Health problems ?

LVDealer

Hey guys! I'm a really new chameleon owner, and I love my little guy a lot! Unfortunately, I think that he may have a problem. About two days ago I saw my chameleon in the morning with two patches on either side of him that was bright in color. The rest of his body was dark. It was the same later on in the day when he was a normal blue and green. it stayed that way all day, but was gone the next day. Then earlier today I saw him drooling after drinking some water, and a few moments later I saw water dripping out of his nose while he was drinking water.

My chameleon was one year old when I bought him, and I've had him for about 4 months. He's got the proper lights, the T5 and heat lamp. Plus a HUGE cage that I custom built for him. Two big plants, and a small one. Also has a mister system, too. I try to feed him every other day, although I do spoil him on off days a little. I try to mix up his diet, but he won't touch roaches. So that's what's I'm dealing with. Any thoughts ?

And fill out the health form please:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I took the photo before I put the 3rd plant in the cage.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 151
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Nosey Be Panther, Male, 1 year, owned him for 4 months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not every day. But he does hang out with me a lot when he does.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets, Super worms, Goliath worms. 12 insects mixed every other day. I use Miner-All
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Miner-All
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Mister, 7 times a day for about 10 seconds.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never tested, Starts white, wet, brown, and ends with what looks like a white booger.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought at a convention from a seller from out of state.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Pictures are attached, Screen, 3ft long, 2ft wide, 4ft tall.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I forget, but a T5 bulb and a heat lamp. It came with a set up from the convention.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 75-80F Lowest overnight is probably 70F.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? About 30%
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Benjamin Hibiscus, and another hibiscus bought at Home Depot.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In my bedroom. Little to no traffic other than myself.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Las Vegas, NV

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 113
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Nosey Be Panther, Male, 1 year, owned him for 4 months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not every day. But he does hang out with me a lot when he does.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets, Super worms, Goliath worms. 12 insects mixed every other day. I use Miner-All
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Miner-All
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Mister, 7 times a day for about 10 seconds.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never tested, Starts white, wet, brown, and ends with what looks like a white booger.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought at a convention from a seller from out of state.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Pictures are attached, Screen, 3ft long, 2ft wide, 4ft tall.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I forget, but a T5 bulb and a heat lamp. It came with a set up from the convention.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 75-80F Lowest overnight is probably 70F.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? About 30%
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Benjamin Hibiscus, and another hibiscus bought at Home Depot.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In my bedroom. Little to no traffic other than myself.
It looks like you have a compact bulb for your UVB. If so, you’ll want to invest in a T5 HO linear bulb. The compact bulb is no good. In the Miner All without D3?If so, are you supplementing D3? I would mist less times for longer durations.

The Miner-All does have D3, and I don't remember which T5 I have, but it is a T5 bulb.
I don’t know much about the Miners All but I think you need a multivitamin twice monthly along with that. If it’s the compact bulb, look into getting the liner fluorescent bulb.

He did just recently shed. Maybe 3 days ago. He's drinking water off of the leaves.
Recent shed might explain the colors your seeing. Have you noticed any other issues with drooling or spitting up water before or after the last incident? How’s he doing now?

Somehow I missed this thread...are you still having trouble?

You said..."I saw him drooling after drinking some water, and a few moments later I saw water dripping out of his nose while he was drinking water"...this happens sometimes if they take on too much water at once.

Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets, Super worms, Goliath worms. 12 insects mixed every other day. I use Miner-All why do you feed/gutload the insects with?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Miner-All it's recommended that you use a phos free calcium powder lightly at all feedings but 4 a month. On 2 of those days, two weeks apart, it's recommended that you use a phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly...and the other 2 days every second week, it's recommended that you use a vitamin powder with a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A, lightly dusted on the insects. This leaves it up to you to decide if/when your chameleon needs some prEformed vitamin A.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Mister, 7 times a day for about 10 seconds. it would be good to add a dripper that drips at the rate of one or two drips per second.

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I forget, but a T5 bulb and a heat lamp. It came with a set up from the convention. the most recommended UVB light I the reptisun 5.0 long linear tube light. For basking it's recommended to use a regular incandescent household bulb of a wattage that produces the right basking temperature. No lights on at night at all.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 75-80F Lowest overnight is probably 70F. basking temperature should be in the mid to high 80's F. Test to make sure he won't get burned.

He is a nice looking fellow! You ask a question on this forum and you get responses to many questions you didn't know you had, so...

The Miner-all indoor has 4,400 IU of vitamin D3 (as well as calcium and trace minerals). So, that doesn't seem right for daily feeding. They make a Miner-all outdoor that does not have vitamin D. I ordered the outdoor but they sent me the indoor. Trying to return but no response yet- boo.
I was told by the breeder of our panther to use the miner-all outdoor only twice per week and that is on top of the 6 days per week calcium with no D; the every 14th day multivitamin (ZooMed's reptivite) and every 14th day calcium with D.

You didn't mention what you are gut loading your insects with? See attached from the resource section of this forum.

For consideration on your enclosure set up: https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-the-chameleon-cage/ ***very helpful***

Recommended to wash the plants with soap and water and re-pot; put rocks that are too big for him to swallow on top of the soil so he doesn't accidentally ingest soil.

Can you put a pic of your linear fixture? It looks like it might be a bit short for the nice size enclosure. What bulbs do you have in the double dome fixture and is that the intended basking spot?

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload-3.jpg
    chameleon-gutload-3.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 72
Haven't seen him drool. Just scratching and it seems like he's doing it every day. That spot went away, too. I'm gut loading the insects with carrots or strawberries.

Back
Top Bottom