He Finally pooped!

Morpheo's Mom

Avid Member
It's been over a week, well closer to two that Morpheo last pooped. It really had me on edge for a few days. Every day I would skim over his enclosure wondering if that day would be the day. I've read on here that it is pretty normal for older chams to deficate less than the daily occurrence when they were young. He is about a year now. So I wasn't trying to panic until it went over 2 weeks. Impaction is a real concern so I was getting worried. But then today I found a Huge surprise at the bottom of the cage. Sigh of relief.
IMG_20221119_091503370.jpg

That’s a big relief, for you both. My girl, after she lays eggs, always needs 1-2 weeks before she defecates, the first 2-3 poops. Then she goes back to normal routine 4 till 7 days, she’s 2+ years old.

Was there a reason you were afraid of impaction? Does he eat plants or is your enclosure bioactive?

Wow! That’s a double poo! He’s got to be feeling so much better and lighter now.
Yes definitely I'm sure.
That’s a big relief, for you both. My girl, after she lays eggs, always needs 1-2 weeks before she defecates, the first 2-3 poops. Then she goes back to normal routine 4 till 7 days, she’s 2+ years old.

Was there a reason you were afraid of impaction? Does he eat plants or is your enclosure bioactive?
He has bit into leaves every now and then. Seems like when I reduced his food intake initially he would try to find food in places there is none. I have screen and river rocks in his pothos so he's not eating dirt. Do you think eating into his leaves may have played a role in how long it took for him to go?

Yes definitely I'm sure.

He has bit into leaves every now and then. Seems like when I reduced his food intake initially he would try to find food in places there is none. I have screen and river rocks in his pothos so he's not eating dirt. Do you think eating into his leaves may have played a role in how long it took for him to go?
I don’t think so, his poops looks pretty normal. And probably because you’re feeding him less now, his system needs to adjust to it. Just guessing btw, but like said my girl sometimes does the same and she completely doesn’t eat any plants. All my big chams defecate only once a week. Except the Boehmei, he still defecates daily after 2 years

I don’t think so, his poops looks pretty normal. And probably because you’re feeding him less now, his system needs to adjust to it. Just guessing btw, but like said my girl sometimes does the same and she completely doesn’t eat any plants. All my big chams defecate only once a week. Except the Boehmei, he still defecates daily after 2 years
I am glad to hear that ☺️ thanks. Interesting that your Boehmei still does daily. I wonder why that is.

I am glad to hear that ☺️ thanks. Interesting that your Boehmei still does daily. I wonder why that is.
He’s extremely active and constantly on the move, estimating 1 till max 2 hour basking a day. Therefore I think his metabolism is much higher then the bigger chams, which stimulates the stool.

It's been over a week, well closer to two that Morpheo last pooped. It really had me on edge for a few days. Every day I would skim over his enclosure wondering if that day would be the day. I've read on here that it is pretty normal for older chams to deficate less than the daily occurrence when they were young. He is about a year now. So I wasn't trying to panic until it went over 2 weeks. Impaction is a real concern so I was getting worried. But then today I found a Huge surprise at the bottom of the cage. Sigh of relief.
View attachment 331848
I know how you feel. I'm waiting for Carmelo Cham to poop. I'm going to be so happy. Who knew we would be celebrating poop? Cheers to Morpheo and Morpheo's Mom.🥳

@Morpheo's Mom we have POOP! I was begging Carmelo Cham to poop. I told him @Morpheo's Mom got poop and I'm jealous. Low and behold - he pooped right in front of my eyes (this is unusual). I've never seen him drink or poop. I have so many live plants I haven't found the poop. Who cares, we got poop! Yes! Let's here it for the boys!🤗
It is unusual when it's been almost 2 weeks and he went from every day to nothing. I also wanted to post to see if there was any issues with it.

It is unusual when it's been almost 2 weeks and he went from every day to nothing. I also wanted to post to see if there was any issues with it.
I changed/decreased Carmelo's diet and added all live plants 2 weeks ago. I was finding urates but no poop. He is at least 2.5 years old. I don't know his history, I adopted him almost 2 months ago and I am a total newbie. I was starting to worry about having no poop. Due to my lack of experience and knowledge, every little change worries me. We are still in the learning stage. Ultimately, my granddaughter will be his primary care giver but not until we are competent.

Back
Top Bottom