Hawk moth, too big?

Throwingstones

Avid Member
I had 3 hatch or whatever today, their wings appear messed up. But they are bigger than I anticipated. Will my girl eat them okay?
Picture for tax. She was wondering what I was doing with this box of moths😂

Attachments

• IMG_7151.jpeg
    IMG_7151.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 46
I had 3 hatch or whatever today, their wings appear messed up. But they are bigger than I anticipated. Will my girl eat them okay?
Picture for tax. She was wondering what I was doing with this box of moths😂
Mine ate them fine. They are large. Some of them had messed up wings when they hatched as well… I think maybe I didn’t keep enough humidity and that was the result?

Mine ate them fine. They are large. Some of them had messed up wings when they hatched as well… I think maybe I didn’t keep enough humidity and that was the result?
Possible. I sprayed them every few days with water. I’ve been saving those little things the bugs come in and thinking of using that next time and just putting it in the bottom of the enclosure

I fed her one and it took like 4-5min to get it all down. It was even bigger when compared to her! Now she’s acting weird. Rubbing her face. And like doing the mouth things. Is she going to puke?! Oh no what did I do?!

Attachments

• IMG_7153.jpeg
    IMG_7153.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 37
I do not feed hawk moths... They tend to have a hard time getting them down unless they are a large cham like a parsons

FYI it can take a few days for their wings to dry out and look normal. They always look messed up right after hatching out.
Yeah I don’t think I’ll do that again. I wonder if she panicked at the size like I did when she got it in her mouth😂

Yeah I don’t think I’ll do that again. I wonder if she panicked at the size like I did when she got it in her mouth😂
Yeah the issue is their width and length... Then you add in a veiled that tends not to chew much. So they end up trying to take them down whole and most times the moth is larger than their ability to pass it. So they will kind of like gag it down. You see this a lot with people that feed hornworms that are way too big.

Yeah the issue is their width and length... Then you add in a veiled that tends not to chew much. So they end up trying to take them down whole and most times the moth is larger than their ability to pass it. So they will kind of like gag it down. You see this a lot with people that feed hornworms that are way too big.
Yeah she would chomp, sit for a few, chomp, sit, and so on until it was all gone.

So what do I do with these moths now?

Yeah she would chomp, sit for a few, chomp, sit, and so on until it was all gone.

So what do I do with these moths now?
I only hatched 1 out. And when I saw how freaking large it was I never did it again. :hilarious: I kept mine in a butterfly cage thing and gave it nectar and a plant because I am a sucker and could not hurt it. It was beautiful when its wings fully dried out and it could fly.

Back
Top Bottom