Heat bulb wattage

DaveF

I was after a new heat bulb for my gbbb panther and was wondering if anybody had any good suggestions I'm currently using a ceramic heat bulb on a habistat thermostat but was looking to change things up with less wires
Thanks for all the suggestions before hand

Hi I don't believe that there is a one size fits all I currently use a 75 watt halogen but keep a 35,50,and a100.but I also have a exoterra light bracket which I can move up or down to obtain my desired temp

I'm only looking because my thermostat is a dimming one so my temp is fluctuating all the time, I also have the light bracket to raise the bulb to where I want it ill try a 65w bulb and go from there I think

This is the bulb I use. What is your thermostat. Your probe needs to be properly placed also so your cham doesn't block it and your temps be off

Attachments

• 20210403_210953.jpg
    20210403_210953.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 75
Finding the correct basking bulb is one of the most difficult pieces of lighting to explain because there are so many variables... Distance from basking sire, angle, type & heat loss of enclosure, ambient temperature, type & wattage of bulb...

For everyone, it's a matter of trial & error. IF your ambient room temperature is in the low 70s, 75W may be a good place to start, but depending on the other variables, you may have to move up or down in wattage or type of bulb.

The types of bulb—in order of preference—are (IMO):
  1. No LEDs
  2. Incandescent household bulb
  3. Incandescent flood light (NOT spot)
  4. Halogen flood light (NOT spot)
  5. Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE, which can be used in conjunction with an LED)
Basking bulbs should be mounted at an angle to the basking site. This will provide an ellipse rather than a circle, which inherently produces a gradient of temperatures rather than a constant. The gradient allows for the [reptile] to seek the temperature it desires, and helps make up for small fluctuations in some of the other variables. ;)

Well I guess I'm gonna have to try a 75 and a 100w and wich ever works ill stick to tha ks for all the info

Hello. I have a female veiled chameleon that I estimate to be about 3-4 months old. Right now she has a 100 watt heating bulb that I think is definitely to warm. I went into the pet store we got her at today and her brother was still there. He looked to be about a half an inch longer than her. I am wondering if the heat bulb I have right now is possibly stunting her growth. I do have a back up 60 watt bulb. Do you recommend putting in the 60 watt or possibly getting a 75. Do you think the fact that he’s a male and she is a female factors into this. The ambient temperature in her cage is about 79 degrees.

Hello. I have a female veiled chameleon that I estimate to be about 3-4 months old. Right now she has a 100 watt heating bulb that I think is definitely to warm. I went into the pet store we got her at today and her brother was still there. He looked to be about a half an inch longer than her. I am wondering if the heat bulb I have right now is possibly stunting her growth. I do have a back up 60 watt bulb. Do you recommend putting in the 60 watt or possibly getting a 75. Do you think the fact that he’s a male and she is a female factors into this. The ambient temperature in her cage is about 79 degrees.
I would agree that your temps are too hot. You want a basking temp of 80F so I would suggest trying the 60W bulb. There are a few different reasons why your cham is a bit smaller than her brother which could be because they may have been cohabitated, may have had improper care, and that females are naturally smaller than males. I would STRONGLY encourage you to start a new thread and answer the questions found here to have someone go over your care: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

In the meantime, check out this video on how to properly set up a chameleon enclosure:

Hi @DaveF when you say fluctuating temps by how much? Did you move your probe? Are there any drafts that maybe directing your heat away from basking?

[/
Welcome to the forum! It would be best if you start you own thread with your questions because when you have two separate people asking questions it gets confusing. We’re more than happy to help but just please start your own thread.

Your ambient 79 seems high, but it has to be balanced with basking temperature range and temps at other levels in the enclosure.

What is the temperature range at her basking spot, and how are you measuring it?
That's the best way to tell what we're talking about.

As mentioned above, this is always a matter of trial & error (and possible occasional tweaking).
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/heat-bulb-wattage.182017/#post-1658414

There are a lot of variables contributing to size & growth rate, but I've never heard of warmth stunting growth. One hatchling may start out with an initial growth spurt; another may get a spurt weeks later—they're all different.

Your ambient 79 seems high, but it has to be balanced with basking temperature range and temps at other levels in the enclosure.

What is the temperature range at her basking spot, and how are you measuring it?
That's the best way to tell what we're talking about.

As mentioned above, this is always a matter of trial & error (and possible occasional tweaking).
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/heat-bulb-wattage.182017/#post-1658414

There are a lot of variables contributing to size & growth rate, but I've never heard of warmth stunting growth. One hatchling may start out with an initial growth spurt; another may get a spurt weeks later—they're all different.
I put the 60 watt bulb in her cage. Her basking spot is now around 82 degrees(measured with probe thermometer) and the temperature through out the top of her enclosure is 74 degrees. The bottom is 71. Is this ok? Should I make any more adjustments?

Back
Top Bottom