Health Issues

Gus Gieg

Hello, I've owned a female veiled chameleon for one to two months now. Recently she dealt with some dehydration (which may the still be the problem, I'm not sure.) I thought I had solved this when I bought a Monsoon Solo, automatic mister, however, she had still been acting off, and she had been keeping one eye closed. I didn't think much of it till now when she has started keeping both eyes close, not just to sleep. One more thing that I'm working on solving is a few ants entering her enclosure, they may have bitten her eyes but I'm not sure

I very rarely handle him/her as it's been pretty grumpy since I got her
For a while, I only fed it mealworms, but I recently learned that was incorrect to do so. I now give it mostly gut-loaded crickets.
I dust the crickets from time to time but not with a system
I have a dripper and a mister, and I spray
I haven't seen much poop lately
I don't know anything about the chameleon before I purchased it.

The cage is a screen reptibreeze, I don't know the exact dimensions but I know its the right size
I have a UV light and a 75-watt heat bulb
The basking temp is around 90 degrees and below the cage, it stays between 70-80 degrees.
The humidity stays around 40-50-60, it's a pretty wide range but it jumps around when I mist.
I have one live plant, it's a braided money tree, and there are a few artificial plants
It's in my room next to my bed a few feet from my window
I live in NC and its been pretty wet lately.

This is her right after a misting, she was pretty thirsty.

Attachments

• IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 128
I will also note that she has been a bit listless as well, I don't think MBD sounds right but it may be a possibility

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

For a while, I only fed it mealworms, but I recently learned that was incorrect to do so. I now give it mostly gut-loaded crickets.

The cage is a screen reptibreeze, I don't know the exact dimensions but I know its the right size
The basking temp is around 90 degrees and below the cage, it stays between 70-80 degrees.
The humidity stays around 40-50-60, it's a pretty wide range but it jumps around when I mist.
I have one live plant, it's a braided money tree, and there are a few artificial plants

No, we need it in this format with tons more detail... answering each question in every section. This gives us the full picture. You do not have enough info with the info you posted so we can not get a complete picture with this to fully help you. Please include pics of your cage lights down. And any additional pics of the cham.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Respectfuly how do you know you have the right size enclosure when you're not sure you even have a male or female? I need more detail. What brand of lighting, linear or coil UVB bulb. Exact dimensions would help.

Right off the bat I'm going to tell you this is your fault do to improper husbandry and she needs a Vet. Yes you have a girl...

Chameleons REQUIRE a dusting regiment. Feeders need to be dusted with the proper supplements on a schedule. Not when you feel like it. 90 is way to hot for a female let alone a sub adult female. 82* basking

Congrats on your new Cham! I’m not an expert by any means, but I’d say that your dusting regime has to be systematic. With veileds, I’d just use Repashy LO D at every feeding. Also, you don’t mention what you’re gutloading with, or what kind of uvb you’re using. It would be helpful to know what your misting schedule is as well as what insects you are feeding. Most people recommend the most varied diet you can offer. Meal worms are usually a no-no. Other great insects for everyday feedings include:

Dubia roaches
Crickets
Black soldier fly larva
Silkworms

Healthy snacks (two to four times a week):

Hornworms

Occasional treats (once / week max.):

superworms
Wax worms
Butterworms
(use of the latter two is sometimes controversial, but occasional feeding is often welcomed)

Repeating what you have already posted is not going to help nor get you any more answers. You need to follow what @Camochameleonhuman had asked for them the help will come.

Sorry about the info, I just copied it off an old thread of mine so some stuff is old, I knew it was a girl. The cage is about three feet tall and two feet wide. I gut load crickets with Flukers cricked calcium food and blue water cubes., the two lights are a 75-watt basking bulb and a 13 watt UVB. Before the automatic mister, I had been misting 2-4 times a day until she was done drinking. I got the mister because I wasn't at home all day or at home at consistent times, It now runs for about thirty long seconds every four hours. I still do a larger misting in the morning and afternoon, just in case she is still thirsty.
Thank you guys so much as well, I have done many frogs successfully in the past but I am new to reptiles. I'm just really trying to do my best because I do really care about the chameleon.

So we need your s
Sorry about the info, I just copied it off an old thread of mine so some stuff is old, I knew it was a girl. The cage is about three feet tall and two feet wide. I gut load crickets with Flukers cricked calcium food and blue water cubes., the two lights are a 75-watt basking bulb and a 13 watt UVB. Before the automatic mister, I had been misting 2-4 times a day until she was done drinking. I got the mister because I wasn't at home all day or at home at consistent times, It now runs for about thirty long seconds every four hours. I still do a larger misting in the morning and afternoon, just in case she is still thirsty.
Thank you guys so much as well, I have done many frogs successfully in the past but I am new to reptiles. I'm just really trying to do my best because I do really care about the chameleon.
So you are using a double dome lamp for both heat and Uvb with the screw in bulbs?
How long are your lights on and off? Do you use any other light at night or are you using any additional heat sources? How many feeders.

I will say it one more time hun. We need you to copy paste that form and answer every single question without skipping over anything.

Gutload must be improved upon... We need more pics to see everything as well.

Two screws in bulbs, nothing is on at night and there are no additional heat sources. I feed her crickets by letting them go in her cage, I don't often see her eat but the crickets go away, also I occasionally hand feed a worm to make sure she will eat and she usually does. I can improve gut loading if you guys know good cricket food and dusting supplements that would be great, I also believe I can take her to the vet this Wednesday given I have the day off.

You posted this thread 2 weeks ago https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/dark-colors.168845/

You were told there that you had to change things... Supplementation, lighting, temperatures. You have to make the changes.
Females also lay infertile eggs.... They will die if they are not given a lay bin set up.

Chameleons die if one aspect of their husbandry is off. This is very serious. She has not had the proper lighting or supplementation.

Here is some additional info:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

There is more then enough info in this forum... And people willing to help... But we can not help when someone does not listen. Good luck with your girl. I will let other members help you.

Supplements pic.jpeg
Gutloading 101.jpeg
UVB lighting pic.jpeg
nonUVB pic.jpeg
Basic Feeder pic.jpeg

I did add more foliage, I wasn't aware my supplementing was a problem, but I did start hydrating more. I will get to changing the light fixtures ASAP (I had been using them cause its what I was sold) also I will gutload and dust better, both what I was feeding and dusting with were low end from your chart. two more questions I have are, This is most likely what is causing her eyes to close, Right? and is there any immediate action besides changing diet and light to ensure she is ok until I have it up and running.

Your lazyness is killing your chameleon. Thanks @Beman for posting the previous thread. Myself and others tried to help you than and we're trying to help you now. But I'm not helping anymore if you continue to neglect your poor girl. Get her to a vet ASAP

I'm sorry if that's what it sounds like from my writing but am taking your advice, it's always very helpful. I am doing everything I can, but to do that I just needed some answers, I'm going to take her to the vet, take your advice and fix everything you said. I am also very new to this forum so if my format is confusing I apologize. I do really care about my chameleon and want to do what's right
Thank you.

I'm sorry if that's what it sounds like from my writing but am taking your advice, it's always very helpful. I am doing everything I can, but to do that I just needed some answers, I'm going to take her to the vet, take your advice and fix everything you said. I am also very new to this forum so if my format is confusing I apologize. I do really care about my chameleon and want to do what's right
Thank you.
Please, get a vet visit NOW.

I'm not going to wade in any more other than to say that these issues could easily have been avoided if you had researched properly BEFORE getting a cham.

You owe it a vet visit at the very least and I hope it's not too late.

Respectfuly how do you know you have the right size enclosure when you're not sure you even have a male or female? I need more detail. What brand of lighting, linear or coil UVB bulb. Exact dimensions would help.

Right off the bat I'm going to tell you this is your fault do to improper husbandry and she needs a Vet. Yes you have a girl...

Chameleons REQUIRE a dusting regiment. Feeders need to be dusted with the proper supplements on a schedule. Not when you feel like it. 90 is way to hot for a female let alone a sub adult female. 82* basking
I'm almost positive I've seen this post before on an old thread with the same issues and not wanting to fill out the form
Edit: lol disregard, I really need to finish reading the threads before commenting

I did add more foliage, I wasn't aware my supplementing was a problem, but I did start hydrating more. I will get to changing the light fixtures ASAP (I had been using them cause its what I was sold) also I will gutload and dust better, both what I was feeding and dusting with were low end from your chart. two more questions I have are, This is most likely what is causing her eyes to close, Right? and is there any immediate action besides changing diet and light to ensure she is ok until I have it up and running.

Your still just repeating the same info... What are your schedules for misting and lighting. How many crickets are you feeding her? We need the whole form filled out. We can not help people that do not want to make changes and learn... You will end up having everyone leave this thread and not offer assistance because your not helping us to help you.

She needs an experienced reptile vet.

Improper lighting, improper supplementing, improper gutloading, and being kept at 90 degrees all will kill her.
She needs a T5HO light fixture that runs the length of the top of the cage with a 10.0 uvb bulb.
Supplements... Look at the list. They are to be given as follows calcium without D3 at every feeding, calcium with d3 two times a month, and a multivitamin 2 times a month. These two should be used in rotation. Pick a day of the week and and rotate between the two week over week. Supplements should be lightly dusted on feeders. They should not be like powdered donuts.
This must be done consistently.
Gutload if you do not want to do fresh veg everyday then get cricket crack, or repashy bug burger.
Temperature must be kept at about 83 degrees for a female.

Temperature, uvb lighting, supplements, gutloading.... These all will impact her negatively if even one is not being done correctly. You are doing all 4 incorrectly.... She could have multiple issues at this point... All are dangerous and life threatening.

I tend to feed her 12-20 crickets that roam her cage and they do disappear. whenever there isn't any I throw in a few extra
I dust the crickets from time to time but I know now I need a system

The cage is a screen reptibreeze, about two by four feet.
I have a UV light and a 75-watt heat bulb 7 am to 8 pm. the heat bulb I've left off till I can get the proper lighting, but the basking is now upper seventies and low eighties
The basking temp is around 80 degrees and below the cage, it stays between 70-80 degrees. I took off a lamp which I understand is wrong, and the temp is doing better
The humidity stays around 40-50-60, it's a pretty wide range but it jumps around when I mist. Every four hours a 30-second monsoon mister sprays, I also have done one big mist in the morning and afternoon
I have two live plants, it's a braided money tree, and a dwarf tree I purchased in the chameleon section of Josh frogs. there is also an assortment of artificial plants
It's in my room next to my bed a few feet from my window (with the blinds closed

Here is an updated table with more info, I'm sorry I didn't realize that's what you guys were asking about so I just kept it the way it had been. hopefully, now there is more information.

Back
Top Bottom