hawaii people

g12orce

Hello, I'm new to the forums so hello everyone:) got 2 jackson's and was just curious does any pet shop's in hawaii sale other feeders accept crickets and mealworms.. hopefully there are other hawaii peeps on this forums that ask this.. thanks guys:)

Hello, I'm new to the forums so hello everyone:) got 2 jackson's and was just curious does any pet shop's in hawaii sale other feeders accept crickets and mealworms.. hopefully there are other hawaii peeps on this forums that ask this.. thanks guys:)

not that i know of...(had a friend that lived there, and he just kept chams free rnging in his backyard, they always stayed there, ate the wild insects)..one cool thing at least is ups and usps still uses "ground" shipping prices..so mullberry farms wont cost anymore to ship to you..:D

Dont live there but Ive heard most keepers in Hawaii collect their own feeders. Just find a place away from suburban areas and pesticides. Get a sweep net and go looking. I catch grasshoppers, katydids, mantis, moths, & dragon flys for my crew. Just make sure you know what your feeding and find a suitable area for collecting. Thats why I limit my collecting to the above listed items. I can identify those quickly and easily. My crew go crazy for green grasshoppers and katydids......;)

not that i know of...(had a friend that lived there, and he just kept chams free rnging in his backyard, they always stayed there, ate the wild insects)..one cool thing at least is ups and usps still uses "ground" shipping prices..so mullberry farms wont cost anymore to ship to you..:D

I dont think Hawaii allows any non-native species of insects or plants to be shipped into the islands. I may be wrong but I think Ive read that more than once...

You may find someone who'd shipp you horn or silk worm eggs to hatch yourself. (Shhh I wont tell)

Last edited:
I dont think Hawaii allows any non-native species of insects or plants to be shipped into the islands. I may be wrong but I think Ive read that more than once...

You may find someone who'd shipp you horn or silk worm eggs to hatch yourself. (Shhh I wont tell)
yeah thats what i was thinking hawaii has some strict laws on bringing thing into the island.. i guess ill by a big net a go out looking for some insects.. :DThanks guys

If you catch enough of one species of hopper of katydid or mantid. You can get a colony going pretty easily. Then you'd have a steady supply of feeders. Then you just go collect occasionally to add variety to his/her diet.

Hello,
I was raised in Kahuku on Oahu and had a bunch of jacksons indoor and outdoor over time. What I would do is make a variety of "attractants" to entice the native species of bugs. I would put lets say a fruit fly culture (mixed rotting fruit) into a 5 gallon bucket and would just snap the lid on and capture what collected in there over a couple of hours. I would use fish left overs and etc for flies and the larger insects. All in all I used three different types of attractants (mixed rotting fruit) - (mixed fresh flowers/veggies) - (mixed meats) with these types of attractants you'll be able to attract many varieties of native insects and should be able to supplement your animals current insect list with very little cost.

Just be careful about the insecticides being from the city side a lot of people around you might be usind them as bug control. Maybe take a drive over to the country side and collect once a week maybe?

Hope this helps.

Just got collect some bugs off the Pali! Lol just take some fresh pork n ya can catch 10x. Jk

It will be hard to find any other types of food in hawaii due to the strick laws of bringing any type of animals to the island bro. But maybe put a craigslist add out and hopefully find some silks and hornworms

When I was there last year,Maui, I saw some W.C. jacksons for sale in a pet store..They were also "selling" silk worms there also....Note in the first picture the silkie in the right side of the photo..Also in pic #2 DON'T yell at me about the FAKE rubber snake in the cage...That was the doing of the moron shop keeper!!!

Attachments

• maui jack3.jpg
    maui jack3.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 165
  • maui jack1.jpg
    maui jack1.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 114
Back
Top Bottom