He eatting only super worm

Parkjw

I've provided many kinds of food available, but he only eats superworm.

I think I have a preference for food when I see things like a person.
🤓🤔

Attachments

• E0737F2B-285D-4C82-B879-36BD2179077D.jpeg
    E0737F2B-285D-4C82-B879-36BD2179077D.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 48
Super worms are actually a good feeder for chameleons, although variety is best. I once had a Nosy Be that only ate supers for about two years and he was only fed three time a week and was always offered other feeders first. Eventually, on his own he started eating silkworms, hornworm and then crickets and even Phoenix worms.

If you stop feeding him super worms and feed him other bugs he will eat them.
Is that so?
Even if I didn't give him anything for about four days, he didn't respond to anything else, but he gave me a superworm and ate it.

Should I starve a little more?

Superworms are like candy. Gotta give them sparingly. Your Cham might go on a hunger strike for them but eventually he'll start eating the other buggos.
Appropriate analogy seems to be in contact with me that that is what Candy.

Super worms are actually a good feeder for chameleons, although variety is best. I once had a Nosy Be that only ate supers for about two years and he was only fed three time a week and was always offered other feeders first. Eventually, on his own he started eating silkworms, hornworm and then crickets and even Phoenix worms.
Thank you.
But it's winter here, so jacksonii doesn't eat much.

I've provided many kinds of food available, but he only eats superworm.
Exactly what else have you provided/tried?

I had a difficult time (at first) getting my panther chameleon to eat dubia roaches instead of just crickets. This was for 2 reasons:
  1. Chameleons have a strong feeding response to live (moving) prey; they do not eat lifeless bugs in nature.
  2. Roaches are both nocturnal (chameleons are diurnal) and photophobic (they run & hide from light).
If I put a dozen fat juicy roaches in his feeder bowl, they will all run into the corners to get away from the light, and hide by remaining motionless—playing dead. No motion—no feeding response; my chameleon ignores them.

By putting just one or two more animated feeders in the bowl with the roaches (as Carloscruz describes), the worms' movements keep at least some of the roaches moving, the chameleon will track & eat at least some of them, and they get some variety at the same time.

This is why I ask what else you've tried. If those feeders don't sufficiently move/wiggle enough to stimulate your chameleon's feeder response, he'll wait for something else that does.

Back
Top Bottom