind that this wattage is way to strong, I am going to try a 40 or 50watt.
IMG_4863.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom