Healthy Female Veiled Chameleon weight?

Ferrah88

So I just got back from the vet with Yuki, we had some X-Rays done to see whether or not she had eggs, just in case. Also wanted to make sure her bones were fine without signs of MBD, even if she's always getting her calcium etc. Can't hurt, right?

Everything went awesomely. She has no eggs, despite being 1 year and 4-5ish months old, which makes me happy! :D I also got her weighed and was wondering if she has a healthy weight? She weighs 137 grams :) I don't have any chameleons I can compare her with, but does this seem healthy? She kinda looks like she has "fat legs", but I's probably just being biased because Marimo doesn't have fat legs (likely because he's not a veiled).

Any input would be appreciated! :)

Glad to hear that the check up went well. My female Camille weighed from 130 to 140 depending on how much I gave her to eat and the type of feeders. Worms put allot of weight on her. If you post some photos of Yuki we will be able to tell if she looks fat or not. :)

Glad to hear that the check up went well. My female Camille weighed from 130 to 140 depending on how much I gave her to eat and the type of feeders. Worms put allot of weight on her. If you post some photos of Yuki we will be able to tell if she looks fat or not. :)

Everyone at the vet loved her. They don't handle exotic reptiles at all, so I wouldn't be able to bring her there if she got ill, but it's still more than enough for X-Rays and fecal tests. It's also local, so easier for us to reach for something so small. Apparently she smiled while getting her X-Ray too! I think she was trying to bite the vet, but everyone seemed to like her X-Rays.

I very rarely feed her worms, when when I do it's rose beetle larvae :D She loves those fat worms. Have to cut their mouth mouth parts off though, since they look like they could really bite hard.

1 sometimes 2 times a week she gets fed. Usually a mixture of crickets, grasshoppers and roaches, gutloaded of course and calcium/vitamin/d3ified depending on the week. If I have phoenix worms she'll get some of those, but they're kinda small for her so I don't buy them often (Marimo wouldn't touch them at all). When I have some of her favourite fruits and veggies at home, she gets a bit of those too!

I'll post some pictures when I get home and TRY to get some measurements... but she usually doesn't do anything other then puff out and ball up when I try to measure her, which makes it fairly difficult to get proper measurements!

::EDIT::
Here's a recent post with some pictures of her (and Marimo too) https://www.chameleonforums.com/yukis-veiled-marimos-elliots-new-pictures-126504/
Now you can easily see why I think she might be fat :D Her legs just look really stocky, not sure if that's how they should be or not!

Here's another picture I just took:

2cxggeu.jpg

She's puffed up and full of air at me being in her domain to take the picture though! You can see her legs well at least.

Yes she looks just like mine. Thanks makes me feel better. I was so worried that she had eggs and was egg bound. She is very pretty. :)

Such a beautiful little lady! She does look a bit chubby and might need a few less feeders. :D

I feel like I would be starving her if I gave her any less though! 3-4 roaches a week or some crickets and flies (not a whole lot). I just feel like I don't feed her at all :eek:

How much should I be feeding her a week? :)

I feel like I would be starving her if I gave her any less though! 3-4 roaches a week or some crickets and flies (not a whole lot). I just feel like I don't feed her at all :eek:

How much should I be feeding her a week? :)

If the roaches are small that sounds about right. I feed all adult females 3 times a week 3 to 5 feeders depending on the size and type of feeder.

The roaches are fully grown dubias which are larger than your average adult cricket. I think 1 roach = 2 female adult brown crickets (males tend to be a tad smaller). Doesn't seem like a lot to me, and yet she has fat legs :D

This week she's had some flies to provide her with Vit. A for her Vit. A deficiency (which has magically cleared up a couple of hours after providing her with the vitamins) and 2 fat rose beetle larvae. I also gave her a very small mealworm that Ryuu didn't want to eat. For fruits she had 2 blueberries and a small sliver of orange.

That#s about the extent to which I feed her a week in order to prevent her from producing any eggs, which has worked so far. Maybe she's just big boned? :D

Back
Top Bottom