HEALTH HELP!?! My Chameleon is a Reincarnated Cat. (hates water)

EpicWin

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - BlueBar Ambilobe Panther Cham, Male, About 10 months old. 5 Months in my care.
Handling - Daily. Because he never poops in his cage and will hold it forever unless I bring him into the sunlight.
Feeding - Dubia Roaches, Super Worms, Crix in random rotation. Large Dubias - 3-5 daily. Large SuperWorms - 3-5 daily. Large Crix 5-7 daily. He does not eat all of them. And lately has become a very selective/picky eater. Sometimes, just not eating for a day or two. Feeders gut loaded with flukers green nutrition/hydration cubes. I know it’s lazy… :(
Supplements - RepCal Calcium (no D3) Daily. RepCal Calcium w/D3 + RepCal Herpivite once every other week.
Watering - Using a dripper with drips at 3 drops/second. Refill 3x daily with misting. Also has a Reptifogger that condenses at the top of the cage for more drips, consistent throughout the day. 3 to 5 times per day (it dries up pretty quick) for about 1 to 2 minutes. I never (EVER) see him drink. He only drinks when I unscrew the spray bottle and allow the water to pool in the nozzle, he then drinks it out. This, so far, has been the ONLY time I see him drink.
Fecal Description - Poop has always been healthy. Moist/brown with clear, perfect white Urates. Occasionally, he’ll have a poo here and there, where it’s slightly yellow, but never orange (as seen below). No parasite testing, was captive bred, purchased from Screameleons.com
History - He had a brief bout with Gular Edema, but I discovered that was due to over-supplementation on a calcium supplement that the pet store had previously said was ONLY calcium, but I later found out, it was chalked full of other stuff too. Replaced that with RepCal Calcium ONLY and his Edema went away completely.​

Cage Info:
Cage Type - All screen, Reptibreeze 24wx24dx48h
Lighting - 12 Hours On Day, 12 Hours Off Night. Uses Powersun UVB 160 watt on top of cage to minimize clutter. I’ve heard they cause blindness but that makes no sense to me, as in nature, the sun could theoretically blind them too…
Temperature - Daytime temps: 70 to 75 at the bottom, 80 to 90 at the top. Lowest overnight temp: Around 65 to 70 degrees ambient. Temps measured with corded yellow thermometer. But it’s white. So temps likely a few degrees higher.
Humidity - Humidity is always between 50% and 70%, measured with a humidity gauge on the middle side of the cage. I never spray it, to avoid inaccurate measurements.
Plants - 2 baby Ficus Trees, 2 baby Schefflera plants.
Placement - Cage is located next to window. When I was free ranging, he always would try to get to the window and chill there, it’s his favorite spot. All in my room, low to no traffic (just me occasionally in to check on him), no fans, vents or drafts. Top of the cage is about 7.5 feet off the ground. Cage is on top of a 3.5 ft tall desk.
Location - Southern California, Inland.​

Current Problem - He just refuses to drink. I tried everything, it seems… even the shower method. His dripper is always going, fogger on all day, I just tried a shower with one of his ficus trees for about 45 minutes and all he wanted to do was escape. He got really stressed out and panicked. Shower was not directly on him, it was just a really nice fine, warm mist barely sprinkling him and the plants. I don’t know what to do… How can an animal not instinctually seek out water? His poop is not looking good right now. The poo part looks healthy, but the urate is dark orange. He only poops when he’s outside his cage, in the sunlight. And today was the first poop I’ve ever seen look this bad. His urate is always perfect paper white to really really light yellow, practically white. Any ideas?? I really need him to drink, I love this lil guy.

Images incoming...

Here he is...
http://idlequad.com/blah/IMG_1739.JPG
Him today:
http://idlequad.com/blah/IMG_1886.JPG
http://idlequad.com/blah/IMG_1887.JPG
http://idlequad.com/blah/IMG_1888.JPG
This is just showing the water that comes down... hard to see in the pics, but it's really obvious in person.
http://idlequad.com/blah/IMG_1889.JPG
http://idlequad.com/blah/IMG_1890.JPG
http://idlequad.com/blah/IMG_1891.JPG
His Poop Today... it had dried quite a bit outside in the sun, that's why it looks so crusty. But when it came out, it was moist and brown, perfect poop. But the urate is terrible!!!!:
http://idlequad.com/blah/IMG_1892.JPG

Can you hold him and drip water on his nose?. That usually seems to do the trick but I truly believe they go days without drinking. I have to hand water my old guy and there are days when he just lets the water drip and does not drink.

Can you hold him and drip water on his nose?. That usually seems to do the trick but I truly believe they go days without drinking. I have to hand water my old guy and there are days when he just lets the water drip and does not drink.

Yeah, yesterday, I held the bottle above his head after unscrewing the spray diffuser part and he saw the drips coming down and went right for it, drank a TON yesterday. But he's not really hydrated today. Maybe the urate I am seeing is from like 2 days ago... he seemed very thirsty yesterday. I just want to be sure this doesn't progress into something worse.

What kinds of things happen if a cham NEVER drinks? And what kind of timeframe does it happen on? Mine drinks, obviously, but he seems to sneak it when I'm not hanging out with him.

Thanks for the feedback!

One of mine doesn't drink much so I use a syringe and drip it in front of her and aha soon is licking it like mad! But too much and she will chuck up gunck stuff as she's inhaled it slightly .
Good luck

One of mine doesn't drink much so I use a syringe and drip it in front of her and aha soon is licking it like mad! But too much and she will chuck up gunck stuff as she's inhaled it slightly .
Good luck

Haha Heisenberg does that sometimes when he gets overzealous on the spray bottle. He puffs up and breathes all big and then looks at the ceiling. Can get carried away. I certainly don't mind that he prefers being hand-watered... but man, what a weird lil personality! haha

Has it been a while since his last poop? Sometimes if they hold in a poop/urates for longer than normal it will come out yellow/orange and then lighter (or white even) at the tip. That's kind of what it looks like might have happened to me. Usually this is okay as long as it doesn't happen all the time.

Some chameleons just don't like being misted much. Have you tried making it more like rain (drops instead of mist?) some prefer it. Otherwise I would just keep doing what you are doing and check his next poop to be sure it's back to normal. Also, well hydrated and gutloaded (fruits and veggies) feeders will aid in hydration.

Has it been a while since his last poop? Sometimes if they hold in a poop/urates for longer than normal it will come out yellow/orange and then lighter (or white even) at the tip. That's kind of what it looks like might have happened to me. Usually this is okay as long as it doesn't happen all the time.

Some chameleons just don't like being misted much. Have you tried making it more like rain (drops instead of mist?) some prefer it. Otherwise I would just keep doing what you are doing and check his next poop to be sure it's back to normal. Also, well hydrated and gutloaded (fruits and veggies) feeders will aid in hydration.

Yeah it has been probably 2 or 3 days since his last poo. That makes sense... maybe because their body soaks up the hydration from the urate? Theory. lol

This makes a lot of sense, because his poo looks like that with orange and then a tad bit of yellow-white at the tip. I will try more of a rainy feel soon... I am saving up to build a custom setup and have a rain dome or mist king all set up for him. Eventually I'd like to deck out an entire room for him! That's way down the road though haha.

Thanks for the helpful tips and insights everyone, this is really encouraging. He is active and moving around, so I know that's always a good sign. His eyes aren't "deflated" or anything either.

Back
Top Bottom