Healthy Weight

Simon1986

Hey guys and girls

I'm in need of some advise.

My 2 chameleons particularly my lady have just come out of a hunger strike and she has lost a fair bit of weight and my little guy has a bit to but they're both eating again which is a missive relief.

Here is the thing the vet said to get digital scales to monitor their weights which I have been doing weekly. But I'm wondering what a healthy weight for a 8-9 month female and a 4-5 month male is?

Thanks

Sorry yemens are all over the place. Adult males can top out at 250 grams all the way up to monsters weighing a killo. And their growth is sporadic.

My advice is make sure they are gaining at least about 2 grams a week till 1 year old. That is a good rule of thumb

Here are the weight records of my veileds around that age. Luie was a PetSmart veiled and Camille came from a forums member.

Luie Male Veiled

5 months old: 37 grams
Six Months old: 44 grams
Seven months old: 56 grams
Eight months old: 88 grams
One year old: 140 grams
17 months old: 188 grams
18 months old: 200 grams

Camille Female Veiled

5 months old: 81 grams
6 months old: 99 grams
7 months old: 116 grams
8 months old: 125 grams
9 months old: 140 grams
10 months old: 158 grams
11 months old: 159 grams
One year old: 157 grams
13 months old: 174 grams
14 months old: 188 grams (laid infertile clutch)
14 ½ months: 146 grams
15 months old: 155 grams

Last edited:
Healthy Weights TYPO????

Here are the weight records of my veileds around that age.

Luie Male Veiled

5 months old: 37 grams
Six Months old: 44 grams
Seven months old: 56 grams
Eight months old: 88 grams
One year old: 140 grams
17 months old: 188 grams
18 months old: 200 grams

Camille Female Veiled

5 months old: 81 grams
6 months old: 99 grams
7 months old: 116 grams
8 months old: 125 grams
9 months old: 140 grams
10 months old: 158 grams
11 months old: 159 grams
One year old: 157 grams
13 months old: 174 grams
14 months old: 188 grams (laid infertile clutch)
14 ½ months: 146 grams
15 months old: 155 grams

On the weights on the 1 YO FEMALE, is that correct? Do you mean 167grams?

:( My male veiled is 1 year and 5 months old, but only 132grams. He sheds every 3 months or so and I seen the vet just 3 weeks ago and he was pleased with his weight?! He is 15" in length so far.

I'm a little concerned now. He doesn't have the biggest of appetite, but he drinks well, his food is dusted, insects are gut-loaded, temps and humidity are perfect etc etc. What could be causing his smallness? I always thought he was normal until now.

Chameleons are like people! Lots of sizes, with one not necessarily more healthy than another. Some adult panthers are 250 grams, but both of my current males have never weighed more than 130 grams, and that's not a problem. They're normal in size, just not huge.

A good tip is to regularly check your chameleon for parasites, which could affect their size/weight. But if everything is fine then it's probably just how they are.

Olimpia is right they come in all sizes and that's completely normal along as they are healthy and parasite free. I would say Luie was about mid size for a veiled. I've seen one over 300 grams. Camille was a big female. My female veiled Sadie is 18 months old and weighs 128 grams. I'd say that's more midsize.

Nikkii, it could have been 167....I just did a copy/paste from my computer. It's possible I could have typed it in wrong originally. ;)

Back
Top Bottom