Health

I was told to get the vermiculite by the pet shop owner, I also asked the vet and she said it was OK. I was afraid to get sand, 'cause I read some where that it can get in their eyes. It seems many of you use sand and have no problem, Im willing to give it a try.

Are you sure, that you may not have been possibly mestaken that the pet shop owner didn't suggest the vermicultie for incutbating the eggs, and not laying them?

I personally use a mix of sand, soil, and cocofiber. In about a equil mix I find it gives the best moisture as well as firmness and tunnelling stability.

Lori, there are some sands that can cause problems if ingested, but any washed sandbox sand should be okay. The one I have told you about in a previous post I have used for years and had necropsies done on the chameleons when they died and it never caused impaction or infection in any chameleons I've used it with. It passes right through them.

The ones that I had that caused problems where not washed types, but intended for mixing with cement, etc. and they caused infections in the glands in the corners of the mouth of the chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom