Health Problem. Not sure exactly. please help

fullspectrum

Health Problem. Closing eyes and acting Lathargic. Please Help

Chameleon info:
Ambilobe Panther Chameleon .Male. from chameleonsonly.com
1 year and 6 months old. i got him at 3 months old
Handled more than once a day at this point to keep him moving.
Feeding: up to 8 1/2" crickets a day.
I use armstrong crickets 1000 pack delivered every 3 weeks.
The feeders are fed kale, potatos, orange peels, and oat meal. Cleaned out when any of the food gets old, and about to mold.
dusted with Rep-Cal calcium with VIT.D3 4 times a week
I Mist his eyes about 2 times a day and his cage and plants about 4 times a day for 5 minutes until the cage is soaked. All with distilled water in from a jug. He drinks everytime he knows water is there.
Fecal Description: one white piece, one dark brown piece, and one larger light brown piece. The vet didnt think it was a parasite.

Cage info:
dimensions: 2ft x 2ft x 3ft
lights: reptisun 5.0 UVB flourscent and Zoo med basking spot lamp 75 watt
using two live, umbrella plants
paper towl floor
mesh screen cage
Thermometer reads 73 in the cage and about 82 under the basking light.
Humidity is kept around 70 to 80%
The cage has always been located at the front of the house in front of a window. Not really any distractions to stress him.
The cage's top is about 3 feet from the ground.
Jacksonville Florida

Current Problem:
My Cham has developed these growths on his body that seem to be bursting through the skin. As well as, one growing on his left eye and puss developing in each eye off and on. He has continued to eat and drink throught all of this.
I first noticed about 4 of these bumps in June 2011 and decided to take him to the best vet i heard of for reptiles, and it was Dr. Rossi from riverside Jacksonville Florida in July. He took a fecal sample and found worms. He was then treated orally for worms. I dont remember why but he didnt think it was a parastie, so he cut off a growth to test it for a fungus. The results were negative (10 days later). I recieved Ofloxacin eye drops, an anti biotic mixture called Enrofloxacin to feed orally once every other day, and was told to find an anti-bacterial cream for his bumps on his body.

He loved the anit boitic and it was easy to give him. However, he responded horribly to the eye drops. His eyes got worse and crusted up badly. I called Dr Rossi and he had me come back for a different eye dropper called Dexamethasone (Amikacin .5cc Dexamethasone .5cc Saline 29cc) is what it said on the lable and to give him 2 drops in each eye a day. This cleared his eyes up almost instantly. His eyes were better looking but they were still irritating him daily. He rubs his eyes against things in the cage when they bother him.

In august my friend suggested that i use distilled water instead of my tap water. This made the biggest difference of anything. He started shedding on the spots/growths and became much more active.

For the last 2 and 1/2 weeks he has been acting more lathargic, turning darker colors, eyes are purple, and he just isn't acting normal. I called the vet back a week ago to get the names of all the medication and he offered to send a prescription to a pharmacy near me. Called (Neomycin and Polymysin B, Sulfates and Dexamethasone, Ophthalmic Ointment). Over the phone i thought this was for his bumps. But it says apply in each eye two times a day. When i finally put some in his eyes they were irrated but cleared up within minutes. Now i have been giving him this everyday in his eyes, the anti biotic every other day, and the anti bacterial cream every other day for the bumps. The spots on his body and his eyes are the same color of purple.

He has been dealing with this health problem since june 2011. I took him to the vet in July 2011. He is now much more lathargic than ever and he stays darker colors. Please help if you have any suggestions.

Attachments

• 102_0246.jpg
    102_0246.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 102_0242.jpg
    102_0242.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 102_0243.jpg
    102_0243.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 151
I am not seeing any strange bumps or growths. anyway you can photoshop and arrow to them?

His eyes also are not showing to me any signs of needing any eye drops. we are quick to treat sometimes and we end up adding or causing new problems.

about your care.

supplements: You are currently using calcium with d3 a little to often. To much d3 in the body can cause some serious conditions. I recommend you to start using plain phos free calcium every feeding and a product like Reptivite twice a month.

Lighting: How old is your uvb light?

Gut loading: If these growth were caused from your cities water and changing to bottled helped his condition. I would look into adding ingredients into your gutload that contain vitamin E.

Thank you for your response. I hear you on the calcium. I will kick it back to 3 times a week. But i am using the phosphorous free rep cal calcium powder. Forgot to add the phosphorous free part. The spots are hard to see now because he his so dark. One is right above his shoulder on his left arm shown in the close up picture where he is looking up. His eyes have just been cleared out by using that medicine. Probably 30 minutes before taking those pictures. Ill put a couple older ones to show what the spots looked like. thanks

I couldnt get the older photos to load because i had already loaded them in an older post on the same topic.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/please-help-me-if-you-can-my-panther-chameleon-needs-help-63146/

i remember him now. did the vet ever determine if it is viral, bacterial, fungus or some sort of skin disorder?

When i spoke to the vet last week, the Dr said that Nesta had responded negative to a fungus and i believe he might of said bacterial, and viral too, but I could be wrong. I'll give them a call this coming week and tell them how he responded to the new medication and ask if he thinks it could be viral, bacterial, or a skin disorder.

I forgot to mention in the original post that his eyes and growths look much better than before. However, now what grabs my attention more than anything is behavior. He will eat when he see's the cricket (out of my hand usually), but just doesn't want to move much all throughout the day. His slow movement and the purple color he is staying for most the day are whats concerning me most.

sorry he is not doing so well and i also have no options for you. keep us updated if you would please.

Thank you for your response. I hear you on the calcium. I will kick it back to 3 times a week. But i am using the phosphorous free rep cal calcium powder. Forgot to add the phosphorous free part.
If it has D3 it is still too much. They should get calcium w/o D3 every feeding and with D3 twice a month.

forgive me, I am just talking outloud...
Did the Vet do a biopsy of a lump?
It seems to me, one of the medical Srs here posted once about a worm subque?, burrowing just below the surface skin.
I don't want to talk out of turn anymore than I have, let me do some digging
anne

If you are that concerned please go to the vet and receive immediate expert help, the photos are blurry and hard to make anything distinguishable.

I know, my camera sucks. Ill try to get some better pictures up today.

I'm gonna try to take him to the vet this week. Ive dropped close to 200 already and the vet is 45mins away. I was trying to avoid a trip if possible. Its to the point where i need to get him looked at though. I have many more questions for the doctor now.

Thanks a lot for the information on the calcium. found one.

Rep-Cal Calcium - Phosphorus and Vitamin D3 Free (4.1 oz) Green Bottle

Back
Top Bottom